Rev News, 1/21: Norwegian team makes bid in Twellman

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Jan 21, 2007.

1. HaraldNatvik

HaraldNatvik New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    John Avery is not a key player in my mind and we could easily let him go as long as we'd be willing to replace him with someone better, younger and more talented. Shalrie Joseph didn't have the best season last year in my mind, but we can't lose too many players before the season. Dempsey leaving was tough enough and has weakened us.

Harald

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree about John as he is a bargain and played great down the stretch last year and the playoffs.

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he's not key but the Revs record when he's on the field has been better than when he's not. He's a very experienced defender with 100 Caps for his country. He adds a maturity that will be hard to replace. The Revs have just added a few players that may well be his replacement but they will likely require time to get up to MLS standards. I for one hope we keep John for another year.

4. HaraldNatvik

HaraldNatvik New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah, he had a good run at the end of last season, but he's still not a key player in my mind as he has not impressed me generally. But as long as he's not a big post on the wagelist and he's showing a good attitude, I would also be very pleased to see him stay.

Harald

5. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I guess I'd give Twellman a silly nickname if he completely owned my team over the past two seasons. Mine would be far more creative, though.

6. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mellonhead is actually been his nickname, I didn't make it up. BTW, have fun watching us in CONCACAF this year. [​IMG]

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. He has referred even to himself as Mellonhead...

I have no problem with the nickname....but I'm just trying to decide what will feel better...beating DCU again in the ECF at RFK and denying them a shot at the Cup or watching DCU move to the the WC playoffs and beating them at RFK in the Cup Final....

decisions, decisions:D

8. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well while you're thinking, have fun watching us in CONCACAF. We'll try not to choke at the last minute like you guys did last year.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As I said, I think something must have been affecting his performance last season, because a guy his age doesn't all of the sudden *lose* the basic skills of trapping, dribbling, heading, shooting and passing. So, I do expect he'll return to the form he showed in '04 and '05 and be a contender for the league's leading goal getter.

As for keeping him here, two points. One, an offer of a $50K raise, which would be somewhere around %30 based on your salary figure, would probably be enough to entice him extend his contract a few years.

But, secondly and most important, that, nor any extension, doesn't necessarily keep him here. ANY team in the world can come in and make a good enough offer to MLS/Revs and he'd be gone. So, no matter what you pay him, there's no guarantee he'll stay.

And, if the Revs find a productive way to use the Dempsey-replacement money, they may be more receptive to sizable offers for other players - such as TT.

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Well, he was playing through some injuries if I recall, a hernia being one I think.

11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Or like you guys blew a two goal lead in the copa sudamericana and got blown out in Mexico in 2005?

Oh yeah, you guys did beat a Carribbean team. Way to represent. The partiotic parade in my hometown the following morning made me late for work.:rolleyes:

12. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'll tell you one thing, it's a lot more than you guys ever did.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that ... we did end your season last year. :D

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heretic. You'll burn in hell for that one.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Agreed!

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Your recent trend is troubling. Embarassing losses in the CCC and CS. Lost 4-0 at home against Chicago in the playoff return leg. Fell completely apart the second half of last year. Managing only one goal in two playoff home games while choking to us.

It's no wonder why your rascist coach thought it was a better job teaching Jonathan Bornstein how to play left back than righting your sinking ship.

Sure, we've lost three times in extra time in MLS Cup finals. However, all the real estate agents in the world, that don't know a soccer ball from a curling broom, can't help you guys regain your glory days.

Good luck in the invitaliga. Luckily, not that many americans speak spanish and subscribe to the channels you'll be getting embarrassed on.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can just picture you typing this message and laughing gleefully as you do so... :D

18. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure I've said/done worse than that:D

19. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's so racist then why is he coaching for the USA? Dumbass.

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Can we stop feeding the trolls and get this thread back on topic?

Thank you,

The Magpie

21. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that I wasn't even trolling. :mad:

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You can still be a troll and not troll.

In any event, let's get this tread back on topic; truth-be-told it seems to be the only interesting thing going on that's New England-related at the moment.

23. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah back on topic. Mellon needs to be in Germany, not Norway. If it's Norway or MLS, he's better off here. With Dempsey and Twells gone, all the screaming teenage girls aren't going to be at Gillette anymore. :D

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'd agree that he's better off here, even if Norway could offer a better payday, if but for no other reason than to stay on the radar for USMNT consideration.

No screaming teenage girls at Gillette? Who will the Fire supporters get out-sung/cheered from now :D ?

The Magpie

25. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4501189.html

United was to host the Dynamo on Aug. 1 in both teams' last Group B round-robin match, but the D.C. club was unable to secure RFK Stadium because of a scheduling conflict with the Washington Nationals. The teams instead will meet that same evening at Robertson Stadium.

:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA:D

Have fun watching your "home leg" in Houston!! Or will you just stay home and watch baseball in your stadium???

At least we have our home matches in Bermuda...You dumbasses choose to go to the toilet that is Houston, TX:p