Rev-CRapid Pre Match Discussion

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Aug 25, 2002.

1. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Ah yes, what a win will do to the poor faithful--suckering them back into having hope that all is not lost--but then: "It ain't over till it's over"

After the way the Crapids handled SJ yesterday I'm not very hopeful about the Revs getting three points in this match. Yet this is gut check time and yesterdays come from behind win could just get this bunch of under achievers to do the un-thinkable and win a critical match--at home.

We will be back playing of a full size field so I don't expect to see SN starting a 4-5-1 again but you never know. There will be more space in midfield at home and he could do it as a way of stiffling what sure looked like a potent CRapid offense yesterday. I'm guessing he goes with a 4-4-2 with Woldi getting a start up top with TnT. With Rusty elegable, who in defensive crew sit?

2. tlp65

tlp65 New Member

Mar 8, 1999
    I think we should go 4-4-2 with this lineup:
    Heaps-Kante-Llamosa-Franchino
    Ralston-Cullen-Hernandez-Griffens
    Harris-Twellman

My ideal formation would be 3-5-2 with APC as an attacking midfielder with the same forwards but I know Nicol wants no part of that.
    I dont think Wolde has been given much of a chance this year but when he's in there he creates
    dangerous opportunities for us. Yesterdays strike was beautiful do you think Ian fuller could've pulled that off? I dont think so. So Nicol we have five games left lets see what Wolde can do.

Finally has anybody else been impressed by Kante's play. He looks so poised back there even more so than Llamsoma who scares me sometimes. Anyway job well done now lets take care of business at home starting with Rapids.

3. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    MLSnet's caution report summaries are always so confusing... is Mastro out next week on caution points or not? They have him on warning for 21, yet he's listed with only 16 points (plus 4 = 20 = no suspension) in the statistics section.

4. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    Brown
    Heaps Pierce Kante Llamossa Franchino
    Ralston Cullen Hernandez Griffiths
    Twellman
    I think this could actually be effective, Franchino and heaps can move up with no regret and Ralston's defensive role is lightened. With three defenders back at all times, the front men can get more creativity.

I'm serious, i think this could work.

5. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Bill: I think your formation is kind of what we had last night. On real grass, with some width it might well be a bit nicer to watch than it was in the bar brawl we saw at Naperville. I know this leaves TnT alone to get mugged but then bringing Wolde on in the second half allows for a lot more interplay and possession. Hmmmnnn, thinking about that, let's start him with the Boy Wonder.

Brown

Llamosa

Heaps Franchino

Kante

Harris Twellman

Bench:

Pierce, Asad, APC, Sommer.

JIM DOW

6. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    It'll be tough to take 3 points from the Rapids if they play like they did against SJ, however if we do mangage it we could easily get 6 points from the following two games, against DC and Columbus. We've played our best matches against those two clubs.

As for the lineup Wednesday, I think Wolde will get the start and why not, he has played well recently which is more than any of his competition can say.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I agree with soren. While I've been as much of a Wolde-basher as anyone, his understanding with Twellman on that goal was very encouraging, and leads me to think he should start (in Jim's line-up).

I think we match up reasonably well against Rapids, and see no reason that we can't win with a little luck. I'm trying to see the team through Nicol's eyes, and picture a game where Colorado's speed and artistry are cancelled out by the Revs winning 50-50 balls and countering. Not that this is an original point, but there can be no blown coverages, and everyone has to track back on D, or we're toast.

Perhaps the most interesting part of last night's game was Rusty's first Rev appearance as a D-mid - I'm looking forward to seeing that again. I don't see APC playing much for the rest of the year, barring injury or major attitude problem's from Hernandez.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'd like to be optimistic, but the Rapids embarassed us at home last month pretty soundly.

One splinter of optimism was that the Revs endured a ton of midfield pressure in the first 60 against Chicago and didn't panic. Teams will pressure the Revs midfield and defense because they don't want Ralston and Griffiths running at them.

The first step to being successful is being able to endure that pressure, which we did pretty well Saturday. The second step is to beat the pressure, which is the task at hand.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    A lot depends on which Rapids team shows up. If it's the vs. San Jose on Saturday team, I don't see the Revs generating enough offense to get points, especially if TNT is up front alone. Never mind the defense.

If it's the Rapids team that "played" in the Rose Bowl on the 17th, then the Revs will be able to take three without a great deal of difficulty. I'm interested to see if Rusty is in D-mid again.

10. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    4-4-2

.............Brown............
    Rusty Llamosa Kante Franchino
    ......Wolde......Twellman......

I'm not terribly confident. :/

11. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    This is the lineup i would prefer, but it would never happen. Heaps has been good in RB and Pierce is going to play a central role in the team.

The funny thing is on friday everyone hated Harris, now he scores a goal and he is in everyone praises. What happened to the Harris for nobody trade rumors?

12. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Hey, I've had him in there ever since the APC debacle at LA. ;)

13. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo is out

According to MLSNet, Pablo will not play on Wednesday due to disciplinary suspension (yellow card accumulation).

14. 103FAN

103FAN New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Harris

There have been those of us who remained silent during the feeding frenzy on Wolde. Wolde had a fantastic year his first year, no one can deny it. The next year we were losing a lot of balls in the mid-field and Wolde wasn't fed as many passes as the year before. Also, having a reputation as a leading scorer can be a huge detriment...everyone marks you...just look at TT these past games...he is usually double manned. What you have to give Wolde continues to train hard and puts excellent effort into his limited appearances on the field. Could we say that for Big Mama? How many times did we see him crying after a missed shot or a call? He'd stand there with his hands thrown in the air while the opposition is running down the other end of the field!

Wolde deserves this opportunity. Personally, I'd love nothing better than to see that man get a hat trick Wednesday night. Put him up with Twellman. At the very least, it gives the Rapids defensemen someone else to mark and gives TT more space. Fuller would be better off selling brushes.

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    106 yds long is full size?