News: Rev Roster 2018

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, I was the first to yell Semper Fi and we swarmed over their ships

RevsLiverpool and BrianLBI repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #427 NFLPatriot, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I haven't been paying that close attention so far, but where the hell did Samayoa come from? I really hadn't heard much of his play so far in the pre-season (unlike the other two draft picks).

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He beat out all the other competition (read: no one) for that last Reserve roster spot.

Five open slots left, all on the Senior roster.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly an easy way to fill your roster

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that was back when Latin was still a widely spoken language, and not just in Latin America, either! :p

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Penilla is their key acquisition.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After making a statement that some of the names they are looking at are eyebrow raisers or head turners they have to do better than Penilla, Somi and Zahibo. There just seems to be no ambition with these signings. They may be fair players and good people but where is our Barca? Vela? Gutierrez? our DP or young DP?

a517dogg repped this.
  11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They made that offer to a player who ultimately decided to stay in Europe. Someone on Twitter posted (with no evidence) that the player was Krepin Diatta, an 18 yr old Senagalese striker who signed for Brugge in January, from a team in Norway. Would have been a good pickup if it was him - but there was obviously no backup plan (or maybe Penilla was the backup plan, in which case... meh).

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that as well and think it's good. That said how many years in a row are we going to hear "we almost signed ....." Or "we made an offer to ...... But could not get the signature'

a517dogg repped this.
  15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's surprising they passed over Delamea as I thought he showed good leadership, stepping right into a starting job and playing well. Perhaps it's a indictment on the lack of leadership from incumbents like Caldwell (a YNT, rev acadedy and collegiate title winning captain), 10 year vet Tierney, plus vets like Rowe and Farrell etc. From what I've read, Dielna has really embraced his opportunity. That said he was a summer signing IIRC. He must have made quite an impression on the coaching staff in a short time to earn that type of honor.

dncm repped this.
  16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Great post.

Regarding Dielna, I wonder if he made that impression was because that everyone else was so "poor" as a real leader. But Heaps helped manufacture that environment with his let's share youth soccer locker room.

So, without sounding crass, he may be the best of the worst.

That being said, Friedel is not Heaps, and because there are no Jones level type players on this team - Dielna may be the most "senior" with some chops and pedigree (nowhere near Jones) but that just might work with this crew.

Plus he is short time under Heaps, so he has some separation from how the locker room was under Heaps - giving him more credibility to be a different type of leader than what Heaps ever asked of anyone else.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, I think that's a major factor.

The other thing is that Dielna, having played in Europe, probably aligns more with Friedel's vision of a captain's role.

And, Tierney, in addition to previous factors mentioned, is probably not as likely to be on the field as much this year. Dielna, barring injuries, is likely to be on the field as much as anyone.

And, Farrell, is in kind of a comeback year IMO - he's got to really restart his development, which has seemed stalled the last couple of years. He needs to focus on that.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That all may be true but you didn't touch on Rowe, Caldwell or Delamea. Rowe, especially, with the way the org trots him out for marketing, and the player's own ambition to become a NT regular. I would think these would align into a great captaincy candidate. What better chance to step in and fill the void both for the revs and his own career with Nguyen being a non factor.

Caldwell surprised me a bit - would have thought his past captain experience would translate.

Seems like Friedel wants veteran leaders but an overall young and hungry group.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's becoming clear to me that Freidel wants to rebuild the team from the back and he wants leadership. I'm fine with that, especially if big names aren't walking through that door anytime soon.

20. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm all for it too, but Somi, a couple of converted rookie wingers and Anibaba strikes me more as backfill than rebuild.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Mike ... if you only could do your job.

MM66, NFLPatriot, a517dogg and 1 other person repped this.
  22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why does this not come as a surprise?

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    And apparently the humiliation of Lee continues in today's scrimmage. He doesnt appear to be on the bench while Juan, Nemeth and 5 acadamy players all are. How can any of them be in better condition than Lee? Total crap the way theyre treating him and am beginning to wonder if theyre just trying to not get him hurt in hopes of trading him? They certainly dont seem to want him getting any minutes at this point

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    How can you assume he's in playing shape? He was sitting at home "working out" with his youth club barely a week ago.

And Agudelo, Nemeth and the academy players have all been training and/or working with professional staff.

I'm with Friedel on this, Nguyen has to prove himself, not be gifted a spot due his reputation.