Revolution Stadium groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I'm soooooooooo not thrilled to start up a third one of these, but you people insist on continuing to talk about it. Bastids. :D

Copying the post I used to start off thread II.

Just a refresher, the original post was on 12/7/10 (listed first) and Alan's countdown clock from 3/22...

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 193-559 days left!! Hooray!

3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My response was in to this: "Nobody knows or cares about those games." - Achowat

Do you agree that nobody knows or cares about these games?

4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I spoke more-than-a-little too strongly about the general public's feelings about these games. If you could all allow me to walk that back a bit more to "There seemed to be more buzz among non-soccer folk about the FFC than these two Gillette friendlies"

5. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I have heard more about these 2 games this year than last year at Fenway. I met a lot of people who didn't even know a game was going on at Fenway. But this year I have had many people comment of my US jersey and asking if I was going to the Spain game . Same goes with the Revs for Man U.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I made a typo, i meant to write 30 miles...and then my math was bad from there because of it.

23 Miles if you go Jamaica-Way and through Roxbury-Dedham. That direct distance is about twice the length of time. Coming from Cambridgeport, it was around 65 miles round trip each time I went to Gillette. Close to an hour down, depending on hour early I was trying to get there. Over an hour and 15 home on average.

If you are going to take the downtown Boston distance, as you did with both NYC and LA, it is 27 miles. Which works out to be 22-28 round trip miles difference. Add in the fact that Red bull has public transit to-and-from, and the difference is not negligible.

Sure, the traffic is worse in both areas, but in the case of Red Bull Arena, there is public transit. Pretty good public transit. I've used it, and it was pretty easy to get to and from.

In the case of LA, which has poor public transit infrastucture to begin with, the culture of driving is much more accepted than it is in Boston. Sure, Boston is not London or NYC, but for people living in the most densely populated areas of Massachusetts, driving is often a secondary mode of transportation. For some, it isn't even used at all. That is almost unheard of in LA.

Also, since both stadiums are surrounded by much more densely populated areas, cities even, the accessibility to a higher density of people is much greater.

I'm sorry, but I miss how this point relates to the discussion. The discussion is about availability to a market. Within the context of the regions, Red Bull Arena and Home Depot, are vastly more accessible to their respective markets than Foxborough is to theirs.

Now you are just splitting hairs. It isn't about nomenclature or rhetoric, but accessibility. Gillette is not easily accessible to it's regions most densely populated area. Red Bull/Home Depot, while certainly not perfect, are vastly more accessible within their regions. I'm not even sure why we are debating this. It is pretty obvious.

7. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Other than the few celtic and sporting fans I knew, I really didn't feel the hype for this game. The Sox/NESN advertised the F*** out of it, and maybe that is what you are remembering. This US/Spain game though, almost every soccer fan/player I know is either going to it, or talking about it. It was all anyone talked about at the Landing for a few weeks. Well that, and the glories of King Kenny.

That is just my own personal experience with it.

8. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's not forget that road accessibility to Gillette is pretty infamously difficult at times. Whenever there's a crowd over 16,000 or so traffic is horrendous.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way you can compare the locations of Foxboro/Gillette Stadiums and their immediate surroundings to those of the HDC and Red Bull Arena. The latter two have plenty of things within walking distance, bars, restaurants, shops, whatever. Until they built the Man Mall, there was none of that anywhere near Foxboro. Yeah, you could walk up Route 1 to Subway or McD's but that's about it. In terms of miles, you just can't compare either NY or LA, since both of those cities are much more spread out. You'd have to go a lot further out of those cities to get to a place like Foxboro.

In New York, they call any place that has trees "the country."

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing that a part 2 thread about an urban stadium that has yet to be announced generated 500 posts and 22k views in 60 days. Just imagine when we actually have something concrete to talk about (pun intended, yuck yuck).. wow.

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's at over 1k posts. This is, in fact, Part III of that discussion

12. Honest Abe

Honest Abe New Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That link was posted in Part II and, at least to me, singles out Wondy as the single most viable location for the new Stadium, given that a significant civic leader is on board. Really takes care of those NIMBYs

1 person likes this.
  14. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    based on heresay

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on some journalistic integrity. "Sources close to the situation" means and always has meant "Someone that I, as the author, know to be trustworthy, but due to the shakiness of the situation (as you can imagine a local campaign can be) we need to maintain deniability if it falls through".

Read the Washington Post sometime, see how often you see that exact same verbage used.

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's an anonymous blog. They are not held to any accountability standard. They are not journalists. They are anonymous, and as reliable a "source" as a poster on a messageboard.

I've read the Washington Post, and I understand what unnamed sources are intended for, but thanks for the condescension.

17. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come down to Gillette sometime, I'll personally introduce you to the man behind the keyboard at TDIF. I trust what he says to be true, and so do a good number of people here.

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Personally meeting someone who writes a blog is not going to change my view, and nor should it. Believing information such as this, due to a personal relationship, or interaction, just further proves the lack of need for integral accountability.

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I firmly believe that we're at the point of the debate where I've demonstrated to any objective observer that the side I'm arguing is the right one, and now you're just pretending that it doesn't matter to look like you haven't lost.

Homey don't play that.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I didn't realize we were trying to win. Did you win a trophy?

btw, what did you demonstrate? Other than the fact that you know the guy who writes a blog, and are offended that the posts would be questioned.

21. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if we could get some federal funds to get the infrastructure upgraded...we'll be good to go!!

This project needs the Northeast Expressway Corridor completed to really work!!! No stadium should have just one entry point for 90% of its fans..!!

22. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    :) :)

23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, having a Stadium that you can only get to from Route 1 would kill attendance. Oh, wait. You guys aren't still talking about Gillette. Mea Culpa

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I google-mapped 200 Mass Ave., (Symphony Hall, Berklee area) - and it comes up with 23, using the expressway (pretty sure it would be even shorter if you took the parkways down to Dedham).
    My point was that I don't think either RBA or HD is *really* an urban core stadium in the sense of what I think most of us would like to see (like, for example, Toronto or Seattle). They're sort of half-way in between being suburban and urban.
    I've never disputed that point - there's no doubt about it.

25. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol