Rev News, 8/24

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Aug 24, 2006.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Fire snuff Revolution out of US Open Cup
    By Frank Dell'Apa, Globe Staff | August 24, 2006

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2006/08/24/fire_snuff_revolution_out_of_us_open_cup/

Fire heat up, gain revenge vs. Revs
    By Jack Daniel Chavez / MLSnet.com Staff
    08/24/2006 01:42AM

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060824&content_id=70204&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Revs Fall in Open Cup Quarterfinal to Fire, 2-1
    Chicago’s successful penalty kick decides game after Twellman knots score.
    By Revolutionsoccer.net

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=20688&pcid=115

Chicago’s Controversial Penalty Kick Knocks Revs Out of U.S. Open Cup
    By PaddockTalk.com, 8/24/06

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=39772

Sports briefs: Revolution unable to find Fire escape
    By Herald wire services
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 - Updated: 03:04 AM EST

http://sports.bostonherald.com/otherSports/view.bg?articleid=154244

Fire back in semis
    By Luis Arroyave, Chicago Tribune staff reporter
    August 23, 2006, 10:30 PM CDT

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...23fire,1,6487026.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

2. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not strictly Rev related, but for those of you wondering if/when other leagues consider retroactive punishment for in-game action, they're wondering just that about yesterday's Man City/Portsmouth game. (Clip of incedent here)

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    That could have been Michael Parkhurst laid out and needing oxygen last Sunday after Jaqua's elbow, but to this point, it seems as if no action will be taken against him.

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"but lost Pat Noonan, who appeared to injure his right leg and limped off the field behind the Chicago goal in the 65th minute. The status of Noonan, who was replaced by Jose Cancela four minutes later, has not been determined for the RevolutionColumbus game Sunday."

Any insiders have further info on Noonan??

Is it wrong that I'm hoping he has to sit out a few matches??:eek:

Maybe we can see if Willie Simms can get it done......

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noonan for what its worth has done nothing since coming back,,,his touch sucks, he seems to not want to take a shot and does not hustle. Always been in Noonans corner but this may be a good thing,,,,sit his but down and get someone who is hungry. Please Stevie,,,no Khano at forward!!!

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sims at forward, Khano on the wing.

What I'd really like to see at this point, and even I can't believe I'm saying this...

------------------Reis------------------
    ----Heaps-----Parkhurst------John----
    ----------Deuce------Joseph---------
    -Dorman-------Pepe---------Smith---
    ----------Sims------Twellman--------

With Demps going back to where he played early last year and was most successful. He'd obviously not be a strict DM, but with the ability to basically do whatever he wanted.

7. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

may as well be this:(

------------------Reis------------------
    ---------------Parkhurst----------------
    ----------Deuce-----------------------
    -Dorman-------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------

it's pretty much what we've been playing with the last 2 months:mad:

8. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with where Dempsey should play. He's been played out of position the whole season. If he had success coming from deep midfield, put him there. I can understand Nicol wanting to keep Dorman on the field b/c he has gotten so much better this season and IMO Dorman was the reason why we won a couple of games early this season.

The only thing I'd change with your line up Monty is have Riley in instead of Smith. But I do want to see what Sims can do b/c he has impressed with the little time he's had. He's fast and he can create havoc. We need something new...

9. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Although I hope that this is not a reoccurence of the back injury that was causing Noonan's other injury problems earlier in the year, regardless if it is minor or major I agree it may be a good chance for Simms to see more time up top. Although more than likely it would be Demps up top...

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the something new is why I want Smith on the wing. He played pretty well for the bit he played against Chicago, and at times it really does look like Giggles need to sit.

11. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    call me when this headline comes out

Nicol purchases 1 way ticket back to Scotland
    :(

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting blog out of Chicago.

13. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    Ugh.

Not only do we suck out loud, but we're still the biggest whiners in the league. This team couldn't be more unlikeable if they tried.

Clean house this winter.

14. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    So has Nicol completely lost this team, or does TNT already have his bags packed for Europe?

15. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Maybe you should follow a team of lovable galloots like the Fire, or a group of salt-of-the-earth sods like RBNY.

They've been plaing like pure, unadulterated guano, but I can't blame anyone for getting in a scuffle with Fire players after the game. Dempsey's comments sound right on, and while I don't agree with Nicol, at least someone's complaining to the refs (the time wasting in this one was simple UNBELIEVABLE).

And as far as Twellman's concerned - imo he happens to be right. He's stuck in an organization that has (seemingly) little ambition other than to be in the sixtieth percentile that makes the playoffs, with a style of play that features a "tranquilizer offense", and is conspicuously disinterested in exerting any effort to bring in players that might add a spark or share the load. This in a league that overtly keeps domestic player salaries down while refusing to let said players head for greener pastures when opportunity knocks.

I'd be frustrated. Hell, I am frustrated.
    But if you don't see that the players have reason to complain, it's hard for me to imagine what the "cleaned house" would look like after you took out the trash.

16. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after thinking about it for all of 30 seconds, here is what I'd like to see in a cleaned house

1. Kraft (father and son) gone - I'll come back to this
    2. Sunil gone - I'll cover this with Kraft and I'm leaving Craig and Mike Burns alone for the moment
    3. SN gone - I don't think he is great at the in-game coaching. But I do recognize that some of his personel problems may not be entirely of his making. Items 1 and 2 haven't helped him that I can tell. Maybe if they were replaced by someone who cared he'd do better. If not, he's probably going to catch on with another MLS team (he'd be a great candidate for the next expansion club) and that team migh give him better support.
    4. Dempsey gone - he should go to Europe, he wants to go to Europe, and MLS should show some reasonableness here. Otherwise a "feeder league" will get the reputation of being too greedy.
    5. Twellman gone - he gave us some good years. If he can catch on in Europe let him.
    6. Franchino gone - It's been time for 3 years
    7. Pepe gone - unless whomever replaces SN, should item 3 happen, has a different opinion. This is good for Pepe as well. He might get a better shot somewhere else.

There will of course be big holes to fill and an important acquisition cycle in the off season. Items 1, 2, and 3 need to be addressed.

Item 1 simply isn't going to happen. Look, I love that Kraft brought soccer to New England but he needs to give a damn and it isn't clear he does. He's the owner operator so at some level he's gotta take the rap for not spending any money on salaries and new acquisitions. He's gotta answer why part time (and that is being generous) Sunil is of any value to this organization. He's got to put together a bigger management team for scouting and signing players. After 11 years, the REVs still seem to be the worst team at manipulating the league offices. Is Sunil the Kevin Payne of the Revolution? If so, that is sad. He's never here. It goes on and on. The REVs are a very thin organization.

"If Kraft goes, so do the Revolution..." I can hear it now. Well, look at the attendance. The Revolution are on their way out anyway. They've lost all the parking revenue and attendance is dwindling @ 10 year old season ticket rates.

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You forgot to fire a few people.

I can see it now: 20010 expansion target: Foxboro, MA.