Rev News, 9/4: "Petrovic Won't Join Revolution"

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Sep 4, 2007.

1. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Wow. I read this and said:

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    DC went out and signed quality MLS players from South America who aren't DP's and it's paid off since they learned how to play together. They did that all on their lonesome. The Revs try and get other team's aquisition scraps.

Hey, we have very coaches for this league, a very good core group of players, and maybe a stadium in 2015. Things aren't all bad.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The roster freeze date is September 15, 2007, and according to MLS, "replacements after the Roster Freeze Date may only be made in exceptional circumstances in the League's sole and absolute discretion."

That leaves the Revolution with less than two weeks to sign anyone else. They recently added Sainey Nyassi from Gambia’s U-20s, and, according to the Boston Globe, seem likely to sign his U-20 teammate Abdoulie Ken Mansally, a forward/outside midfielder.

The question is this: are these players long-term development projects who can contribute immediately, or are they simply long-term development projects.

The Revolution will make the playoffs again, but will they have the legs and bodies to not only go the distance this time, but to win it?

That remains to be seen, but find me guilty of being concerned.

The Magpie

4. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    [​IMG]

Revs FO: "Revolution Office of Scouting and Player Acquisition, how can we help you..."

Fowler:"Err...eh...I think I dialed a wrong number..."

5. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know some people hear hate cross sport analogies...however this situation is ripe for it. I tried to see the Revs as the Oakland A's of MLS. They don't spend a lot of money and always seem to be able to compete well. I don't think thats the case anymore...this team has just been REALLY ********ING LUCKY with its player selection.

ALL YOU KOOL-AID DRINKING-KRAFT LOVING-TORNBERG-KISSING-READ THE FOLLOWING LINE:

WE DON'T HAVE A FULL ********ING ROSTER!!!!

******** all of you who think we're too negative. Seriously, ******** YOU. You're worse than the Krafts with their "Welcome to Gillete Stadium, now sit down and shut the ******** up" attitude.

We're negative for a bunch of reasons...
    #1. This is Boston. This is New England. We're negative by nature. The only place that might be more negative in the whole world is Philly or White Hart Lane. If you can't wrap your head around this you probably aren't from here or you just don't get it.

#2. Just because we're tied for first place at the start of September doesn't mean shit. Its how the table looks at the end of the season. Thats all that matters.

#3. We haven't a real trophy.

#4. If the Revs could learn how to market like DC or Toronto...I would complain as much. And I'll totally admit it...if it wasn't for the Fort and the Riders and all the fun I haven't with you guys I wouldn't care that much about the league or the Revs. It almost seems like this front office goes out of its way to make me hate the team and drive me away. I would be content watching some of the matches on tv...or hell I'd care only about Arsenal and USA. Many MLS clubs need to get their shit together and realize who their target audience is. Its not the dumb asses who care about every Lebron James dunk or every right turn Tony Stewart makes.

Its the people who stand outside a pub at 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday, still hungover from the night before, waiting to go inside and watch their European club play while having a few pints and an Irish breakfast.

Its the people who pile into the in the Southwest, New York, Chicago, East Boston, and Lawrence that watch their Central American and La Liga teams play while having some cerveza and rice and beans and fried plantains.

MLS, Krafts, Kool-Aid drinkers...GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASS.

God I hate this club so much I just can't stop coming. They're like a drug. Once a week I feel awesome for 90 minutes and the rest of the time I just hate them. I hope they don't reach the point where they're like the Red Sox for me and I have to take a step back because they drive my up a wall so much they give me migranes and heart palpatations.

6. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Morning Garrett.

7. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    In corporations with yer basic annual-review and yearly goal-setting processes, employees typically need to put down some 'challenge' or 'stretch' goals. Things that will be extremely difficult to hit, but if you do... WOW! Significant kudos, (and typically and hopefully significant $$$ implications).

However, never satisified, if you can hit these goals, the company _expects_ these to become the norm on the employee's goals as the years progress. It's the culture of constant growth - if you give me 110% this year, I'll expect 120% next year, or you're coasting.

Maybe the Rev's have a challenge goal in place. If they can pull off the MLS Cup/SS/Open Cup with a skeleton crew, WOW, what an accomplishment! It would be quite incredible, IMHO, and make me proud.

I think we're looking at our entire hand now. What we got is what we're going into post-season with (yeah yeah... plus a Gambian or two). It's as scary as hell, but could be glorious.

It's just that if we DO win any of these bits of hardware this year, what's going to happen next year? 2006: Got all the way to the cup, 2007: (hopefully) win some hardware - all with a thin thin crew, and open space, and unspent $$$. What's the challenge goal for 2008?

