News: Revolution to Sign Defender Benjamin Angoua

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods feel free to merge if we don't want a thread on each new signing.

French media is reporting that En Avant de Guingamp defender Benjamin Angoua is on his way to Boston to sign with the Revolution.

Angoua has been capped 17 times for his country, and played for Ivory Coast in the 2008 Olympics.

2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are like the college student who pulls an all-nighter. Maybe he only gets a C on the paper, but by gum, at least he's got it in on time!

3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to muddy the waters so take this with a grain of salt. I had my daughter (french speaker) read few articles, and at least one article maintained the player is under contract until the end of the French season. I hope we're paying a transfer fee to get him now!

4. revsfan108

revsfan108 Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This (French) article says he was under contract with Guingamp through June 2018: http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/fo...-benjamin-angoua-en-route-pour-boston-4758372

Bilello had said on Monday that both TAM CB signings would be announced and with the team this week - so you would think the announcement is coming soon...

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they learn that lesson with Kouassi, not to be cheap about it and pay the transfer just to get him here? Since there is a limit to what you can do with TAM, maybe they figured it was the best way to use it. Because games in March and April do, in fact, count in the standings.

8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " L'arrivée de Mathieu Bodmer ne sera donc pas le seul mouvement du mercato hivernal à l'En Avant de Guingamp. Le défenseur Benjamin Angoua va en effet quitter le club rouge-et-noir, pour s'engager avec Boston et découvrir la MLS (Major Soccer League), aux États-Unis."

It says the arrival of Bodmer will not be the only movement in the winter window at En Avant de Guingamp and that Angola is leaving to join Boston (!). I guess it's possible there will be a delay but it sure reads to me like he is leaving now especially since, later, the article mentions he played (past tense) 62 matches with Guingamp.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats good to hear. crucial for him, Tierney, Farrell and Toni to get as much time together as possible. I think Heaps also needs to name a #1 keeper as soon as possible as well

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would let the keepers fight it out in the preseason, no need to decide now, he wants the competition

11. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of the loan. I'm assuming we haven't paid a transfer fee and we can dump him after a year if he sucks! The only negative I can think of is what if he's earning $800,000 a year in France and at the end of the loan we're only offering him $600,000?

13. revsfan108

revsfan108 Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I posted this in another thread but according to L'Equipe he was making 360,000 Euros per year (30,000 per month) with Guingamp: https://www.lequipe.fr/special/Football/guide/v2/salaires-ligue1-2016/equipe/en-avant-de-guingamp

We did use TAM to acquire him and since it apparently was not for a transfer fee one would think we gave him a raise? Or at worst an equal salary.

14. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally, as I understand it, loans do not change the term of player contracts, they just change who is paying for them – the loaner usually still pays some portion, but the loanee throws in too. So I think it's likely that we're paying some portion of that 360k euro salary as part of the loan deal.

The risk that SamSam is pointing out is that we decide we do want to bring him over in 2018, but not for the full 360k euros per year. Would he come play for us at whatever salary we'd be willing to shell out, if it's a pay cut? Hard to say. But that'll be a problem for Coach Brad Feldman to resolve next offseason, most likely.

a517dogg repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same issue we had with JoGo. And that wasn't handled all that greatly.

Feldspar repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TransferMarkt has his contract running through June 2018. So if the Revs buy him at the end of the year, they are buying six months of his current contract. I'm assuming they would hammer out an extension before they picked up the option.

17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess how well you feel JoGo's negotiations went is highly dependent on whether you wanted him back or not. I would have liked to see him re-signed (there is real value in team chemistry), but I think plenty of folks on this board would have been unhappy had he returned at even half his previous salary.

18. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's referring to the year after JoGo got here, where (I don't have the details 100%, but I'm pretty sure this is the gist) his first year he won defender of the year while getting paid maybe $500,000 and then the following year the MLS contract kicked in and his salary went down to maybe $300,000 and he was pretty unhappy and I think the Revs didn't do anything for him until a year or two later

Doublecard and patfan1 repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly team chemistry is at least in part why he was not resigned. Bad attitude is what I read. But I don't know for sure.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

21. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry for misunderstanding.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What's your source for that?

Everything I've witnessed from Goncalves was that he was always a 1st class professional.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think I read somewhere that JoGo was making close to $900,000 his first year here, mostly paid by his Swiss club. Then he has a great year, wins defender of the year and his club rewards him by cutting his pay in half! Can't blame the guy for being pissed, but A) $450,000 for the Revs is a lot, B) his agent should have been a lot clearer with him on what was going on, and C) regardless, he should not have let it affect his play to the degree it did.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    To be fair, we don't know that he did. It certainly didn't look like he was malingering or not working hard, he just made more physical and mental mistakes than he ever had before - making me wonder if maybe he was being asked to play differently than he had before.

BERich repped this.