Revolution Recap returns Sunday, 7-8PM on WNRI AM 1380 (+ Internet)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Sean Donahue, May 17, 2008.

1. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Updated:
    Tonight's Guests (July 27th):
    Brian O'Connell (in studio) - New England Soccer News Writer
    Lisa Eisenmenger - American Soccer News Writer

Plus comments from Paul Mariner, Shalrie Joseph and Jeff Larentowicz from today's practice. Also, Michael Parkhurst on going to the Olympics.

2. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great show, but a note about the attendance- I believe that has most to do with the team's management failing over the years to explain to the local media and sporting public how non-league tournaments (Open Cup and SuperLiga) work. The smaller market Mexican teams and midweek scheduling doesn't help either.

3. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Archive is up on iTunes and at RevolutionRecap.com

I completely agree with you on the second part, especially the scheduling, which I believe is almost solely for television. That seems to be a problem for this tournament in general, I mean who schedules a game for 9PM on a Tuesday in Houston?

As for your main point, I think that is true with just about every MLS team when it comes to the Open Cup. It's disappointing, but I gotta wonder how much money is divided between the teams, USSF, etc. other than the $100,000, $50,000, and $10,000 prizes. I love the Open Cup, but are weeknight games against mostly unknown teams ever going to be a big draw for the MLS teams? They probably feel their advertising money is better spent elsewhere, especially if they aren't putting their best product out on the field for those matches. Now should they advance and manage to get the final at Gillette, I would be very interested to see how they promote that.

That said, shouldn't the USSF be doing more to promote this? I mean look at the effort they put into the official Open Cup site. The top site for the Open Cup, USOpenCup.com, is run solely by a group of unpaid individuals with a passion for the tournament.

I've actually been surprised by the amount of advertising the Revs have done for SuperLiga (at least for the group stages). I've seen/heard them on radio, newspapers and Spanish language TV. I think they've made a good effort to get the word out there about this and I know several people who generally make it to one or two games a year that have been to both SuperLiga games. I think some of the radio ads may leave the average sports fan with questions about what the tournament is, but you can only say so much in 30 seconds. The newspaper ads I saw seemed to do a pretty good job explaining the basics though. It's a shame more people haven't come out to this because at least to me, the matches have been pretty exciting and a good way to show off the team against some really good opponents. The scheduling, lesser known Mexican teams, and maybe that you couldn't use flex tickets (?) probably all had an effect.

BUT when it comes to the local sports media, when you have one of the "top" sports anchors (who I will keep nameless) comes to interview Matt Reis before a SuperLiga match and the questions he asks are "what does a goalkeeper do?" and "what do you think of the Patriot's player who just re-signed?" Why even bother making the effort? The Revs probably deserve some credit for doing something right to get the attention, but then the sports anchor should do his job and make an effort to ask something relevant instead of embarrassing himself.

4. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  5. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  6. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Live tonight at 7PM on WNRI AM1380 and http://www.revolutionrecap.com !

Tonight's Guests (August 10th):
    Adam Sell (in studio)
    Jim Dow - RevsNet.com Writer

Still working on all the post game comments from this week, but among others there is:
    -Post game SuperLiga comments from: Steve Nicol, Craig Tornberg, Jeff Larentowicz, Matt Reis, and Houston Coach Dominic Kinnear.
    -Post game comments from the Chicago Fire match: Steve Nicol, Taylor Twellman,Sainey Nyassi, Matt Reis, and more.
    -Preview the Open Cup: Steve Nicol, and Doug Warren.

7. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  8. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Live Sunday at 7:05PM on WNRI AM1380 and http://www.revolutionrecap.com!

Sunday's Guests (August 17th):
    Brian O'Connell (in studio) - New England Soccer News writer
    Jim Dow - RevsNet.com Writer

Please send in comments or questions to revolutionrecap@gmail.com. We'd like to hear your comments on recent news, including the Open Cup and whatever happens in tonight's match. We'll read and discuss your e-mails during the show.

9. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Bump

10. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Live tonight at 7:05PM on WNRI AM1380 and http://www.revolutionrecap.com!

Tonight's Guests (August 24th):
    Kyle McCarthy - Goal.com and MLSnet.com Writer
    Dave Akman

Plus post Chicago Fire match comments from Steve Nicol, Taylor Twellman and Doug Warren.

Please send in comments or questions before or during the show to revolutionrecap@gmail.com.

11. Rev Hart

Rev Hart New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I've been listening to the "Revoluition Recap" for quite awhile now and I must say that it's an awesome show to listen to. Keep up the great work with the "Revolution Recap".

12. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Archive is up on iTunes and at RevolutionRecap.com

Thanks!

13. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Live tonight on WNRI AM1380 and www.RevolutionRecap.com from 7:05 till 8PM ET tune in to Revolution Recap for discussion of the Revs CONCACAF Champion's League first leg loss to Joe Public FC (Trinidad & Tobago) on Tuesday, draw with David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy on Saturday, and upcoming second leg match against Joe Public.

Tonight's Guests
    (August 31st):
    Joyce Furia (in studio) - Soccer New England Photographer
    Monty Rodrigues - President of the Midnight Riders

Includes post-game comments from David Beckham, Taylor Twellman, Shalrie Joseph, Steve Nicol, Bruce Arena, and Khano Smith.

Please e-mail questions, comments, etc. to
    revolutionrecap@gmail.com or post them in the comments section here.

14. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  15. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Live tonight on WNRI AM1380 and www.RevolutionRecap.com from 7:05 till 8PM ET tune in to Revolution Recap for discussion of the Revs CONCACAF Champion's League series loss to Joe Public FC (Trinidad & Tobago) on Tuesday, loss to Columbus on Saturday, and upcoming game against Chivas on Thursday.

Tonight's Guests
    (Sept. 7th)
    Brian O'Connell (in studio) - New England Soccer News Writer
    Frank Dell'Apa - Boston Globe writer

Includes CCL post-game comments from Steve Nicol, Gregory Richardson, and Keith Griffith.

16. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  17. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Live tonight on WNRI AM1380 and www.RevolutionRecap.com from 7:05 till 8PM ET tune in to Revolution Recap.

Tonight's Guests
    (September 21st):
    Tony Biscaia (in studio) - Revsnet.com Photographer/Writer
    Marc Connolly - Goal.com

revolutionrecap@gmail.com or post them in the comments section here.[/QUOTE]

18. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Tonight's Guests (September 28th):
    Jim Dow - Revsnet.com Writer

The lines will be open for callers tonight:
    800-949-WNRI (9674)
    401-769-0600
    401-766-1380

19. pawn

pawn Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Waltham, MA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me start this off by saying I do enjoy your show.

That being said you need to stop the Ums and Ahs. Listen to your show and tally up how many times you Um or Ah. Not using those words is a hard thing to do in broadcasting, but it sounds very amateurish when hosts do it.

Um, keep up the good work.

20. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    The guests this week were Brian O'Connell (New England Soccer News Writer) and Brad Feldman (New England Revolution Play-by-Play broadcaster/Broadcast Executive). The show also includes post-game comments from Steve Nicol, Steve Ralston, Taylor Twellman, and Shalrie Joseph.

The archive is now up on iTunes and at RevolutionRecap.com

21. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    \Live tonight on WNRI AM 1380 and www.RevolutionRecap.com from 7:05 till 8PM ET tune in to Revolution Recap for discussion of the Revs loss at D.C. United on Thursday as well as the recent Boston Globe article about a potential stadium in Somerville.

Tonight's Guests
    (Oct. 19th)
    Joyce Furia (in studio) - Soccer New England Photographer/Writer
    Kyle McCarthy - Goal.com and MLSNet.com Writer
    Eric Moskowitz - Boston Globe Writer