Retro kits!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by billward, Nov 17, 2004.

1. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised nobody's commented (that I have seen anyway) on the kits.

I think they're great - very classic, traditional, and unique. What do you think?

2. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    It was mentioned on the post game thread and a few people liked them and even said they'd like to see those jerseys as the regular nats jersey. I for one agree, and I would also be curious as what Nike's modern interpretation of those jerseys would look like. They looked good tonight and it would give the U.S. an identity (jersey wise).

3. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted "OK" instead of "Love it" only because the numbers on the front of the jersey aren't necessary. It's fine with the badge and the sash, the numbers kind of look like they were thrown there at the last minute.

Unless it's a FIFA regulation that the number be on the front, but I don't know if that's the case.

4. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The retro kits suck, but our regular kits suck too. I hate the Total 90 design. I miss our kits from the 2002 WC. :(

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Long sleeve shirts with the Captain's Armband look cool. I love the Socks. However, I think that they should change the sleeves a little. Two Blue bands on the long sleeves instead of one.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted sucks, but the more I think about it, I probably should have been on the "not my favorite" side. The diagonal stripe is definitely cool. But I don't like the ugly oversize shield/badge, and those 3/4 sleeves look absolutely ridiculous. Steve Ralston was wearing a long-sleeve white T-shirt underneath his tonight and looked like a U-12 player.

Sorry, I'm one of the few who actually like our regular "T90" style white shirts. Sure, I'd like them better if they weren't cookie-cutter along with Brazil, Holland, Mexico, etc. etc., but they are still pretty classy.

7. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not my favorite and I love the Total 90 and only the blue kit from WC02 was decent. The white one was horrid.

8. giggster11

giggster11 Member

May 15, 2003
    Southern Cal
    I really like the retro kits. They're different. They look good. It sets us apart from other countries. I hate the cookie cutter kits. Be daring and stand out a little. Give your national kit an identity instead of "insert color here."

9. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    I don't like the kits.

The only other country I can think of off the top of my head that wears a diagonal stripe is Peru--- so the kit is unusual. Perhaps it is better than the current Nike "cookie cutters", but I think we can do better.

I'm still holding out for the Los Colchoneros kit from a few years (decades?) back.

10. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I liked them but think we should use them as our 3rd kit (if there is such a thing for National teams). Trot em out once a year or so.

11. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    I liked the kits except for the socks. What color were they? I would have preferred a darker blue. It did seem odd that Keller was wearing his Total 90 'keepers jersey while the rest of the team was "retro".

12. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I did love the new kits, but.....

DAMMIT NIKE GIVE US FVCKING RED JERSEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please? :)

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me it's going to be a really long long long time before we see red again. Sorry, but every time I think of the US in red, I think of France '98.

And excuse me while I go throw up.

14. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the retro kits, like the new ones too. I also have to agree that I think the retro kits give a nice personal touch.

15. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    I put they are OK only because of the sleeve length. Long or short, but not 3/4

16. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kits were fine, I am still wondering what the fvck is up with the yellow ball...

17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    If someone could explain Nike's new love for the yellow ball, I would also appreciate it. Reminds me of my city league softball games.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the post above yours.

20. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the retro kits, and compared to the horridly ugly Total 90, pool ball uniforms, I love the 1950 kits. They are both unique and classy, which is a rare combination considering how many NTs now have the exact same uniform design.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I wonder if we wore those kits so that the Jamicans would confuse our players for a case of Lucky Stripe beer?

22. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Carletto Mazzone

Carletto Mazzone New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    the 1950 kits are awesome and should be our regular uniform. they carry a piece of our history.

the nike kits so far have been ugly or boring (especially the all white kits from 1998--however our first nikes in 1995 were great with the stripes across the chest).

i hope that we keep these uniforms and do away with the total 90 cookie cutter!

24. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    yeah, the 2002 wc kits is my favorite esp away long sleeves with donovan 21 on it.

25. Carletto Mazzone

Carletto Mazzone New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    oh, regarding the badge, at least the color sceme is right with the blue field at the top and the red stripes. i don't like our current badge which has a red field at the top and blue stripes going down(!?). it looks more like cuba's flag.