Rev-dallas Pre Game

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Sep 8, 2002.

1. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    IT'S A GOOD TIME TO BE GOING TO DALLAS. Ronald Cerratos was injured last night and will be out for the remainder of the year. Unfortunately Rusty is out for the remainder of the season as well.

Key questions:

Will Llamosa be able to play??????

If llmosa is out who will team up with Knate--Downing or Hernandez????

Will SN field a 4-5-1 as he did in the past two road games????

Will 1 point in Dallas be enough?

My guess SN will play Downing in the middle for Rusty but otherwise go with the same lineup as last night. Fortunately Cloutier is healthy again giving SN the option of moving Hernandez or Cullen back to pair up with Kante if he doesn't think that Downing is dependable enough. My sense is that SN will want to change the lineup as little as possable.

I believe this is a winnable match and that SN will role the dice so as to Win rather than Tie.

2. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I don't think Llamosa will play, so my lineup reflects that. You know he'll be using the 4-5-1, too.

Brown
    Heaps Kante Cullen Franchino
    Ralston Cloutier Hernandez Kamler Griffiths
    Twellman

Griffiths will come out at halftime, and Wolde will come in, switching to a 4-4-2.

Revs 2-1.

HUGE game.

3. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    I like that lineup a lot. Bringing in Cloutier as a dmid and dropping Cullen back to central defense is the obvious move, and I think SN will make it- after all he was faced with the same choice in the second half of the DCU game and elected to go with Cloutier. Although in that match he dropped Hernandez back, at that point we were up 2-0 and offense was less of a priority.

4. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Hmm.

Brown

-----------Kante ---------Cullen
    (Johnson or Rhine) ---(Kreis)
    Heaps (Chivas) Franchino (Vaca)

Ralston Cloutier Hernandez Kamler Griffiths
    -(Broome-Morrow ---Suarez)
    -------- Twellman (T-Bone)

---Jordan

Interesting matchups

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like our chances against that Dallas lineup. Especially if we get to play agaisnt 9 men. Who is missing other than Pareja?

Tom

6. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Dearing.

7. melmax

melmax New Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Somerville, MA
    I am having visions of Keego scoring the deciding goal in Dallas to take us to the playoffs! Come on' Revs!

8. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Sorry, fixed it this time:
    Brown

-----------Kante ---------Cullen
    (Johnson or Rhine) ---(Kreis)
    Heaps (Chivas) Franchino (Vaca)

Cloutier -(Pareja---Deering) Hernandez Kamler
    Ralston ---------------------Griffiths
    -(Broome-Morrow ---Suarez)
    -------- Twellman (T-Bone)
    ---Jordan

>>>>>>>>
    For Dallas, Chivas vs. Heaps is a plus, Deering on Hernandez a plus, Vaca and Franchino is good. Broome is faster than Ralston, should be able to keep out the crosses. I'd take Suarez over Griffiths.

For Dallas, it's does Jason have the juice and can either Rhine or Johnson go at them for blood.

9. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    ???

???!!!

Watched many Revs games this year?

I'll grant you that the Burn generally have the Revs outgunned, but their games have taken turns in the opposite direction lately (Dallas, for obvious reasons). While Kreis, Vaca, and Pareja do have the potential to give the Revs midfield and defense fits, these (the two listed above) are two matchups that probably do not benefit the Burn.

10. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Brown is gonna have quite the test to keep his scoreless streak going. With that said, what are are chances, if any, of still making the playoffs with 0 points from this game?

11. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Watched many Burn games this year? Broome has been man of the match a number of times for shutting down his end and attacking at critical times. No one playing on his side has a great game, and Ralston cannot switch sides. Deering is a candidate for team MVP because he's been outstanding at keeping pressure off the back four. You think Deering is worried about picking Daniel Hernandez out of his teeth?

Oscar Pareja will not be in, as he's now suspended for the next game on caution points. The Cuckhold Salazar strikes yet again.

It will be a great game, for sure. But using "???" as a reason for thinking something is...I don't know, ???

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    All this assumes Llamosa can play.

Ralston actually switches sides frequently, of late.

Deering strikes me as overrated, perhaps because he never seems to play up to his billing against the Revs. Hernandez is much tougher than Deering and at least as skilled, particularly on set plays (I never dreamed I would say that.)

Broome, on the other hand is underrated.

I think this will all come down to whether the Dallas back four look like they did in the last Metro game, or whether they play as well as they can.

The absences of Cerritos and Pareja will be balanced by the loss of Pierce and the Dallas home advantage. Look for a low-scoring game, with the game going to the team which scores first.

13. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    If we take 0 points we need others to lose twice and we will need to beat the Mutts on the 21st. To have a glimmer of a chance we need 1, to have a real chance we need a win.

14. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    About four or five, but have been following them pretty closely.

???

???!!!

15. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was at that game. it was a great time for a goal. i met him at a worcester wildfire game (the ancient a-league) he said not to call him mr. keegan, that it was his father. anyway, maybe someone with no goals could get the decision-maker.

cheers.

16. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Using ??? instead of words is odd. Typically people here use words to support their opinions, not question marks.

