Retro Boots!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by illdthedj, Mar 19, 2009.

1. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so amidst all these new fancy pants boots with crazy new technology, would anyone like to discuss retro boots? classics? reissues? etc....

inspired by this ad I saw posted on another football boot site (obvious watermark lol):
    [​IMG]

if these boots were still around today, I would totally rock them. they look SO class....nice and clean, and the logo is quite classy as well. i like how the simple white shape travels down the side. is this "stylo" company still around? if they are they should do oldschool reissue of this boot....im sure its just as good as any fancy pants flywire boot with swerve ramps and rubber lace covers lol....

suposedly this boot came out in 74...a reissue dosnt seem so far fetched...i mean, the copa mundial came out in 79, and is STILL being sold today, and that boot hasnt changed at all pretty much for 30 years!

and on the topic of retro, has anyone ever seen/worn/owned/reviewed these?

Kelme Retro:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if you ask me, a little TOO retro lol....

and then there are the classic/traditional-style boots that have been updated for today, like the puma king xls....have never worn them, but they look classy. anyone have testament to them?

adipures, although technically a modern boot, def. is in the traditional style of boot.

i cant remember the exact name, but those "gold slipper" company boots...panto di oro or something. those seem very traditional as well.

do any pros wear those boots, or any other of these traditional boots? or are they all wearing mecurials and preds and the like....

so what other classic inspired boots are there? any sort of reissues? what am i forgetting/missing?

sorry if some of you find this thread lame, i just thought it would interesting to discuss the more traditional style boots amidst all the new technologically advanced ones of today.

2. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah ok, they are the "Pantofola-d-oro"
    [​IMG]

anyone ever wear these? seem very copa-ish lol, i mean that in a good sense (have always liked my copas, as well as team mundials)

3. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    Bordeaux's Souleymane Diawara used to wear pantofola d'oros im not really to sure what other professionals wear them though

4. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Scott Parker was in Pantolofa's before he started wearing Lasers mid season. Lots and lots of players in the Italian lower leagues wear them from what I understand and they used to produce the Cryuff Boots wore by Van Basten, and Bergkamp in their early days.

The company also had various players in the 80's to early 90's under contract when they played in Italy but boot deals were a small thing back then and once money started getting tossed around more and more they faded.

All I hear is the level of quality is unmatched for them end of story, no one I know that had them ever complained about anything. I actually really want to try them for my next boots.

5. kaiserboot

kaiserboot New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Stafford
    Excellent idea for a thread, a lot of people are being taken in by all the new gimmicks and are willing to pay outrageous prices - £224 for superfly,two years in the making but the sum total of all the parts and components of the boots cant come anywhere near £224.

Some of the academys in england are banning kids from wearing green/orange/pink boots, its black only which is good - stops young kids from getting to full of their own importance, and reduces the cost to parents.

Finally, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff - three best players ever, all wear Puma Kings - enough said. Until C.Ronaldo translates good club form to a World Cup Final he can stick to wearing green boots!!!

6. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    I agree but some of the new boots aren't bad at all.
    The Vapor 1-3 were simple and light, the 4-5 just became a cashcow for Nike... So I don't really like the vapor anymore.

The adipure is the Copa of the modern soccer cleats, class design matched with super soft leather. :) The Adipure II was a failure in my eyes, they updated the design for the sake of NOTHING! more money is the only reason I see... They should've updated it like how Nike updates the Legend.

Now I am so into Mizuno, the Ghost Striker is just like the original Vapors (i-iii). Light and simple, really soft synthetic material that feels very much like leather. and it's silver! so it's shinyyyyyyyyy.

My buddy has the panto something something for indoor/turf, he said it's really really good.

btw nice thread. sticky?

7. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    i actually have worn pantos, turfs and fg's.. i love the turf boots and my fg's were great but i felt the leather got to soft all around the boot and they lost their shape.. i may try another pair though as i want some all black boots that are leather..

