Rev News, 10/22: Training Ground Dust-Up?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Oct 22, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Revolution in fighting mood
    By Frank Dell'Apa, Globe Staff | October 22, 2004
    http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2004/10/22/revolution_in_fighting_mood/

I wonder if Dempsey's an Astros fan...

A familiar feeling with this Crew: Pierce recalls '02 playoffs
    By Gus Martins, Boston Herald, Friday, October 22, 2004
    http://sports.bostonherald.com/soccer/view.bg?articleid=50261

Revs show fighting spirit in practice
    By Gus Martins/ Revolution Notebook, Boston Herald, Friday, October 22, 2004
    http://sports.bostonherald.com/soccer/view.bg?articleid=50260

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope the team brings all that fight with them tomorrow evening.

GO REVS

3. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    A training ground dust-up and nobody invited Pierce?! ;)

I haven't heard any of the erstwhile Pierce-bashers come out and admit it, but this guy (Pierce) seems to have matured a lot this year - and it's definitely helped his game.

4. Anti-BigFrank

Anti-BigFrank New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Contract years make people do strang things. Lets enjoy Rustys last couple matches with the Revs because I'm betting he's outta here.

He has unfairly been trashed for the last 2-3 years for injuries and being a hot head. (Franchino missed the last 3 months this year and the last month of last year and it's never mentioned.)

Lets face, he is underpaid and very valuable to this team. He will be missed.

5. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  8. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Two guys named Dempsey and Noonan get into it. Now that's what I call par for the course.

My only beef with Rusty, who I have always liked, was that cutesy smile he gave after making a poor decision and blasting the ball into the stands at DC. I hate that crap. Stupidity is one thing. Laughing it off like Bobby Convey is inexcusable. Dempsey or Noonan should bashed him one then and there.

9. Anti-BigFrank

Anti-BigFrank New Member

Sep 28, 2004

Note to Marc Connolly: If you are going to write about the match at least know what's going on with the team.

"defenders such as Avery John, Rusty Pierce and Joey Franchino will need to be organized and smart"

It was reported last week that Franchino underwent 2 surgeries (knee and hip) and is done for the season.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    From the FDA article:

New England Soccer Hall of Fame inductees include...Sunil Gulati and Robert Kraft of the Revolution....

Huh?

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Here's a late one from the Associated Press:

For one week at least, Boston lives up to its name: the Hub
    By Jennifer Peter, Associated Press Writer **|** October 22, 2004
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...at_least_boston_lives_up_to_its_name_the_hub/

BOSTON -- How much can Bostonians handle? More than a hundred thousand fans are expected to descend on the city this weekend to watch some crew races. A playoff game kicks off on Saturday evening at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro as the New England Revolution soccer team begins its postseason. Less than 24 hours later, the same field will host a marquee matchup between two undefeated football archrivals as the New England Patriots try to notch a record 18th straight regular season victory...

<snip>

As the Sox game gets under way, the New England Revolution will begin its Major League Soccer playoff against Columbus in Foxboro.

''That one's probably pretty low on everyone's radar screen,'' said Mike Henry, a lifelong Massachusetts sports fan from Milton who was pondering the convergence of so many big games in his midst..."

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be back without a doubt.

13. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    I'm so pumped I'm sitting in the Fort tonight. (The fact that wifey is not going has not influenced my decision). :cool:
    No mercy.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    UNFAIRLY?

1) He has been injury prone, and
    2) he has been a hot head.

I'll agree that he is doing "somewhat" better this year, but in the critical, Chicago regular season-ender, he was screaming in the face of the referee. Only the tolerance of the referee saved him there.

15. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, here's to hearing about a 'Dust up' during the training session on the 29th!!

And to having everyone keep their head on the 31st.

16. Anti-BigFrank

Anti-BigFrank New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    It has been reported in the Foxboro Times Gazette that another Training Ground Dust-Up occurred today.

Joe-Max Moore and Carlos Llamosa had to be separated by Steve Nicol after Moore accused Llamosa of using high cost US prescription drugs instead of his company’s Canadian drugs.

Moore, who was on the stationary bike preparing for a “Curt Shilling like” comeback on Saturday, threw his water bottle at Llamosa. Adin Brown and Joey Franchino, who were in the whirlpool recovering from recent surgeries, came to the assistance of Llamosa. Unfortunately, they both tripped on Steve Howie (who was icing his leg) and banged heads. Brown suffered another concussion and Franchino tore off a toenail.

“We were having a good morning and everyone was banging," Nicol said. "Everyone is ready to go and they want the game to come. It's always been like that. We have a big game coming up and everyone is keyed up. Nobody is hanging back”, not even our 4 starters who are out for the season and the other guy who took up a roster spot.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    If you believe Big Frank, he'd probably say Howey was icing his liver ;-)