And no, Ralston does not cross as well with his left as he does with his right. To cross with his right, he has to be on Broome's side. He won't outrun Broome at all. If he does switch, he'll have to outrun Suarez and then cross with his weaker leg. Suarez is not slow, and usually tackles before they even attempt crosses. It should be a good game. I think the Burn are hungry to get back in the win column and make amends to the fans. This is their chance. A heck of a lot of this season rides on those 90 minutes for the Burn.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Since the DC/Jerseyites play on thursday, the result will be know before the Revs play. If the Metros lose, I think it will be even more incentive for the Revs to be conservative.

If the Revs take a point in Dallas, then the Metros, Crew, Fire and Wiz would all need to do better than split their last two (assuming the Revs can take care of business at home), which is impossible.

I wish it weren't so, but I think Nicol will come out with his conservative "road" game plan.

18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Wait a minute - with Mutts, Crew and KC all at 35 and the Fire at 34 they would ONLY need to split (get 3 points) to beat us if we only take a point against Dallas. That would give them a minimum of 37. Our max number then would be 36. If Nicol is looking for 1 point on the road he is taking a VERY risky path. He would be counting on one of the following:

the Fire getting no more than 1 point in two games against the Crew

the Crew getting no more than 1 point in two games against the Fire (I believe we own the tiebreak against Columbus) (Note both of these first two scenarios CAN'T happen)

KC losing twice and the Mutts losing twice (or, given your scenario, their last three games of the season.)

Not something you should bet on. We/they need to win.

19. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Just a couple of things. First of all, Ralston and Griffiths have been switching very frequently in the last few weeks with no great drop off in Ralston's production. So this will force Dallas to decide whether they're going to have a single player shadow him across the field, or have defenders switch off depending on where he goes.

Second, Ralston's game is not, and has never been, based on "outrunning" people. He's crafty, uses space extremely well, and also can dribble and pass very well. So Broome's much vaunted "speed" is pretty incidental. He'll either be able to stay with Ralston or he won't. Given that Ralston leads the league in assists, I think it's fair to say that most defenders this year have not.

As for Deering over Hernandez - well that's just kind of insulting....

One of the key questions for Dallas will be whehter Carlos Llamosa can play for the Revs. If he can't, there will be weakness in the middle of the revs defense (whether Cullen or Downing are covering).

20. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    check this out

I also noticed that Ralston made a number or runs/dribbles into the middle of the box against DC, this of course only confuses things more for the defense, especially when someone (ie Heaps) makes an overlapping run into his space.

21. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I can tell you right now, the Burn don't switch defenders for the opposition. And if Ralston gets an assist off a cross on either side, I'll be surprised. If Ralston cuts inside, more power to him. Meet Steve Morrow, probably Defender of the Year, and Bonseu, also a reasonable candidate for Defender of the Year. Playing the likes of DC, Fire, and Metro for 12 games is hardly testament to superior play.

I'll take Deering over Hernandez anytime. Hernandez has bounced from team to team to team. Deering is here having his best season. How you claim to have seen so many games and not seen that is telling.

I'm done talking in this folder, I've overstayed my welcome as it is. I'll be livid if the Burn don't punch Brown for 3 goals or more. You want to talk more, I'll be in the Burn forum.

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Dallas is in pretty good shape in terms of the MLS playoff picture, currently retaining the third-best record in the league. They're looking for home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs and I believe they can guarantee that with a win over the Revs this Saturday. Game-time weather looks like temps in the 80’s, partly cloudy with light winds.

Jeffries isn’t going to take the same risks he did against Metro, and after a week of rest he’ll put his better line-up on the pitch.

Potential Dallas line-up?

4-4-2 alignment?

GK: Matt Jordan
    RB: Ryan Suarez
    CB: Tenywa Bonseu
    CB: Steve Morrow
    LB: Paul Broome
    RM: Ronnie O'Brien
    DM: Chad Deering
    CM: Joselito Vaca
    LM: Antonio Martinez
    FWD: Jason Kreis
    FWD: Bobby Rhine

Key absences : Oscar Pareja, Ronald Cerritos

Potential New England line-up?

4-5-1 alignment?

GK: Brown
    RB: Heaps
    CB: Cullen
    CB: Kante
    LB: Franchino
    DM: Cloutier
    DM: Hernandez
    RM: Ralston
    AM: Kamler
    LM: Griffiths
    FWD: Twellman

Key absences: Rusty Pierce, Carlos Llamosa

The Revolution have been on a roll of late, going 3-0-1 over their last four games, scoring 8 goals while only allowing 2 against. The Burn have been struggling, going 1-3-0 over their last four games, scoring 5 goals while allowing 9.

This game will be won by who’s more effective on the counter attack.

