Revs 2021 Pre-season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Feb 22, 2021.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players report for seven-day quarantine period and medical exams one week from today.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this was a pleasant surprise.

MLS clubs start to report for 2021 preseason
    February 22, 2021
    5:51PM EST
    MLSsoccer staff

swedust, edcrocker and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There's a bunch more there too - Turner, Knighton, Bou, Kaptoum and others.

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan repped this.
  7. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, I keep forgetting we finished that well. I still think of us as the Gil-less Revs of mid-table, mid-season. But they did convince me not to be so pessimistic.

Revs in 2010 and A Casual Fan repped this.
  8. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    So much (still) hinges on Gil, or at least a Gil-like presence.

That's the thing that seems to me to carry the highest risk to a successful season - keeping Gil, or a very-similarly-skilled player, on the field at all times to keep it all glued together. The wheels come off, fast, for this team without that glue.

And I'm not saying Gil is fragile, but he's missed enough time due to injury in multiple seasons that (to me at least) this isn't a remote/imaginary concern. He doesn't qualify for "durable" label.

Last year, Nguyen was the only player who was able to successfully/partially fill the "glue" role. Others were asked to try to do so, but none were successful.

Current roster no longer seems to have that "backup glue" player anymore. That's (again, to me at least) an odd choice by this team, given Gil's history. It seems that a team truly trying to compete for championships would likely have hedged this risk (their possibly largest risk) already.

Time will tell/fingers crossed.

9. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think Kaptoum is expected to be the stirring straw in the event Gil cant go. Maybe that doesnt come to fruition, in the same was that Diego/Rowe didnt seem up to it last season, but I think that the roster as constructed does include plan B

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very partially, I would say. He looked good and effective, but achieved virtually nothing. Trying hard without results is very 1996 Revs.

I'm still holding out for one more attacking player to be added.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it was the anomaly, but Gil did start all 34 games in 2019. Only player on the team that year with 3,000 minutes.

Feldspar repped this.
  12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're also getting a new field installed before the season. Will it be better? Dunno. But it's possible.

edcrocker repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Gil has only had one injury in 2 years in MLS and he returned earlier than expected and, arguably, better than expected.

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #14 A Casual Fan, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Maybe I am reading into some of the reactions to my post - but please realize that I am just pointing out the facts about Gil's injury history. I'm not trying to denigrate his capabilities, nor his toughness. He's easily one of the most enjoyable players to watch on this team and in this league.

I'm just trying to be clear-eyed about what has actually happened over his pro career; and, for his more recent stint with Revs, how very difficult it has proven for the team to be successful when he's absent.

Yes, 2019 was a good year for him - and was the anomaly. He's had 6 different month-long or longer stints on disabled list since 2014 -
    - Many of these occurred in seasons where he had little or no play on artificial turf. (I saw another post here that the new field might improve things. But his injury history isn't turf-limited.)​
    On that basis, he doesn't merit the "durable" label. Hence why I consider the role he fills a large area of risk to NERevs.

But - it is certainly possible that he will be just fine, and also possible that the Revs this season won't ever have to solve for any absence by Gil.
    >> However, if that doesn't hold true, it doesn't feel like there is a solid plan in place.
    - Perhaps Kaptoum, but I've seen so many varying opinions that it's not clear that a Gil-like influence on a game is something that Kaptoum will be able to exert. Maybe, maybe not.​

upload_2021-2-25_11-17-24.png

I had posted this in December -

NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    A Casual Fan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Revs II signing - interesting to note that he partnered in central defense with Kessler at Virginia.

New England Revolution II announced on Thursday that the club has signed central defender Prosper Figbe (pronounced: FIG-bee) to the team’s USL League One roster ahead of the 2021 season.

Figbe, 24, joins New England following a stint with Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC of the USL Championship. He signed with Pittsburgh ahead of the 2019 campaign, though a knee injury prevented him from making an appearance with the club. Figbe has seen action in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, making one appearance for the OKC Energy Under-23 side in the second round of the 2017 tournament.

Prior to his professional career, the Ilorin, Nigeria native was a collegiate standout at the University of Virginia from 2017-18. He played in 38 games over his junior and senior seasons with the Cavaliers, where he partnered in central defense with current New England Revolution defender Henry Kessler. Figbe began his collegiate career at the University of South Florida, earning American Athletic Conference All-Rookie Team honors in 2015 followed by All-AAC First Team and AAC Defender of the Year honors as a sophomore in 2016.

A former prep school standout at the Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, Conn., Figbe makes his return to the region after being named a High School All-American as a senior in 2014-15.

edcrocker and NFLPatriot repped this.
  18. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fellow Pelican!

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Also, expected news, but nice to hear (from Tanner Rebelo):

On Wednesday night Steven Goff of the Washington Post reported that the Revs have signed Edward Kizza to an MLS contract.

He'll use an international slot.

I'm excited about this kid - his value is higher than his draft position, due to his international standing. Report is he's an out-an-out goal scorer, and could be the perfect alternate to Buksa when we want to jump-start our attack to a quicker, more aggressive approach.

VTSoccerFan, edcrocker and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to be good -- the original Loomis (boy's) school was founded by my great-great-uncle. Nope, got none of the family $ -- also missed out on the armored car company money!

BERich repped this.
  21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Globe is putting the Revs attendance cap at 2,400. I assume that's based on the lower bowl, but the article doesn't say if that's what the Revs plan to do, or if the Globe just assumed that would be the case.

A Casual Fan and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Could probably be more, if they opened up more sections - but that's more expense.

At 2400, season ticket-holders could probably go to 1 out of 5 games.

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't seating max for Revs events typically been 32,000? Again, depending on how many sections they choose to open, it could easily be 3,800. Several of the top attendance home games have exceeded 32K. A side note from this list, contrary to my expectations, Revs are 6-2-2 in big attendance home matches. This doesn't include MLS Cup 2002, as that wasn't a "home" match.
    upload_2021-3-1_10-56-55.png

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More tease than promise...

Bruce Arena suggests New England Revolution not done with squad building
    March 1, 2021
    2:26PM EST
    Tom Bogert

Also of note, two player not arrived yet due to travel issues: Buksa, and Mafla.
    Mafla travels tomorrow.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States