RevMFLS Loyalty Cup '06?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MouseyTongue, Mar 31, 2006.

1. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of last season Jeremy said he was retiring from hosting the Loyalty Cup and he seems to have made good on that promise. Thanks for all your hard work in the past Jeremy.

If we want to resurrect this cup, I would be glad for someone with superior geekiness to do so, but if you want to play by my simplified, lower tech model, I would offer the following:

Very simply, if you want to demonstrate absolute allegiance to the Revs in MFLS you must play the maximum number each week. I've also been a stickler for having the Revs' manager as your manager since those points are based on how the team does and it would just seem wrong to get points from other teams' victories (especially if they come at the Revs' expense!).

So the way to win this cup is simply to play Nicol plus three Revs each and every week (with an allowance for weeks the Revs don't play). Assuming three teams do this, then the way to determine who gets the hardware (see below) is total number of points from Revs for the season (second tie breaker would be overall points, after that will be a tailgate drinking contest). This method of scoring means that the final ranking could be determined at the end of the season (i.e. no need for scouring team results each week, something Jeremy did with software).

For the less than completely loyal, the scoring could be 25 points per Rev, so a perfect week is 100. Still, if I'm going to tally the points, I'm going to insist on Nicol as coach simply to limit the total number of teams participating. Again, if someone else is willing to step up to the plate...

I'm not sure where the hardware is at the moment beyond the third place cup on my shelf, but if the cup holders are interested we can play by these rules and exchange cups at the first playoff game :D

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but if I think I can get more points playing 4 Revs than I can get playing 3 Revs and Nicol, why does that make me less loyal?

Be that as it may, I have no problem with you running the Cup, or your rules.

3. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    I am also interested...I have three revs and nicol on my team, is this a voluntary cup within our group, or would we need to do something within the MFLS site to enter the cup?

4. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it is certainly not "less loyal" to have 4 Revs, it is simply the point that Nicol points = Revs points. Doesn't it just seem wrong to get points for your MFLS team with a Red Mutts or Galaxative win?

And yes, it would be voluntary and all RevMFLS teams would automatically be in. Basically, it is just a way of assigning the hardware that Jeremy purchased and awarded...assuming those holding the hardware agree to pass it along. Otherwise it is just bragging rights.

5. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've compiled the Loyalty Cup points to date. You will notice two extra columns, these are the tie-breakers. First tie-breaker is total number of points by Revs, the next is least number of points by Red Bulls. If a third tie-breaker is necessary it will be total MFLS points, and after that it resorts to handbags at forty paces at a tailgate.

Code:
    	TEAM	SCORE	REVS	MUTTS

1	FC Lulu	300	18	5
    2	Strikers Anonymous	300	17	1
    3	FC Lightning	300	16	0
    4	akita fc	300	16	4
    5	Sidekicks	300	15	0
    6	edlova	300	15	0
    7	Badger Up FC	300	13	0
    8	FUFC	300	12	3
    9	Yva FC	300	1	0
    10	Masochism FC	300	0	0
    11	Santa's Strikers	300	0	5
    12	Chelsea USA	275	18	0
    13	Outlaws F.C.	250	21	0
    14	muggits	250	19	0
    15	Revs in 2010	250	15	0
    16	The TnT Squad	250	13	3
    17	Someday FC	225	16	4
    18	El Beatles	225	6	4
    19	Smingiel in 06	225	5	4
    20	CO Stormtroopers	225	3	0
    21	The Bloc	225	3	2
    22	FC Kenshin	225	3	4
    23	Eps-BCs Finest	225	3	5
    24	Panteras	225	-1	0
    25	peabraindedidiot FC	225	-1	0
    26	Skyeline United	200	7	0
    27	Lineboys United	175	4	0
    28	Hammond Side	150	17	0
    29	Dorchester United	150	2	0
    30	Lowell Brawlers	75	4	0

I didn't do any scoring for week 4 since the Revs had a bye. Also, if a team had negative points for Red Bulls for a week, I counted it as 0, since I wasn't going to give a bonus for losing points on the Mutts.

6. Blathist

Blathist New Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Foxboro
    Oh boy! Second place! Hooray for me!