Dallas is blessed with speed on the flanks, especially on the left with Broome and Martinez, and that could pose problems for Jay Heaps unless Ralston’s committed to tracking back on a regular basis to assist in defense. While Vaca is a talent, some would argue he’s not as consistent as Pareja, and much like any number of past Revolution central midfielders he’s not exactly quick to play defense. However, if he can move the ball out wide to the wings then the Burn can really use their pace to try and get behind the Revolution backs. If they do, then they can drop the ball back into the middle where Kreis could play poacher, especially with Llamosa out and Kante being somewhat shaky in picking up the developing play behind him. Either that, or O’Brien could have a go from long-range, although Adin Brown’s been up to the task of late. The key to Dallas will be better finishing, but not necessarily trying to play Kreis or Rhine as target-men. Take it in deep via the wings, dump it back, and have them use any open space to test brown.

The Revolution will not have the luxury of playing with two out-and-out forwards this match, but even if they had Llamosa and Pierce in the back, Nicol might still have gone with a 4-5-1 in order to close down the gaps and passing lanes, especially with the Burn’s speed. That means Twellman will once again be the breadwinner, no easy task when trying to get by Bonseu (size) and Morrow (experience.) He’s not going to have a great deal of time on the ball, and it’s a safe bet that Suarez will be a bit physical in imposing his presence. By no means does this suggest Twellman can’t be effective, but after his hat-trick against D.C. he’ll be even more the marked man, who’ll have to make the most of his opportunities, that means a quick release on his shots and good composure in close. Revs will need to have good field awareness, looking for gaps to send Twellman in alone much as the case was against D.C. It’s predictable, but it’s the best chance we have unless we put in Harris for Griffiths and hope he’s good for at least one.

Key match-ups:

Griffiths vs. Suarez: I’ll be honest, Griffiths is the 2nd coming of Evans Wise IMHO: he has mad ball skills, but his usual course of action is to take the ball to the corner, then waiting to beat the defender(s) by going through or right at them. A majority of the time he’s dispossessed in the process. For Griffiths to succeed he’ll need to put the ball past Suarez, beat him to the ball with his speed, then dumping it back immediately into the middle or playing it back to Franchino if he pushes up. Suarez will do his best to disrupt him off the dribble and that could frustrate the ex-Galaxy, ex-everyone player. Advantage: Suarez.

Ralston vs. Broome: Ralston’s been somewhat quiet over the latter-half of the season, a good part of the reason coming down to better marking, necessitating the need to switch fields with Griffiths at times to disrupt the defense rhythm of their opponents. It’s worked to some degree, but Ralston is far-and-away better wide right. Broome is one of the Burn’s steadiest and most effective players, and while he can match Ralston for pace, he has to be careful not to play him too tightly or over-commit, otherwise he’ll be spun around and beat. The ex-Mutiny winger almost always finds a way to be effective. Advantage: Ralston

Kante vs. Kreis: Ray Hudson knew what he was thinking when he originally drafted Kante, and must now be lamenting the fact that he didn’t grab the young defender when he had the chance. The guy plays with maturity and intelligence, i.e., he doesn’t panic nor does he send desperate clearances far removed from his teammates. However, he’ll be paired this go-round with Cullen unless Nicol shows a “wee-brain” mentality by giving Downing a shot… that would be suicide. That being said, Kreis is a league veteran and has something to prove as of late, a top goal-scorer in this league but criticized for holding onto the ball to long when a quick shot may be more effective. If he chooses to play much as he has the past few weeks, then Kante should be able to mark him. If Kreis moves better off the ball and takes his shots more quickly then Kante’s beatable. Advantage: Pick-‘em.

Prediction:

Jeffries will have his players test the Revolution defense early, pushing forward with pace (if not numbers) in the first 15 minutes. If they buckle then the Burn coach can work to maintain possession, working attacks through counter-attacking opportunities but looking more to deny the Revs the ball. If the score’s nil-nil after the first fifteen then the game should settle down for the next hour, with both teams looking to control the pace and tempo, pushing the attack when necessary but playing a more “prevent game” looking to exploit errors. I do not see this as a high-scoring game, but I do see goals coming, either in the first fifteen or late. It will be a physical match.

Revs: Hot goal-scorer, more composed defense, increased confidence.
    Burn: Good team speed, semi-regular line-up, rested squad playing at home with something to prove.

1-1 after regulation, goals coming from Twellman and Martinez, Dallas winning in OT off a header taken by Ed Johnson from a corner, sneaking on the play behind Kante and Cullen.

I’m nothing if not pragmatic, that being said, I hope the Revolution win.

The Magpie

23. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Kind of taking your ball and going home, eh...?

The Burn have better personnel and a more solid, more cohesive team "system". Since both teams have ample motivation to play hard, and the Revs are on the road, you have to make the Burn the favorites.

But if the Revs can find a way to shore up the middle of their defense, it won't be easy for the Burn. And if Ralston and Twellman can get on a roll, anything can happen.

Metros sure looked good in their last game though, didn't they? ;).

24. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    No. I respect the right of fans to talk about their team in their forum without other fans getting in their face. To me, I've said enough in this area. Your post was insightful--nice description of the coming game.

As for Metro, I was unimpressed. Burn had it to win and failed to finish quality chances. The Cuckhold Salazar was also a contributor. A failed opportunity I hang on the poor finishing of the Burn.

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I expect Dallas to come out storming, they need this win badly. A win plus a Rapids loss or tie clinches the fourth playoff seed. A loss for Dallas and all bets are off.