Rev-dallas Pre Game

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd have to take Deering over Hernandez and Ralston over Broome.

Deering is assumed to be overrated because you never hear anything about him. Well, that's his job. He's supposed to be a steadying influence in the middle serving to enhance the possiblities for others to do something spectacular. He is far more consistent and reliable than Hernandez.

Ralston is a no-brainer over Broome. Broome is one of my favorites for his come-out-of-nowhere season, but Ralston has a long history of deadly outings against us. It's true that no one can beat Broome on runs into the corner, but he has a weakness that Ralston will be sure to test. If Broome can be isolated 1v1 near the endline in the box, he freezes and can be beaten on the dribble. Otherwise he will play smart positionally and wait for Morrow to help. It should be a fun matchup, but Ralston has a big advantage in 1v1 skills.

I wish there was a way for the Revs to get 3 points without winning this game, because I'd love to see NE come back and make the playoffs.

2. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respect from Dallas fans

If you haven't visited the Burn fans' board, it's worth the stop. For what seems like the first time all season, another team's fans are giving the Revs a lot of respect. They see us as a real threat and some are very nervous about Saturday's game.

I think their concern is realistic. The boys are going to get the job done against a fading and tired team.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I think the match could go either way. Dallas has had a run of bad luck of late, but they're rested, they have some obvious talent, and the Revs can't afford to give them an inch.

The Magpie

4. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    well you got tossed a lifeline with the Metro losing. I never saw DC as a factor for the final spot, maybe they are.

Now it's Burn vs. Revs. 48 hours and counting.

by way of explanation, with Oscar out, the Burn tend not to play as well. In a must win game, that hurts badly. The question on our minds is can the midfield work with either O'Brien, Stone, Zarco, or possibly Broome in the midfield spot.

5. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree totally. especially on the ralston-broome matchup thats supposed to happen. ralston is very, very good at slowing the ball, making a move (freezing the defender), and accelerating down the line or towards the middle. broome is a very respectable player who has great instincts for the game, but as you say, he has a weakness which i feel ralston will pounce on.

ralston cant go too far forward though, as he will be needed on defense to cover his side, allowing the outside back to help in the middle, if necessary. this will probably be one of the best games to watch all weekend, with the other contending match going to columbus vs. chicago

cheers

6. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I don't dispute that Ralston is all-star quality, and deserves what he's earned. But I don't see why Broome won't be up to the test. And in fact, this may be a good test to see if he's All-Star material. So far this year, the guys has played outstanding defensive and offensive soccer. Aside from a first-game blunder, the guy has been outstanding in the back. No one even worried "how soon is Gbandi going to be ready?" because frankly he may not have started anyway, so there was no reason to rush him.

So, my take is this. Yea, Ralston may manage to find some room. But don't be too surprised if he has a quiet game. I'm counting the hours to the opening whistle.

7. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    BTW, looks like the much ballyhooed Deering/ Hernandez matchup is pretty much moot. Nicols has been intimating (see today's Boston Herald) that Hernandez could very well anchor the central defense with Kante - which isn't all that bad news for Revs fans. He's obviously competent there.

Question is, who is going to hold/move the ball through the midfield? Hernandez has been playing a kind of ball-holding midfielder in the last couple of games with some decent success. Without him in the middle, I can only guess that the Revs go with Cullen to take Hernandez' spot and Cloutier to fill Cullen's spot.

Not exactly a scintillating offensive lineup, but the way APC has played, I can't picture Nicol putting him out there. Hopefully the lineup won't leave the Revs resorting to a kind of boring long-ball game in an effort to bypass the midfield (where Dallas seems to have a clear advantage).

So my guess on the linup is:

------------- Brown--------------------

Heaps----Kante---Hernandez---Franchino

Ralston---Cullen----Cloutier-----Griffiths

-------Twellman-----------Harris--------

Well see...

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Ahhhhh... r u hacking my computer? how do u know EXACTLY what i suspect?.. lol

Deering is in his IDEAL position, being a tremendous distributor of-the-ball while playing defensive mid. As long as Hernandez doesn't strike a rocket (as most know he's quite-capable of doing), he's over-matched by Deering.

Your Broome observation is insightful (are you available to coach next year? ;-) and, for those very reasons, I think Broome shoud be playing mid. Let Zarco mark Ralston and Broome may be able to back-track with his 'fastest-player-on-the-pitch' speed, if needed. Then, we may able to see Chivas play forward and back-track, if needed to cover for Broome.

I know this has never been tried b4, but I really don't want an exhausted, injured Kreis to 'even-step-on' the field. And, even though Rhine has gotten a-couple-of lucky goals for the Burn this season - Obrien would be a VERY interesting insertion into the striker spot.

BUT, seeing how this is all a fig-newton of my imagination, Kreis and Rhine will start up-top, and the changes in the line-up for the Burn will b minimal.

For this very reason, and the fact that the Revs are on-a-roll (and the Burn are on a cliff-dive); means that the Revs will OWN the Burn this weekend. Pareja is injured and will not play... FIZZLE go the Burn without him; and the momentum of Cerritos' contribution is all-DONE!

Revs 3 Burn 0

9. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: Respect from Dallas fans

Well, for one, we have a common 'revelry'... I mean, 'rivalry'... the Burn and Revs BOTH can't hack the MetroHacks... Texans consider New York to be the 'real' Yankees, and Bostonians have one-of-the-most-well-known rivalries in sports... the Red Sox vs. the Yankmees...

... oh, and did I mention that I've only lived in Dallas for three years... AFTER being born and raised in Boston for 37 years?

Ahhhhh... New England? ... ... Can we borrow about 15,000 fans to bring to Dallas every week? The soccer support in the Boston area is EXACTLY what it should be across the MLS.

I think the Revs will continue their current momentum and go FAR into the playoffs. I really wish the Burn could join you, but I just can't bring myself to dreaming.

And BTW, while we have a common moderator, your 'Magpie' is really outstanding too.

Keep up the great work!

10. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    HA.

11. JoKeR20

JoKeR20 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Plano, TX

We'll see.

12. Popero