Retro kits!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by billward, Nov 17, 2004.

1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a Fifa regulation for official competitions. This has been true since 1991 I think. They'd have to put it on the front and in the middle of the sash at the world cup.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I really liked the 1950 kits as well, but why did we wear them? Just for fun? I wish that Rob and Celo would have talked a little about the 1950 team, as it seemed like an opportune time. A lot of casual soccer fans probably have no clue about that team. Maybe show a few pictures of the 1950 team in those uni's. Talk about the upcoming movie?

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It's been too long since I had one as I forgot that they are called Red Stripe. :eek:

4. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were purty, especially compared to the bland "We're like Russia, with a darker blue" ones. Don't really know why they picked this game to wear them, bu it was neat. The socks were great. Wish we wore those unis all the time.

At the very least, I wish we'd still wear white-on-blue with the Total 90s, instead of the all-white they've gone with lately. I don't hate T90, but I'm not a huge fan, either.

Heh. Excellent observation.

5. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Not my favorite...especially with the sleeves and all. But I like how we still celebrate that win over the Brits!

6. Diakonov

Diakonov Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the retro kits. I would like them as our regulars with a few adjustments. Shrink the crest, lose the 3/4 length sleeves, and get rid of the blue collar at the end of the sleeves and they would be great.

7. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I liked the kits because they were different. There were elements that I loved but, like all retro jerseys, they are only cool because they are used sparingly. If we went with that kit full time it would lose a lot of its attractiveness.

And the yellow ball...it has been designed, as stated above, for foggy conditions because it shows up well against a white (cloudy) background, which is what all dark color balls do. However it also shows up well against the green of the pitch, which is what white balls do. The blue stripes make it easier for a goalie to see the rotation of the ball. All these improvements were made with the goalie in mind. I have also heard that they specifically asked goalies what was important in a ball.

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAY FASHION!!! Oh I just LOVE the old kits, I mean they are just FAAAAbulous... I'll wear it with pink socks and neon green shorts like Richard Simons!!!

No seriously, they are cool, I agree that they give us a unique identity compared to the rest of the blah garb out there for every other country. Definitely better than the crap Nike jersey with the circles around the numbers. I wouldn't mind it at all if we played in Germany with a more modern touch to the stripe look. The oversized US badge strikes of Napoleon wearing a bunch of medals, not a fan of that, but the stripe I can identify with.

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    ???

10. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    You, sir, have been repped!

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I think the reason for the circle is because of Croatia. In 2002, you couldn't see blue numbers for the red and white checkerboards, so Nike had to put a big square box for the numbers which ruins the checker effect. Now, with the circle digit on the front, a big white space is built right in.

12. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Los Colchoneros is a nickname for Athletico Madrid. It refers to their red and white stripped jerseys-- which supposedly look like mattresses.

Athletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Southampton, Sunderland, and Paraguay all wear something similar.

The US wore this a few years back.

I guess Chivas wears something like that too; so I suppose its out of the question now.

13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    no,no,no!
    please no.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the MNT please pick one basic color scheme for home and away - and stick with it?

That's not a lot to ask. Is it?

15. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Funny, I rememer the stripes being a kind of off-red. Almost coral-colored.
    I don't remember the red being a deep red. It looked washed out-- almost like the blue in the stars kit.

16. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Well, I think they have. Its alway been red, white, and blue hasn't it.

There isn't a chance in hell, but I'd like to see the Nats do something really brave and get away from the national colors. The way the Japanese (blue) and Aussies (green/gold) do. I think the Germans used to wear green too.

Hey, nobody is wearing purple! ;)

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It would have been better had I remembered that it was Red Stripe beer instead of Lucky Stripe. Oh well, I must leave work early and drink a case so as to not forget ever again. ;)

18. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    all the aussie teams wear the gold and green.

as for the horizontal, love'em. 2 years ago they wore short sleeve horizontals vs NZ in richmond, but the stripe was blue. i own it. it might be my fav jersey (its a bit hard to beat out my neon yellow/black dortmund shirt).

19. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's EJ scoring on us! Hooray, EJ!

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Agreed. I would LOVE this kit if it were full long sleeves. The 3/4 length is just silly. IMO

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    If we wear red AND we hire Sampson AND we play a 3-6-1 AND Mike Burns is our speedy outside Midfielder, We'll all throw up!

Wear Red - screw superstition.

23. Milk!

Milk! Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm a Mexico fan, but I saw some pictures of the U.S. retro kit...really nice..it looks much better than the stuff Nike has been putting out......I've noticed that the T90 kits look much better on club teams than national teams.....probably since there is no pool ball number on the front.........like a few others said before, the kit gives the team an identity.........I was dissapointed when Mexico went with Nike.....I really liked their kits from WC2002......now we all share the same jerseys with different colors......although Adidas pretty much does the same thing too....

24. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    the retros were sick man. i really like them and think that should be the primary jersey. way better then any us jerseys yet.

well maybe not the denim stars in 94 has a special place in my heart:)