Revolution Stadium groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That is patently false.

First, Foxboro is almost 40 miles outside the "urban core." Both Red Bull Arena and Home Depot Center, while not in Manhatten and Downtown LA respectively, are still within a short drive from both "core's.'" Furthermore, they are surrounded by high density urban areas. Foxboro is surrounded by trees and a few strip malls.

You can also get to Red Bull Arena from a Port Authority commuter rail in like 30 minutes, right from downtown Manhatten. You also had to take buses to Giants Stadium (do you still?).

That could be the case, and I'd be willing to concede that it is a combination of all of them. You seem willing to grade the success of specific factors, even though some of those factors (like winning and spending) exist elsewhere in the league, with piss-poor results in the stadium.

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    then i guess you are a better fan than i

3. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Tickets would cost me about $200 for the season. I'm going to guess that it will take about 4-5 gallons of gas in my nonexistent car round trip each game. That's another $60-70. Add in the 2 hours wasted getting too and from each game. I spent enough money on this team over the years, and I've had just as good a time watching from my couch or at a bar.

4. dirtynine

dirtynine Member

Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    United States
    May 4, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really can't be said better than this.

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My three season tickets are CAT 1, which while my choice, is over $1300 dollars per year. And, when gas is at $4-5 (five predicted for this summer?) I am looking at about $15 per game in gas if I use the 30 mpg car or another $250/season. Then there is kids, extra tickets for their friends, and food/drinks, shirts, etc. I think I'm probably looking at about a $2000/year investment in attending REV games before I ever start paying even more for friendlies (ManU) or US games (Spain).

So, I can't speak for everyone else on these boards but $2K outlays do get me to stop and think about what I'm getting for my money. If atmosphere were that important to me, I'd stop paying that and happily complain about why I stopped going.

Analogies never work here, I don't know why I try but here goes... I don't like Dr. Pepper. I think it is vile. But revsrock's position, to me, seems to be that I should be buying it by the case if I ever expect them to make it taste good.

What's wrong with calling vile vile and drinking Coke, Pepsi, Beer, Wine or any of a number of other perfectly good drinks?

1 person likes this.
  6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    21,225 thread views and still no closer to a stadium.

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15+ years, multiple front office statements (including ones about Bilello being on a location hunt), hordes of frustrated supporters and still no closer.

8. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You betcha Mr. Kraft ...

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who thinks people are likely to be just as excited about an SSS in the suburbs, let me throw this out there.

Last year, the Fenway Football Challenge featured two teams: One among the best 4 of the 6th best European League, and the other among the Top 2 in the 15th best League. There was buzz, there was excitement, and I could talk to anyone about Celtic or Sporting and they'd at least listen, and most would ask questions and engage.

This year, the Defending World Cup Champions as well as the Best Team in the Best League, both historically and currently, with a real chance to become definitively the Best Team in Europe on Sunday are both coming to play our 'home' teams in Gillette. Nobody knows or cares about those games. I mention it to people, and there's an air of 'Well, isn't that nice?' but no 'where do I sign up?' except from confirmed soccer fans.

Just a thought

10. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    51,000+ (like going to be 68,000+) "nobodies" know about the USA-Spain game.

11. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Achowat and I would agree that, in a downtown stadium, these two events would have sold out in a week or sooner -- not that I want to see a 68,000 seat SSS in Boston :D

1 person likes this.
  12. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this has more to do with the Fenway Factor than the downtown location. Although that was a fun, fun night, even though I don't give a crap about Celtic or Sporting - not just because of the Fenway factor, but for the whole experience of going to a soccer game downtown.

13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a thought, fenway didn't sell out, Gillette is on track to.

14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drove by our future home for the Boston Revs this morning...no real activity, but there were 2 new piles of fill... =)

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which site?

16. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah because there would have been about 20,000 seats. BTW if we were to ever get a SSS owned by Kraft, these type of games would still be held in Foxboro.

17. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely the reason why I'm praying that some sleazy sheik or filthy oligarch comes in and falls in Love with Boston and MLS..;)

18. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well they should be. Gillette must be great when full.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's because of the teams playing, not the location. US/Spain is a huge game and would sell out just about anywhere in this country.

20. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I make no apologies for not going to Revs games. I don't like driving out to Foxboro (used to do it occasionally when the Revs were putting a better team on the field). I'm doing if for the Spain game. I'll do it if someone puts a free ticket in my hand, but my live soccer viewing these day is primarily the Breakers and college games.

As for commenting on attendance, as rkane noted, it's a major component in the financial health of the team. It's completely unrelated to whether you attend the games yourself.

21. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, the power of Benny compels me, and I now need a job so I can afford travel to and from Gillette.

I am debating writing an article about the Revs attendance vis-a-vis other sporting events in Boston currently happening. Would it be kosher to ask people in this thread if they'd like to be quoted for the article? If this one website likes my writing, I will get paid.

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed but you stripped my reply right out of its content. He was implying US Spain game ticket sales were sluggish.

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    under the common

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Meanwhile, out in Kansas City:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UcwbSZpo6U&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Sporting Kansas City Takes the Field at Livestrong Sporting Park‬‏[/ame]

25. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    A foundation is being poured in Houston...

[​IMG]