Revolution Stadium Groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part XVI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MM66, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    So, is he not now?

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assembly Square kind of killed that idea

3. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was until they jerked him around for a decade.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big article in the Globe regarding/questioning the need for a stadium in Boston.

a517dogg repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    How did they jerk him around?

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #206 RevsLiverpool, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    The Tim Logan article didn't offer anything new. The same Holy Cross economist saying the math wouldn't work and pointing out the realities of acquiring land in Boston. In general I like that it's being discussed publicly. No hiding from NIMBYs with closed door handshake deals. Get all their objections out now then systematically refute each one.

7. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Leaked talks every fall to gin up the next season's ticket sales, held dozens of meetings with no interest in spending the money. People are funny when you shamelessly waste their time.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in other news, Grant Wahl has come out again with this year's "Ambition Rankings" and not surprisingly, the Revs are almost at the bottom. I don't argue that we are one of the least ambitious clubs (maybe that will change with the Arena era, but too soon to say right now), but his reasoning is wrong, lazy, and flawed.

Again he is harping on the lack of a new stadium in the "urban core." Sure, we all would love to see this happen, but even the harshest Kraft critics understand that given the costs and potential ROI when they already own a stadium make this an iffy investment. But Wahl doesn't seem to understand this, as he has been beating this drum literally for years.

The day the Revs play a home league game in a stadium other than GIllette is the day that the Patriots build a new palace because Gillette has become "obsolete."

Just for the record. my beef with the Krafts' lack of ambition has to do with all the things they aren't doing but could be that don't cost a lot of money or require a lot of effort. Those things could make a difference, both on and off the field, even if they are stuck at Gillette for the long term.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I get what you are saying. Also, I've noticed lately that lot's of teams with a SSS still struggle to fill them, DC, Houston, LAG, Tor, Columbus, Col, Chi, Pink Cow, to name a few. Even in our less than desirable situation and even though our optic looks bad, still we out draw many of these cities.

12. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Many? Chicago, Colorado and Columbus are the only teams amongst the eight you listed that the Revolution have managed, thus far, to outdraw this season.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess the point is that a new stadium is nice, but if the organization is poorly run, it isn't going to miraculously make things great. Those 3 teams would definitely fall into the category, although their stadiums aren't really new anymore.

Remember when we had a brand-new (although too big) stadium? Attendance went down. The attitude was literally, if you build it, they will come, except when they didn't. Or "Look! We got cup holders!" It didn't help that they felt it was all they needed to do (for the Revs at least). The Patriots really did (and still do) sell themselves, so there was no effort into promoting the team that actually needed promotion.

And it didn't help that it cost more to park than it did for the cheapest ticket and all the fans were only on one side.

14. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know if the Krafts can/will ever build a soccer stadium in Boston. I just know that the Revs aren't going to own the region unless they do.

goussoccer repped this.
  15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is a pretty good argument against a SSS - in a suburb or tough to access location. Spend all that money and you can't sell 20k tickets 17-20x a year?

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And how do you know this?

17. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've been working in Somerville politics for the past decade. Stadium is dead there.

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not talking this far. Our average goes up as the Summer gets here.

19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    So is our target to not be the worst, or to be among the best? The counter argument is to look at the teams that fill whatever stadium they have. I doubt it is in a stadium that is 30 miles away from the major metropolitan support.

The issue we have is that Kraft is anchored in Foxboro. Too much invested there, he'll never leave. So - is the Revs alone enough for him to get to a SSS in Boston and overcome all the issues that Boston represents? I doubt it and history has shown that. The most likely scenario I recall is when the Olympics were on the table for Boston, i.e. not the Revs alone, but that fizzled pretty quickly.

My question is can he at least get somewhere where you can take reliable mass transit to get to and back from?

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Union Point, straddling the Weymouth, Rockland and Abington lines, about 14 miles from Boston. There is rail service in there and there is also a stadium drawn into the master plan..

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We talked about this awhile back. IIRC the stadium plot is too small, like minor league baseball sized, not MLS sized. It takes around 16 acres and I highly doubt the developer earmarked it for pro soccer.

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe true, but one thing I think is for certain... there's never going to be a minor league baseball park in there.

TOAzer repped this.
  23. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Weymouth, Foxboro, six of one, half a dozen of the other. There's a major difference between the T and the Commuter Rail. That site has never made sense to me.

24. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ctsoccer13 repped this.
  25. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Makes no sense to me too except that I live 5 minutes from it! :)

TOAzer repped this.