Revolution Stadium groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Fitton Field Renovations??

This is the closest a Kraft owned Soccer team will ever get to a SSS..!

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So he actually said this earlier in the year, or is it a typo and that's what he is going to say next spring?

And for all you population geeks, there are 212,000 people living in Barnstable? When I was in college some friends rented a house there one summer. There were always a lot of people there, but I think it was less that 212,000. Must be for the whole Cape, and they picked Barnstable because it's in the middle?

3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...but at the end of the day, I think Stockard Channing really is gorgeous."

- Jonathan Kraft, 2011 Revolution Season Ticket Holder Welcome Event

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, they picked Barnstable because it's the "principle city" in the metro area. Barnstable (45,193), along with Yarmouth (23,793), Falmouth (31,531), Mashpee (15,947), Dennis (14,207), Harwich (12,386) and others near by communities make up the 212,000 people.

5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Barnstable is a town, no? PS: I have a hard time getting my arms around the Cape being referred to as a Metro Area.

6. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Yet, according to SBJ Providence is the third best minor league sports city compared to Worcester, which finished 167th. That being said, The Providence metro is nearly all of RI, Fall River, and New Bedford. Fall River is being a bit sketchy. New Bedford shouldn't be in the metro IMO.

Either way, convert McCoy into a SSS! :D

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Barnestable is a town. Infact, the official name as defined by the US government is "Barnstable Town Metropolitan Area"

http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-annual.html

8. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said it was a bad thing to never take the occasional drink of kool-aide, I'm pretty close to you as far as warranted negativity goes. In my opinion the only real positive this year besides drafting Soares is Caraglio, who I believe has great potential.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I would add Zerka to the list as well as getting Benny Feilhaber for free when we all know the Revs could never, ever obtain a player like him on their own.

10. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Said it Monday, March 28, 2011 8:17pm, in front of Garber, the Gang of Four, (Nicol, Bilello, Burns & Feldman) and the 300 or so STH'ers in the now renamed Putnam Investments Clubhouse West.

11. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. There were some good moves made this year (the optimistic part of me), sadly most of them way too late (the realist in me).

13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL but that's Carol Channing! She's more like Shaefer Stadium LOL.

14. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonderland is a shit hole and traffic there is awful. It is Somerville or we are stuck with Foxboro

15. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny absolutely does not count, that was the equivalent of spoon feeding a baby. As for Zerka, I haven't seen him play that much because I don't really have a big interest in watching the revs games every week anymore, but people seem to like him so that would make 2 1/2 positives (drafting a good player is a 1/2 in my opinion because while it isn't as easy as the Benny situation, you literally have a list of names in front of you and you're guarenteed to sign one with no questions asked).

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Why don't more people see that?

17. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why drive there?

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because most current Rev supports either don't live in the city / want to travel via train. For future carless urbanites, it's a valid question.

19. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I envision that there will be many ways to park in Metrowest and catch a train. If you are willing to drive to Foxboro, then this travel will be more pleasant. The number of people that this will be more convenient for versus those that live near Foxboro will not be the same. Many will have near the same travel time. The options for enjoying Boston, congregating, before and after are not comparable. Wonderland will gentrify in the long term. Get in while you can.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for those who plan to do that, good, I'm genuinely happy for them. Glad to hear there's more public transit people than drivers who post on this board.

However, Rev fans who drive from the west should know the logistics involved with taking the train to a place like Wonderland, so here's a realistic transportation scenario with some facts to consider.

Pretend the Revs had a home game today at 7:30 pm at Wonderland. You live in Framingham and want to take the train to the game. You have 2 options from Framingham - 3:15 and 3:35pm. Miss those and according to the MBTA website you're SOL as the next train from Framingham into town is 7pm, which means you'll get to the game late because it takes over a half hour to get to Wonderland.

Coming from Framingham, maybe I want to head in early and drink, so I take the 3:35 to Back Bay. 56 minutes later, I get off at Back Bay and knock back a few with urban dwelling fellow Rev fans on Boylston St. When it's close to game time, to get to our shiny new SSS at Wonderland, we take the Orange Line to State Street, wait for the next train, then take the Blue Line 20 minutes to the game.

All told, it's about a 90 minute commute from Framingham/Natick area to Wonderland and costs $12.50 for the commuter rail return ticket + $4 for the T (double that if you get out of the subway at Back Bay, such as the above). Is ticket cost + $20.50 (+alcohol) per home game doable for someone on a budget? Absolutely.

A driver's scenario: Hop in your car and leave Framingham about 6:30 and 35 minutes (maybe an hour max with traffic) arrive at the field at Wonderland. Economically it makes a lot more sense as you're only factoring in the cost of ticket, gas and food/alcohol vs ticket, commuter rail, T , food/alcohol.

For those with no plans to drink - maybe you're taking the family and/or have things to do and can't leave at 3:30 for a 7:30 game, driving is the better option from the Metrowest where I live. I hope the Revs plan accordingly.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continuing the above scenario -
    The Revs play and it's time to catch the train back. The 7:30 game gets out around 9:30 so you walk to the Train station and wait with thousands of others to catch the Blue Line back to town. The 9:50 was full so you catch the 10:10 and get to Back Bay around 30 minutes later at 10:40. If you live in Framingham/Natick, plan to hang out for a half hour or so, maybe reflect on the game, because the next westbound train is at 11:06. So you catch your 11:06 and make it back to Framingham at 11:51pm.

The drive home? 41 minutes Wonderland to Framingham (probably not much traffic at 9:30 on a Saturday night).

In context: A Train commuter from Framingham will spend over 8 hours per Revs home game at Wonderland. A Driving commuter from Framingham will spend 4 hours.

Which is the better option for you? It really depends how much you're willing/able to sacrifice for the Revs. These are just some fact-based scenarios for your consideration.

22. dirtynine

dirtynine Member

Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    United States
    May 4, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or... just drive to Riverside or Alewife and catch a train whenever you want.

23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: :D

I used to live in the Metrowest. Sure, it takes more time to use public transit (it would be about 50-60 minutes in my case on the T vs a 40 minute drive), but it is a convenient option to have. If you want to drink, it makes sense to take the T. Also, if you live within a few minutes of the green line, it's only a few bucks to get to the game and back (versus $8.50 dollars minimum in tolls)

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right and 71 minutes later (Riverside) or 53 minutes (Alewife) you'll be there. Piece of cake. I'll take the shorter drive and leave whenever I want, thanks.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey believe me you or I would absolutely drink but some people may want to take the girlfriend, wife and/or kids, so for them driving makes more sense. There still will be families who attend Revs games at a SSS so they should be factored in. Just saying the hour and a half train ride just isn't a fun thought. :eek: