Revolution adds Stephen Myles as assistant coach

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by peabrainedidiot, Feb 3, 2010.

1. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution adds Stephen Myles as assistant coach #revs former coach at Sheffield United and Barnsley in the youth level

according to wsr.

just took a quick look on the web... nothing comes up on this guy

all i found was on zoominfo

apparently he has some ties to the david beckham academy also

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I reading this right, he's been the local director of a youth soccer club the last 9 years?

3. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what it seems. he did the youth academy for sheffield and barnsley. looks like he may have done some time as coach for the reserve team and as assistant coach for sheffield, but again, the guy is a ghost. I don't have time to do too much looking right now, but it's not comforting that I can find anything on this guy quickly. I suppose this is no weirder than having the boston bull dogs coach be made revs coach.:confused:

4. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    It is officially time to start drinking now. :eek:

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    See, this is all part of the plot to bring Becks to the Revs

I mean Brooklyn Beckham

7. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. We'll see how he works with the players and staff. It's not like top-shelf coaches are lining up around the block to be assistants in MLS anyway. If he works well with Stevie then I guess that's the most important thing.

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Nicol want's him as his assistant I suspect he thinks he can do the job. The fact that he has extensive experience working with player development is a plus in my mind. The MLS model is to bring in for all intents players who are still raw and coach them up to first team abilities. Having an asst that's skilled in that shere makes good sense.

9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

10. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official release:
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3959667

Sounds like someone who can help facilitate the progression of players from our U18 Academy team to the full Revs squad. Can't complain about that, to be honest. That's going to be the future, and I'm glad it seems that the Revs are committed to it.

11. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Revs got some lousy youth coach as their assistant! [gasp]

Remind me, what was Paul Mariner doing before he joined the Revs again?

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhh! Not facts! ;)

:D

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no opinion. Like (too?) many players, we'll have to wait and see. John Harkes and Cobi Jones have been/are assistants in MLS. This guy appears to have been coaching longer.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering the same. I have no idea (good or bad) about this guy, and the little that can be found doesn't say much either.

15. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least we've added a warm body to the bench.

Beyond that, it'll have to work itself out.

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean besides earning 35 caps for the English national team, playing for Arsenal, Plymouth, ispwich town and a few others and being an assitant at Harvard and a couple of adult professional teams? Not sure really

For all I or anyone else around here knows Stephen Myles could be a damn good coach. he could do a great job with the Revs and I hope he makes the transition from the galaxy u16 head coach to coaching pros. Do I think the revs should have gone after someone with a little more experience at the pro level? ya. I think the right hand man should be a little more seasoned but if this is the guy Nicol wanted, so be it,,,,,lets support the guy

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be miss reading his CV but it looks to me he has one hell of a lot of top level Professional coaching experience in Europe before he came to America. Clearly his work in the US have been at lesser levels but I think he has more professional coaching experience that a bunch of people who have coached in MLS or have been touted for MLS coaching jobs.

As you said--Nicol wanted him and thinks he can do the job---and I guess that suggests we should be supportive and welcome him into the family

18. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We need a reason now?????

19. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. :D Just wondering why this news, of all things, is the reason to start. ;)

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    From the resume, it seems he did coach the Sheffield first team (as asst. caretaker head coach - so it's not clear if he was an assistant and then took over as interim coach. He's not listed as a manager that year, so I think he probably was an assistant.

Regardless, the guys been around Sheffield for a LOT of years. Mariner had higher-level playing experience, but less coaching experience. I'd say the coaching, at a variety of levels, is likely to be more relevant in this role.

I'd guess that Nicol probably likes to run the team like the english teams that he played for, so he's got a guy who's pretty familiar with that system. And, the first assistant's main job is usually to run the training, so being an "organization" guy, he can probably do that in his sleep.
    Because in the lack of information, this group always trends toward despair. ;)

21. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    wait, does this mean i should stop drinking for a minute? or can i just continue?

22. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I trust Nicol, if this is who he chose, that's fine by me. This is totally different than player acquisitions so dont bring up some bum the Revs signed as proof Nicol cant be trusted or something like that.

23. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those were my thoughts as well. In this respect it's a step forward, but it will be hard to make a judgment until game time.

The reality is Mariner was well respected and well liked by the fans that no matter who the Revs brought in to replace, people were going to question and wonder if this guy can fill those shoes.

24. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    We don't know how many options he went through before this guy agreed to the job.

25. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any indication that the youth team system is going to work like this in the near future? It was my understanding that it was a way off.