Return of the Mack

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by HouseHead78, Sep 18, 2011.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a place for a rejuvenated DaMarcus Beasley in the US team?

He seems to be up to his old tricks at Puebla, getting up and down the left side with a high work rate, beating players, creating chances, and generally being a very difficult player to play against.

I know his technique isn't the best, but his soccer brain, his speed, and his commitment to run behind defenses is something the US has been missing since he fell out of favor.

I'd like to see him called in and given a shot at redemption. Last game against Mexico, he had travel issues and barely met with the team. Then he wasn't called for Belgium or Costa Rica. Is Ecuador or Honduras a good time to see where he is?

I think so.

2. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be Left back....

in last decade:cool:

3. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see him get a run out with Nats.

4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why not. I'd rather have him than Robbie at this point

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't "Macky's back in town!" have been the better title?

6. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looool!!!!!

7. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    When you have to go to central america in qualifying, you want the guy on the field with 80+ caps, who plays in Mexico and isn't even 30.

8. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he loses confidence too easily. we will see an upstart in back passes at the top of the box if he plays.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's had his greatest success as a player playing on the counter in a 433 in Champions League with PSV. He'd be a good fit for the US in certain situations like road games in WCQing.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Laugh out out out out loud"

1 person likes this.
  11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should absolutely get a look if his form continues. Even if he isn't in the plans for the starting 11 he is an incredibly experienced player who would make our bench that much better.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with this. I think Shea has the left all wrapped up, but I can't imagine anybody better to come off the bench to replace or support him. Having DMB will be critical in those important road qualifiers.

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Mack?

You mean Run DMB?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88cBDFBoJE"]Puebla FC 4 vs Chivas 1 J,9 Apertura 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's behind Shea, which puts him squarely on the bench.

15. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he could help in qualifying, I am not sure that Shea is definitely better, especially if Beasley is standing out in a better league, but if Shea keeps improving he definitely will be. And for the love of God don't play DMB as LB, which I won't have to worry about with Klinsmann.

16. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer him to Rogers, who's DukeBasketballLookingness(sp?) forces me to rate him awful.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexican league is only slightly better than MLS, if at all. Shea has been dominating MLS, Beasley has, (from what I've heard), played relatively well.

18. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    If Robbie Rogers, Jose Torres, Edgar Castillo, and Michael Orozco Fiscal are good enough for JK, an inform Beasley at Puebla is as certainly worthy of a shot.

People act as if Beasley could never play. You do what Beasley did in the CL for PSV, and play for Man City and Rangers, you earn some cred. He's been battered with injuries and has been out of form, but he seems to still have pace and can be a dynamic player when used right.

I'd like to see Beasley as a Left Winger in a 433 with more freedom to play up the pitch. He struggles when he's got to be responsible for a lot of play in the middle of the pitch, but when allowed to run behind defenses he can be a threat.

19. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How quickly we forget just how ********ing awful he was for a long time. I would be alright with bringing him in to a really meaningless game and not actually playing him. Shea has every positive quality DMB possesses and less negatives imo.

Glad he is doing well, but I want to see more before I forget his "performance" in the Confed Cup.

20. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Shea has Beasley's overall soccer brain yet.

It's only fair to see where Beasley's at. If Rogers got a shot, and two consecutive starts to show where he is, then Beasley deserves at least that.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Klinsmann's also been calling up players from the Mexican league like Orozco and Castillo who are not performing at the same level as Beasley down there.

People act like Beasley is 35 years old. He's not. He's younger than Landon Donovan. Would he start ahead of a guy like Brek Shea? Probably not. But I don't see why he can't be in the mix for a roster spot. He's obviously not the same player he was 10 years ago...............but he does have attributes that could help us.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree

23. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    No.

24. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be thrilled to see Beasley make a come back. He looks like his old self in the video. Sadly, Beasley's game inevitably leads to his getting injured. He has always seemed to take more lickens than a timex.

25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't think he's a great fit for the way we've been trying to play. But, it sure sounds like he warrants a look. I we were still in Bobs system, mos' def.