Return leg Boca Juniors at Newells Old Boys, May 29 (r)

Discussion in 'Boca Juniors' started by argentine soccer fan, May 28, 2013.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said Gonzalito. Also is that two cents in Argentine currency? If so it's only worth a 1/4 of a cent:D

I grew up as the son of a gallina and along with my two uncles never heard the end of it. At the end of the day it's just pelotudeces in a give and take kind of way. I'm just as guilty as being animated as you or the next guy but like I said, it's just pelotudeces. It's what makes this rivalry the greatest in the world but it's also nothing to hate over. In the end somos Argentinos y nada mas.

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And just to clarify, I know there are river fans who are violent.. It's a plague in our beloved country... These people can't get it

The rivalry is important, but its not worth as much as someone's life. Sadly we've lost too many fans... Both boca and river to this plague :(

3. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So uhhhhh what do we do now?

RiverGaucho repped this.
  4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well duh, we make fun of San Lorenzo:D

5. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We meet in plaza de mayo with baseball bats and go all out like green street

locoxriver, Moishe and Steazy McCloud repped this.
  6. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I feel like Mercado Central is wayyyy more convenient for me. Plus the odds that it would break out in to a full scale riot would be much higher.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What really upset me and frustrated me is that I felt Boca, the way they played against Corinthians and Newells, did have a legitimate chance to win La Copa. Before the Corinthians games I thought they had no chance in hell, so I didn't invest that much emotionally, but by the 2nd game with Newells I was absolutely all in.

But football is like that. You need to be lucky sometimes and Boca had its share of luck over the years in La Copa, but not last night. We just have to move on.

I like this Newell's, they are a worthy semifinalists, and I feel they can represent Argentina well. Although I felt Boca outplayed them in this series, there's no doubt that over the season Newell's was the better team and they deserve to be where they are.

My only concern is that I hope they keep the team together and don't dismantle it. Especially they can't get rid of Scocco now, they need to keep him and to compete to the end with these players. Because with these players I think they can win it. But otherwise they eliminated us "al pedo".

8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well the Newell's president came out and said that Tata Martino and Scocco where staying Si o Si no matter what offers they have from outside

Note: edited by mistake. The following part was my reply to RiverGaucho:

Good to know. I think they can win it. Mineiro showed some defensive weaknesses and Newell's should have a very good shot at the final.

And yeah Conmebol fked up the calendar but to be fair its not easy to fit, unless you go to a year-round competition like Champions League. I think Fifa should also cooperate with their calendar and take Copa Libertadores into account. They are too Eurocentric.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn, I messed up on my iphone and and cannot fix it.

To RiverGaucho:

I accidentally edited your post when I was trying to quote it. Sorry, its my mistake for trying to do it on the iphone, and i guess i touched edit instead of quote. I cannot bring your full post back, but you can repost it if you want. I know in addition to the comment i quoted about Newell's you were also talking about Conmebol messing with the Libertadores calendar and about another time the same thing happened to River.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No problem. I think the best solution would be to make the copa libertadores a year long tournament like the champions

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, it would be nice to have La Copa year round. But I think the problem with the continuity would get even bigger, because most South American teams make a lot of changes in their squads between the short tournaments. So, in Libertadores there would be no continuity. A small team may be doing real well in the first "half season", look like a contender, earn a high seed, and then maybe for economic reasons they dismantle the team. Or conversely a big team could be a low seed and then reinforce themselves significantly for the second half. It would make a joke of the seedings, and then you'd maybe get winners who didn't really earn it. And I know teams do it already, but I think it would get a lot worse.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, you guys are bringing up important points. How far does our sports passion go? It's a relevant issue today and it's escalating. We can see what's happening now with Racing and Independiente. It's one thing to laugh at your rival if they're close to going to la B. But you have people throwing bombs, death threats everywhere, it's getting more and more crazy.

I know we say things like I love Boca, I hate River, and we do mean it, it's a real passion. But we need to be able to know how differentiate that kind of sports related love/hate passion from the real life and death issues.

I mean, I can say I love Boca, and I can say I love my daughter but it's not the same thing. Yes, I'll kill to protect my daughter, but kill over Boca? Come on, that's ridiculous. I'll argue over Boca, I'll make fun of River when they are going through bad things, and I will also take it when it's Boca that's going through a tough time. It's a real feeling and it's very important in our culture, it's something we took seriously ever since first grade - waiting with a smile for the River kids when they lost and hating having to go to school when Boca lost because they'd be waiting for us - it's a deep rooted part of our life. But we need to know where to draw the line.

I think most of us who are crazy over our futbol do have that perspective, but unfortunately it also seems like too many people nowadays don't. Some of course use that "passion" to cover up their criminal activity and those are not real fans, and I think many "barras" fall in that category. But I think there are also legitimate real fans who lose their perspective and take things too far.

Moishe and locoxriver repped this.