Revs 2020-21 Offseason

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Nov 9, 2020.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Revs' offseason hasn't started yet. But Mike Burns is gone, we don't have to wait until the season is over before we start thinking about the offseason.

I found these numbers quite unsettling. These are the Revs 2020 season numbers, along with their league ranking out of 26 teams:

Shots: 340 (3rd)
    SOG: 107 (8th)
    Goals: 26 (20th)
    Assists: 24 (t-22nd)

Not good, especially with all 3 DPs offensive players.

My understanding is that Carles Gil can opt out of his contract after the 2020 season. I hope he doesn't.

Based on past history, the Revs should be exempt from the Austin FC expansion draft, since we lost Anibaba to Nashville last year.

Revs getting back 2 international slots that were traded away (CIN,HOU) through the end of 2020.

First priority should be freeing up salary cap space by getting rid of Mancienne and Delamea ($1M riding pine).

2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Keepers: Gil, Kessler, Turner (unless someone makes a sweet offer), Polster, Caicedo.
    Probably keepers: Farrell, Buksa, Bou (although I don't think he fits in a formation that involve the other DPs), Lee, Tajon, Manneh, Teal, Tommy, Jones, Knighton
    Would like upgrades to: Penilla, Bye, Buttner, Rowe, Diego, Sinovic, J. Caldwell
    Should not be on the team: Mancienne, Delamea, Scotty

We have a handful of academy players who may warrant a look with the 1st team, as well as a couple guys from R2 that might make a decent contributor (Maciel or Mendonca).

Ideally the team turns over 10+ players and the new guys elevate the overall level of the team. That top group is the only area I'd be heartbroken to lose guys, and even then if Turner gets $10M to go to Aston Villa then I be happy for him to live his dream.

3. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm concerned that Gil will opt out. I think that between the turf at Gillette, and the level of physical play that he has faced, staying is not a good career option. I really hope that that isn't the case as he has been the best player the Rev's have ever had for the span of his time her, in my mind. Who should stay/go is dependent on that decision. Bou and/or Lee are more important to keep should Gil not return. Buksa, on the other hand, is probably less valuable without the service from Gil.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego's father tweeted out that he would be leaving after this season. So that should open up some $.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's probably best for everyone - but still pretty shocking.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After having one of his best seasons in 2018 (9G, 10A, 30 starts, 2666 minutes - the last 3 all career-highs), he dropped in 2019 (2G, 3A, 13 starts, 1176 min) and further in 2020 (1G, 0A, 9 starts, 966 min). He is only 25, I don't blame him for wanting to leave.

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A change of scenery would be best for Fagundez.

Doublecard repped this.
  8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    He worked decently well in Friedel's all out press scheme, and was able to produce some stats with Penilla and Teal in those transition moments. Notably in 2018, 7 goals and 5 assists came before August, when teams started to figure Friedel's revs out and force them out of their quick countering comfort zone.

He isn't technical enough in a slow build up scheme like Arena is running to really produce brilliant moments, especially considering how much the talent level has risen in the league over the last 6 years. Hopefully he finds somewhere else that will play back to his strengths.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I had noted a while back that it is easy to find a number of reason/indicators that support theory that Gil may not return. I'm not saying that is the most likely scenario, but for anyone to blithely assume that Gil is sticking around is just that - an assumption.

From August - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/revs-2020-season.2110352/page-2#post-38868318

11. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And for us.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't know if anyone is assuming anything - I think we're all going to be waiting [nervously] and hoping. I would hope the team would offer an extension and raise (and not just leave the option there as a take-it-or-leave-it deal) - I doubt Arena underestimates his worth.

The epidemic makes all contracts tricky - almost all leagues are expecting a cold market for free agents and salaries in general to go down. The Revs have certainly taken a financial bath, but the European clubs that would be interested in Gil are in the same situation as well. For most players, a one-year and free deal is the best option, expecting that things will be better a year from now.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We should have moved him when we could have gotten a transfer fee.

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't think he's ever been worth more than maybe $1 million in the transfer market. Transefrmarkt put his all-time high value at $1.93 million in December of 2018, but that seems high to me. Either way, he's probably been more valuable to have on the roster given he wouldn't have brought in a significant transfer fee.

16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    As far as I know the revs received exactly 1 offer for Diego. It was from Nacional in Uruguay and it was for $0. They offered to take him on a free transfer.

Through 2018 diego looked the part of a key piece, a 23 year old coming off a 9 goal/8 assist season, and somehow the only offer the team got that winter was for $0. There was never a time a team was interested in paying a fee for him.

firstshirt and Crooked repped this.
  17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to imagine the Revs offer may be for less based on this year and last. Time for him to move on in my opinion, maybe restart his career

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The reality is that his value to the Revs has been in steady decline for at least 3 years now. He wasn't even an valuable sub this year, sadly.

tsb11, A Casual Fan and firstshirt repped this.
  19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So looking at the roster I would imagine Mancienne, Delamea, Penilla, Sinovic and Diego may be gone come Dec. Not sure about the contract status on Lee and Manneh or what their future holds

20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Some IMFC chatter of interest.

"Bojan is evaluating several offers. In addition to Montreal, New England as well as Saint-Étienne in France offered a contract to Bojan."

This appears to be source article -
    https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mls/bojan-esta-valorando-varias-ofertas-8225744

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Very possibly, but a lot depends on their contract status - whether any of them have guaranteed money.

I think Nguyen and Manneh (and maybe McNamara) are probably running out of contract, based on how cheaply we acquired them. But, at least it gives us a first shot within MLS.
    I wonder if that is just recycling old news - we were rumored to be interested in him a few years ago (before Gil). Unless at least on of our DPs is moving on, I think our interest in unlikely.

22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    First news of the offseason: https://www.thebentmusket.com/2020/11/30/21752039/reviewing-revolution-iis-offseason-moves

Ryo Shimazaki, Keegan Meyer, Mayele Malanogo, and Simon Lekressner all had their options declined and Orlando Sinclair's loand from Saprissa was not renewed.

Rice, Bell, Maciel, Spaulding, Presley, and Mendonca all had their options exercised. Colby Quinones (played with Revs II), Marzuq Puckerin, Michael DeShields, and Sean O'Hearn were all uncontracted players who are now formally signed. And 2 academy players Meny Silva and Dennis Ramirez were also signed to full deals with Revs II.

These 12 players make up the entire Revs II player balance as the offseason starts getting under way. They will surely be supplemented by 4-6 Revs senior players, and potentially another 2-3 from outside the system.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Bruce already has an idea of what he wants to accomplish this winter:

1335725106040025088 is not a valid tweet id

24. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like we've heard that before.

Doublecard repped this.
  25. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's reasonable to think Gil can expect some very good offers to return to Europe. The Revs have to be prepared to match them.

A Casual Fan repped this.