News: Revolution Sign Dutch LB Alex Buttner

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot, ToMhIlL and Feldspar repped this.
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am extra pleased that he is not a DP; that means we can still hope to see another big signing in the offseason, which would be fantastic. Who'da thunk a year ago that the Revs would be bringing in actual star-level talent for 2020 before 2019's MLS season was even in the books?

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that he's official, I am still assuming that we don't need to protect him for the expansion draft, and can protect someone else instead?

Also, not that this means anything, but if his preferred number is 28 (see his twitter handle), what does that say about our Million Dollar Man who currently wears that number?

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe Mancienne will sell it to him

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Freddy Adu... Mancienne can probably use the money since he won't be bringing so much in anymore.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better idea ... find some way of getting rid of Mancienne without paying him off. Leave him unprotected and maybe we'll get lucky

firstshirt repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we bank on some team being imbecilic enough to pick up Mancienne given the hit they'd take on their finances?

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we've swindled Vang-couver a couple of times, so that's a possibility. But maybe they've wised up on the old "fool me once" theory.

Too bad Mike Burns never got another job as an MLS GM. Nah, his current job of filling his shopping cart with empties is probably a better fit for his skill set and aptitude.

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Color me a bit skeptical of this acquisition. Signing known European defensive players has failed more often than not across MLS and Buttner seems like the type of player that may be coming to MLS for the wrong reasons. Add in the fact that the Dutch league is known for some sub-par defending and I'm questioning whether or not he's going to be worth the money.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Articles like this only further my concern:

Why Man United Flop Alexander Buttner Hasn't Played in 2018

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he's the reason Man United players can't have chips? And in true journalistic integrity, the article says that 10-12% body fat is what they allow at Vitesse (which is it, 10 or 12? Is it more for "Fat Bastard" goalkeepers?) and he "embarrassingly exceeded it after being out for a month due to injury. If he was up to 20% it would be a concern, but if he couldn't train, it's normal that he might be out of shape.

I too have doubts since he's been with several clubs recently, but I'm at least willing to give him a chance. I tend to trust that Arena wouldn't put up with a guy who isn't playing to his full potential due to fitness. And I'm sure that any players he knows who are familiar with MLS will tell him that it is a young, athletic league (almost to a fault) and if you aren't fit, you will struggle.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Mancienne is on a club-option (for $1M) for next season. It's up to the Revs to pick it up, try to negotiate something different or let him go.