Revolution Stadium Groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part VII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Alan, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pine State Tree

Oct 25, 2007
    Maine
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's getting a T stop, which would make it attractive as a residential area with some non-retail commercial. My they think that a stadium, dead for half the year and a looming presence wouldn't create the right atmosphere. (I'm assuming they can see that bricks-and-mortar retail is dying).

2. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misread me sir. My initial interest in this long standing thread was creating a little focus on the SSS topic and creating the smallest level of "feet to the fire" accountability over the last two years.

Now that the date has passed, and the front office water carriers have already announced a new target in effing 2016, I have no interest in sustaining this thread. They have ZERO credibility on this topic. All the talk is just that. Zero effort, zero results, as the measuring continues.

This team will be playing in an ill suited, empty NFL cavern until it all collapses and are sold to some well deserving interested owners who actually care about the sport.

Close this thread please.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very possibly the case but that just means they aren't being creative enough. A revs SSS, designed right, could easily become a 4 season presence that extends the value of living and working at Assembly Square. It would host Revs matches and concerts in the spring, summer, and fall. Use it to host high school soccer state championships in the late fall. Then turn it into a rink in the winter, a la Frozen Fenway, and make ice skating and or hockey part of the Assembly Square landscape.

"anything's possibleeeeeee!!!"

Kraft Out and RevsFanDan repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find, Dan.

This is a fear I have (perhaps irrational) if the Revs build in Revere, in bold:
    A place like Assembly Square has pre-existing infrastructure and other attractions that could be complemented by a stadium, as opposed to creating attractions organically around the Revs' SSS. Look at the area around RBA in Jersey for example. Not a whole lot right now in the immediate vicinity, even if there are a few bars within walking distance. Development around that stadium is a long term project, I realize that, but if demand dries up, I'm not sure many businesses pop up in Revere around the stadium.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revere has some things right across the way at the beach. Bars, Kelly's, beach. Maybe a soccer culture there can improve the bars from Bud Light bikey coke holes to real pubs.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Right, and if you put a team in Foxboro, maybe it will improve the soccer culture there. womp womp

RevsFanDan and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they did go to Revere, don't expect the hardworking immigrant resident guy from Honduras or Cambidia to create a really cool pub atmosphere on their own either. They will go to the matches, yes, but they won't lend too much prestige to the outside places of revelry. And that's not their fault, just their economic condition. No, If we are blessed with a Revere stadium, then some of the supporters who have a some means should mobilize to support the local establishments, or even create their own SSP (Soccer Specific Pub).

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Revere becomes the new Somerville in terms of perception for "where to live" among the 20-35 crowd, there just isn't enough of a market to support area bars in the offseason.

Realistically, do you think 16-20 home games can sustain year round pubs, especially considering the plentiful choices Boston 20-somethings have closer to them? If it's me, on a non-revs game day I'd just go out in Boston as opposed to taking the T up to Revere. I just doubt it would work in the same way some of the local Foxboro bars (outside Patriot Place) are -40 years later- still "Bud Light bikey coke holes."

I love this sport and (grudgingly at times) this team. Therefore, I really hope the Revs don't build there and prove me right.

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've changed my mind..I'm fed up with the dreaming and hoping, too!

I feel like one of the misfit toys on Rudolph...

We're on the island of unwanted teams
    There's Bob & his son & our coach is Jay Heaps
    And fans have left in droves
    Cuz the Revs have been left by the road

Teams galore, play with style & score.. & Their fans want more!
    They've got Phil & Drew & Merrit too...

A Beckham for Brucey...Henry for for the Bulls, KC got LivestrongPark But we get the wool
    Pulled over us each year...Please buy Tickets, the Stadium's near!

RevsLiverpool and MLSinHD repped this.
  10. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I think most important would be to clean up the beach. If you do that you'd have plenty of business for bars/restaurants all summer. I'd imagine you'd get a lot more of the 20-35 yo crowd looking to live there as well.

As it is, no one in the city wants to go to a dirty beach in Revere when they can spend an extra 10-20 minutes and take the commuter rail up to Manchester by the Sea.

Revere has the potential to be a seasonal Ipanema/Bondi/Barceloneta.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are already bars there which have been in business for 40/50 years. The trick would be to appeal to the soccer crowd and the regulars.

12. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that there was already mixed use development planned for the area between Wonderland and the beach? A series of several high-rises with restaurants/shops on the lower floors?

RevsFanDan repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right - but no one swims at the beaches in Barcelona! But I like the Barceloneta idea, although it would take significant redevelopment $$$ and commitment.

14. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Businesses don't care if you swim or not.;)

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two completely different target markets. You're a marketer so you appreciate that at a glance, there is very little overlap between bikers and soccer fans, making "appealing" to both next to impossible.

That said, maybe there is some connection that could be forged between the Revolution/patriotism/freedom theme. Who knows.

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true, that. It would be a challenge. The craft brew and clean bathroom set doesn't mix well with the any-beer-as-long-as-it's-Bud-or-Miller-Lite, urinal pellet set. But, I think you are already onto something! The Revolution/patriotism/freedom theme resonates with Rev's supporters, bikers and Lunch pail Larrys! You would have to find the balance between too much sophistication and too much bucket of blood. The Cask and Flagon is sort of like that.

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That is simply not true

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bikers don't give three flying ********s about the fact that the team is named Revolution

shanary repped this.
  19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get that... they have their own simpleton reasons for liking it over our simpleton reasons.

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get that... they have their own simpleton reasons for liking it over our simpleton reasons.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent a week there, went to the beach every day, observed no one was swimming. The water is polluted and nasty in the city so it didn't shock me.

I said maybe, didn't say there was. It's a stretch but without personal experience or data, was just trying to think how those two markets would ever converge. Besides, how many bikers do you know?

22. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    And how many of them are of the coke hole urinal pellet set?

Thank you for the amusing descriptors, Minuemanii!

23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting you all to chortle is my goal! (Even if it's unfair ;)

24. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazilians are still going to pack the Beach and play Futebol and Soccer Volleyball...!

They may actually put on a better show... =)

25. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How likely do you people think that a 20k-25k stadium can be fitted into the Assembly Square empty space with parking if necessary?