Retro kits!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by billward, Nov 17, 2004.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    They did -- for ONE game. A U.S. Cup game vs. Mexico when they wore light blue. You will rarely see any American team ever wear something other than red, white, and blue. The only time I ever remember something like that was when the U.S. speed skating team wore gold Descente suits in 1980.

[​IMG]

Germany used to wear green because Ireland was the only team that would play them in the post-Nazi era. In 2002 they went away from green to black. Now, they also have a red "third" strip.

There's a reason for that.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I was at that match. But are you sure they only wore those once? Anybody else? Regardless, they were horrid. Perhaps not Denim Stars horrid. But horrid nonetheless. The rugby design didn't help, either.

Excuse me while I doubt everything you say... Is that true? Is that why the DFB logo is green? Certainly makes more sense -- I always thought green was the away color because the DFB logo was green. I never bothered to wonder why the DFB logo was green. Of course I also never bothered to wonder why Oliver Kahn is so ugly.

Germany in red is kind of jarring mentally, but I'm sure it will look nice. It is in their flag, after all. And their green shirts have all kind of sucked, if you ask me.

But I'm all for the US keeping it simple, and not going bold with yellow or mauve or anything. But I would like to continue the hue and cry for a red away shirt, goddammit.

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mauve. mmmm....

4. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    Winning is the best tonic.......... Win a few big matches while wearing these kits and people will start clamoring for them...... I recall when the Denver Broncos changed uni's and boy the peep's let the org have it. Back to back Super Bowls later you couldn't buy a complaint over the new jerseys.

5. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
  6. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    We don't want to look like the Earthquakes.

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I saw The Game of Their Lives. I think it's a great thing they are making these Jerseys and I hope they wear them against England in Chicago on May 28th