8. kaiserboot

kaiserboot New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Stafford
    The Panto's were worn by Paulo Di Canio during his time in England. Was wearing a pair when he pushed over the referee.......now there is a class player, stick his name in you tube to see the best volleyed goal ever.

Talking of retro boots surely everybody is tired of Predators, they peaked around 9-10 years ago with the precision, all the rest have been rubbish....and ugly.

The adipures are a step in the right direction.

9. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the most recent ones, they went too modern. Can some one explain the Old school predators too me (or just link to a good site)? I've looked through a lot of sites but have never found a good timeline of which model was released when.

10. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    really?!?!?

i thought he was wearing Val-Sport's

11. seanyg

seanyg New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i compleetly agree with teh banning of colored shoes beside white i think black should be the only colors the only thing that passes with that is having for like adidas having the stripes colored to match jerseys or w.e if u r into that haha

12. kasaki

kasaki Member

Feb 22, 2009
    U.S.A
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You Guys sound like tyrants....or soccer dictators, I like colors and if I ever do go pro I will wear rainbow boots just to piss yall off lol

13. seanyg

seanyg New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what the point of wearing neon colors while u play it dumb and looks dumb 2 seriously like the cactus vapors those r retarted

14. trivela

trivela New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Club:
    AC Bellinzona
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Asics Testimonials and Mizuno Morelia range are two really good classic boots that I like at the moment. the Morelia EL/UL is insanely light and soft, and about 10000000X more comfort than vapors. anyone who hasnt tried Asics or Mizuno should give them a try.

15. kasaki

kasaki Member

Feb 22, 2009
    U.S.A
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    thats ur opnion others love colors

16. kaiserboot

kaiserboot New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Stafford
    no words needed!!!:)

17. Gaa Footballer

Mar 25, 2007
    Here is a good Photo timeline I found a while ago.
    [​IMG]

18. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is the first one released in 1991? or '92?

19. CJ-Boy

CJ-Boy Member

May 29, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

At ebay, click picture.

20. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    sometime around the 1994 world cup, i think.

21. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my opinion on colors copy/pasterd from some other message board, talking about those new camoflauge Puma v1.08s:

i agree with sion, black boots are class. a bit of color isnt bad, as long as the primary color is black (in my opinion).

I dont think these camo boots are that bad…at least, not as bad as all those fruity nike colors like berry pink and lime green.

well, to a point…i think colored boots should serve a purpose such as aligning with team colors/uniform. if you have a red team color, red boots seem logical. and i guess a pink uniform would be alright to have a “berry” boot…

but what get me (as a graphic designer) is when players wear screaming colors that dont match whatsoever with the team’s uniform…like having a red jersey with neon green boots. a bit tacky, but my line of work makes me sensitive to horrible color combos.

at least if you are going to wear a brightly colored boot, have it match your team's colors in some way. otherwise the point of a shiny colored boot seems to be about getting people's attention or trying to get people to look at you. although i read goal keepers wear bright neon colors because the human consciousness is attracted to super bright colors and perhaps subconsciously an attacker will want to kick the ball at the goalie instead of top corner....so perhaps bright boots will make people want to kick the ball to your feet? lol

back to the pumas:
    perhaps there are some camo teams out there? lol

oh and of course if lime green or pink boots are your thing, pay me no mind. to each their own!

22. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im sure if i was still a preteen or teenager i would want to have a fancy colored boot....but now that im older i stick to what has worked for me:
    [​IMG]

also, now that im older i definitely find the fact that the copa hasnt changed for decades and hasnt changed for a reason very attractive. plus, its my favorite example of a quality, traditional boot.

23. patrick s.

patrick s. New Member

May 25, 2007
    Toronto
    [​IMG]

the touch must be amazing in these babies

24. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at least you wouldnt have to worry about this happening! lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I prefer old school boots, but I think it's ridiculous to ban colors. Gotta let the kids express themselves. I remember when I was a youth player Copas with the tongue folded down low enough to reduce the functionality of the boot was probably the equivalent to today's neon Vapors. :p