This scares me most of all... it feels like the cold-ass truth that the staff is incentivized _not_ to spend, as many have speculated.

Or all this speculation could be made alot simpler if we had just been in the same farging business as the other 10 teams and actually played the game. It's like the staff of the other teams are stock traders and commodities managers, and the Rev's are staffed with Internet surfers and TV watchers.

Thanks for listening.

Kevin D.

8. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    no it ain't. for so many reasons, it aint.

those people aren't thier for football, for the most part, thier thier for a slice of home.
    get a clue.

you guys talk like we are the bruins.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We compete for attention as the fourth team in the city with them.

[EDITED]

I would say at least 2/3 of the people who pile into the Landing on the weekends are Americans. So that kills you "looking for a slice of home argument" Maybe in the southwest that is the case, but as immigrants join society they change. Look at the Kearns for example. They're straight off the boat and they follow their local club here and their clubs over there...even if one has no history and the other club is a joke. :D

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    What's the difference when they're one in the same?

11. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    [EDITED]
    Some american poser that loves some euro team is not the person you build a marketing plan around. And 1/3 of the people YOU cite as piling into places to see thier home countries games support teams WORSE attendance than the REVS in thier home countries.

Why can't we be more like Irish league or Honduran league football. LOL as if.

12. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    difference is, in most cases, in thier home countries, thier local team DRAWS LESS than the revs, and has a WORSE PRODUCT on the field.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    So what, it's their local team. Their local team might only draw 900 supporters in a decrepit old stadium, the club playing in the 3rd or 4th division... but it's still their team, and that's what they chose to rally behind: both the team and what it represents to them.

14. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you really just say "as if"?

[​IMG]

Yes it is. You have to incorporate people that already love football. You have to have a plan that attacks fans on all fronts, not just the ones with the most money. Sure you can sell group tickets to little jimmy and the five year old Sudbury Super Soccer Shooters Club. But if you make something cool when you're five or six why would you care when you're 17,18, or 19? You have to make it like something adults want to go to...like in Toronto. Why do they seem to get a huge range of 18-25 year olds at their games...yet I bet outside of the fort the age of the average fan is what 11?

Disney World is cool when you're 10...Disney World is not cool when you're 25.

I'm tired of games where these little kids know ******** all about whats going on and they only get noisy when they're on the jumbotron! HOLY SHIT! You're face is on a big screen oh my god I better wave and make a funny face and not pay attention to the game.

I never suggested we be like the Irish League or Honduran league but I bet their atmosphere and fan base is a lot better than ours. ********, I've been to JV Games where the atmosphere is better than the morgue. 3/4 of the stadium is empty and the rest of it is sitting on their asses and trying to start the stupid wave.

15. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    we have a better FO than them.
    We out draw them.
    We out market them.
    We have a better product on the field than they have on the ice.

16. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    uh, so, the point is, you'd never get them to go to rev games, if they didn't go to games in thier home countries, and now only go together with expats for a slice of home.

gag me with a spoon. do i have to esplain everyting?

17. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    careful with the other league comparrisons. Ireland may be an ok comparrison, but honduras? there are a lot of central and south american teams who's fan base is very poor, hence the lower attendence. part of why you see the most popular biggest teams in the big cities (more jobs, more $, etc).

18. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [EDITED]

You have no idea what you're talking about it. We're talking about AMERICANS who follow the EPL, SPL, Serie-A (or as I call the Corrupt A) or La Liga or the French League or Bundesleiga. Get the kids who fall for the game while at school abroad. THESE PEOPLE LIKE THE GAME AND UNDERSTAND IT! WHY WOULDN'T YOU MARKET TO THEM?

If you get people some Europeans and Latinos, thats great, too.

19. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

You'll do WHAT???

internet tough guy.

20. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope its just internet talk for you sake. :eek:

21. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    exactlly. if someone taps my toe at the restroom @ Gilette i'll know who it is! lol

22. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You inability to understand anything we're saying is driving me to spout such angry frustrations. Don't take it as a threat. I'm just pissed that you are sucking
    up to the Kraft's teet. Its priceless. I'm far from an internet tough guy.

If you want a stadium atmosphere composed of little kids who aren't paying attention to the game and more concerned with Slyde and the jumbotron. Be my guest.

All I know is I see whats going on in Toronto, DC, and Chicago and I wonder why can't the Revs do something like that or develop that type of support.

23. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good one.

you're still wrong about the revs but this thread has been lacking a Craig David reference.

EDIT: this is in reference to REV-Oke...just to spare all the confusion I figured I'd clear that up.

24. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its got a Clueless reference.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Big soccer has a don't ask don't tell policy....
    [​IMG]
    Not that there is anything wrong with that