Revenue from friendlies

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by DaMunk, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    I read an article that said Brazil was paid 1.5 million Euros for their recent match against China. I am assuming that this is more of an appearance fee than their 'share' of ticket sales and is an aberration rather than the norm.

How are teams 'normally' compensated? Is there a formula or standard fee? For example, the recent USA v. Argentina...does the USSF give an appearance fee (or some other sort of preset figure) or a portion of the ticket sales to the Argentine Federation? On the flip side, did the USSF receive money from the JFA after their match at the Office? Lastly, do these practices apply to tournaments and qualifiers (WCQ, Gold Cup, etc.)?

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, Argentina has an appearance fee. It is standard practice for most NT to have an appearance fee. Brazil supposed to be the most expensive, but their appearance fee actually dropped between 1998 and 2002 signflicantly. I don't know whether it went up after World Cup 2002. The game with China is an isolation case. Plus, the Chinese paid Brazil much more money than the standard appearance fee for their star players than the standard fees. In some friendly matches, the organziers actually suited the visiting team for bringing secondary squads.

I don't know whether portion of the ticket sales would go to the visiting team.

Of course, I doubt that Fiji or Mongolia has any appearance fee.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some horses or something.

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It varies. I actually don't think there was any compensation for Real Madrid-AS Roma this summer beyond travel expenses, as it was a benefit for UNAIDS.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Canada was payed around $350,000 US to play in Libya a few weeks ago. The Libyan FA also payed for all travel expenses, hotels etc...

This was the most money the CSA has ever received to play a friendly and it means that the CSA will break even this year.

Argentina is playing in Libya on Apr 30th and I am sure they will demand a higher appearence fee. :)

6. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    So when an average team is invited to a friendly, it is up to their Fed to get the players there, put them up, feed them, etc. OK.

Next question is, how do smaller Feds (specifically, those in the caribbean) finance their expenses? Will they be able to afford both Olympic and WCQ next year?

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some of the smaller federations are funded by the government. Some are even under their Olympic committee.