News: Revs 2020 Season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 25, 2020.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A hopeful sign - there's room for significant improvement at dmid, regardless of our issues filling in for Gil.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look on the bright side. How many teams can say that they are undefeated with all 3 of their DPs on the pitch? ;)

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We're pretty much full up on DPs, but I wonder if we have the assets/cap space to be pursuing any AM help. Not a cheap/easy position to fill.

4. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the remainder of the season has been announced. Still no fans in the stands (wise decision). I like that they're taking it a bit at a time and assessing the COVID impact.

5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When a 3 month rest failed to improve the injury, surgery was inevitable. The guy is irreplaceable. At least within our constraints.

6. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are the chances that they could do a drive-in viewing for home games in the parking lot, or for any of the away games on the field?

7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better, cars on the field for home games:p

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Code:
    FRI Aug 21 Philadelphia Union  8:00 PM Gillette Stadium
    TUE Aug 25 @ DC United         7:00 PM Audi Field
    SAT Aug 29 New York Red Bulls  8:00 PM Gillette Stadium
    WED Sep 02 New York City FC    8:00 PM Gillette Stadium
    SUN Sep 06 @Chicago Fire       8:00 PM Soldier Field
    SAT Sep 12 @Philadelphia Union 7:30 PM Suburu Park Stadium

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #36 A Casual Fan, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    2020-08-13 09.06.48.png Some of the words Bruce is using here sound very similar to words used by prior administrations, in regards to obtaining difference-making talent at a critical points in time.

It's one thing if the Revs were down a few garden-variety players. In that scenario, Polster alone would be a good/sufficient add, and all would be okay. But, this is Gil we're talking about. I think everyone's pretty clear about how intrinsic he is to the fortunes of this team.

I remain optimistic about Bruce's impact on this team, but I can't help feeling like I'm hearing sounds of the front office snapping handcuffs on to their own wrists.

1293621554505551873 is not a valid tweet id

--------------------------------

Jeff's hinting that because there's no DP slots available, the team basically can't do anything. That's a narrow view of the methods and approaches available to the team, and Jeff is either overlooking those other approaches, or is choosing to be disingenuous.

firstshirt repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Arena deserves our faith. Let's remember that there is a salary cap and a finite amount of funds available for player acquisition. We don't know what's available in either of those bins.

The team has not played well without Gil - there's no doubt about that. That's on Arena to fix - if he thinks there's a better answer on his roster than what he could get with whatever limited resources are left at this point in the season, then it's up to him to make that work.

I know we've heard similar talk in the past, but I think Arena has already proven that he's much, much different.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Arena is better suited than at least the last 2 managers regarding figuring out a way to make the most of other assets in replacing Gil. Still, I'm not encouraged, since there doesn't seem to be any real answer to missing the most creative player on the team.

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Agreed with all.

I preface this post, yet again, with the comment that I remain bullish on The Bruce's influence on this team and roster.
    >> But, that doesn't stop me from observing and thinking hard about things that don't fit in the "In Bruce We Trust" narrative​

So, it seems to me the Revs FO is at an inflection point right now -

1.) they ALREADY know that Gil is essentially gone for this season; his 3-5 month recovery will very likely go beyond season-end
    2.) it is possible that he is already a risk to NOT return for future seasons -
    2a.) his 2 yr contract ends after this season (reports say there are 2 1-yr options, but unclear whether it is club or player option - best guess is club, but if it is player - )
    2b.) Gil reportedly already struggling, perhaps moreso than many other players, with separation from family etc. due to COVID -
    https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-revolution/2020/05/14/carles-gil-injury-covid-19
    and you know he's watching the shitshow re:USA's epic mishandling of the pandemic, the staggering death rates, and its other broad societal impacts - I would assume that a desire to get away from the danger and incompetence would weigh ever more heavily on him as time progresses in any decisions re his future
    3.) Gil has been non-committal on future plans in other earlier interviews -
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button
    4.) Global transfer windows are open NOW; the longer the Revs wait, the fewer groceries there are left on the shelves. i.e., If you have cash to spend, then shop early and get the fresh produce.

So --
    a.) Either the Revs get creative to fix the void left by Gil - trade bodies (to as many teams as needed) to accumulate/collect TAM/GAM, for example, to buy a really legit talent NOW

or else​
    b.) it seems that they are are simply not saying the quiet part out loud - "...let's take the hit, lay low, and just move on to next season."​

>> I'd really only say this relative to *** Gil *** being absent; not so for any other player on this team.
    - With the heavy (and seemingly crippling) dependency that the other 10 on the field have on Gil, it's find a way to resolve that void or chalk up this season.​

I'm very interested to see how this plays out. How this all progresses will help get a better sense on a few things:
    - how hungry Bruce really is for that next Big Win;
    - whether there is still an organizational reluctance to commit resources continually/ ongoing/ as part of a constant roster improvement philosophy; and
    - whether any such reluctance is supported, or opposed, by Bruce.​

NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet Miami has just signed another name player as a Targeted Allocation Money player, not a DP. Lots of things are possible if you try. Other teams do it, the Revs don't. We are playing well but need some help on attack. I hope Arena see that?

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. BrianGockley

BrianGockley New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 3, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so if Polster locks up the number six spot, and all the other positions other than Gil stay the same, then who is available to play Gil’s roll?

Rowe has played that role

Caldwel played attacking midfielder in college

who else?

19. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Attacking is not a word that describes Scott Caldwell's game, let alone creative. On the roster, the replacement pool is:

Kelly Rowe (not that creative, but he tries stuff)
    Diego Fagundez (not that effective since 2018)
    Damion Rivera (completely unproven)
    Justin Rennicks (more of Bou than a Gil)
    Issac Angking (more of a winger/8)
    Firminho (what position does he actually play?)

Of them my preference is to try Rennicks or Rivera first, because Kellyn has earned starting next to Polster and I have 0 confidence in Diego.

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    It seems like if this were the Galaxy, they would acquire a DP in a week, and by next year, would have a way of buying down an existing DP contract. There's got to be some kind of solution - a loan perhaps? - for this year, or we're done.

21. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that FC Cincinnati will trade two players today, including winger Kekuta Manneh.

The good folks on the Twitter.com machine seem to think that Manneh is headed to New England, although I haven't seen any mainstream news sources reporting that end of things.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs announced it:
    Revolution Acquire Forward/Midfielder Kekuta Manneh from FC Cincinnati
    August 17, 2020
    9:30AM EDT
    revolutionsoccer.net

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Manneh was brought in to fill Gil's role?

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I see it as a Penilla or Bunbury role.

Heard it mentioned that replacing Penilla with Manneh next season would free up an international slot.

Crooked repped this.
  25. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our Gambian connection is back!

NFLPatriot repped this.