Restaurants in Brazil

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by mak9, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Re: Roanldo fenomeno.

I'll check it out. Beats Bob's and McD I'm sure!

2. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

I agree... if you want to talk about Brazilian restaurants, you should never mention names like KFC, hot dogs, Burger Kings...

Instead: talk about Botequims, Churrascarias, Feijoadas, Moquecas, etc

Check "sorriso da dada" in this link

http://www.bahia-online.net/FoodinSalvador.htm

This is real Brazilian Food/Restaurants!!!:D

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I tried loads of the local stuff. Unless it was meat it wasn't that good. You don't even skin the shrimp. Terrible. I think it's the farofa that turns me off. I have no idea how you can eat that.

4. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

You are one of few that doesn't like Brazilian food:p

I think there are dishes for everyone in Brazil. If someone doesn't like picanha he doesn't like meat:rolleyes: You should go to a good restaurant(churrascaria) and I'm completely sure that you will find plenty of things that you like there.

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Next time I'm going on a total eating binge. I probably went through 15 different beers before figuring out that Antarctica and Skol were my favorites. I guess I have to do the same thing with resturants. :D

6. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

Sorry - at least you can find some McDonalds in Brazil! LOL

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I absolutely hate McDonalds. Only time I have McD is if there's a new burger I haven't tried. And it's always terrible. I've never understood why it's become so popular.

Then again, I hate Coca Cola as well so maybe I'm the problem. :D

8. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Well,if you want more food option,seems you must move to São Paulo.

I work 5 min from a Burger King and I'm used to eat Stacker. :D I think here in São Paulo we have about 10 BK's,incluind some in nearby cities like Santo André.

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You lucky bastard! :D

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Agreed.

Anybody who craves BK or McDs in Brazil doesn't know real food. I'm sorry, but this is the truth. I can understand if it's an occasional bite to remember "home," but other than that, any sensible American, or foreigner for that matter, should encounter food that will satisfy the palate and make the stomach happy.

When I visited Brazil after immigrating here in the mid-late 1980s, McD's was seen as "cool" because it was American. Now when I go there nobody ever wants to go there. Even those I know who are not too well-off and choose either the espetinho joints or the neighborhood eateries as they cannot afford the more expensive restaurants that I tend to eat at there when I visit would never eat at these American franchises.

Even a simple local neighborhood restaurant offers much healthier and tastier meals than anything BK or McD's can offer, or even what we find at any US diner. Even the "working-class" neighborhood "por kilo" restaurants. Salads w/ an assortment of vegetables, all fresh. Freshly made pasta, meat, chicken, pork, and fish dishes... braised... or with sauce... or broiled... and a lot of these have a staff grillman if one wants the traditional churrasco along with their lunch.

Brazilian food is rich, diverse, and packed w/ flavor and beauty. We have virtually everything to satisfy everybody: meat? Yes. Fish and seafood? Yes. Bread, pasta, rice? Yes. Vegetables, salads? Yes.

Even fast food in Brazilian is healthier and tastier. If I had to pick fast food as my only source of nutrition for the rest of my life, I'd rather eat Habib's over McD's or BK.

11. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    McD is unhealthy shit. Stay away from it unless you want to die early. Any por Kilo restaurant is superior in quality, freshness, healthyness, etc..
    My favorates in Rio:

Porcao Barra
    Barra Grill
    Mario's
    Rei do Carangueijo
    Locau
    Mondego

QUE SAUDADES!

12. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF-pPMz5KtE"]YouTube- Botequim Informal lapa Rio de janeiro[/ame]

mata um pouquinho das saudades!

me da mais um chopinho por favor!!!

13. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    hahahahahaha!!
    Adoro Lapa!!
    Thanks!!

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

If you want a good burger you get a Whopper. And there is nothing wrong with wanting a good burger once in a while.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Never said there is something wrong w/ wanting a good burger on occasion. If that's what you want, you can surely do BK, but Brazilian restaurants offer very good burgers as well, with thicker patties made from grain-fed cattle.

As I said, Duck Manson, Brazil's culinary traditions is rich, diverse, packed with flavors, with something for everybody. From diehard meateaters to seafood lovers to vegetarians, if you want it, Brazil has it. Assuming you actually live there, I would find it rather sad that you have not found a food "niche" in a country rich in natural resources like Brazil.

16. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

If Duck Manson is ever in Newark, NJ - I recommend he try this place - Hamburgao - Brazilian Burgers!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hamburgao-newark
    :D

Question: Are there places like this in Brasil?

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I don't want ticker patties. I can't stand burgers that are basically just meat. Might as well get a steak then.
    I found some nice places but they didn't taste much different then other countries. Like grilled stuff. They walked around with huge chunks of different meats and just cut it right on the plate. Very yummy. A few things though... Brazilians can't make mashed potatoes and that farofa thing is just terrible. Feijoada I thought wasn't very good. Sea food was very good though.

I'll definitely be writing down some of the resturants you guys have been mentioning for next time I'm there. I'll try them all!

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I definitely will! But I just can't see anything topping the Whopper. It's my bestest burger and always has been. Thing is, I don't want a burger that's got these thick thick patties. Like this:

[​IMG]

To me that's a gigantic meatball with some bread. Not my thing. Patties should be thin. If you want more meat get two patties. That's my philosophy. :D

19. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

They need an In and Out Burgers in Rio before any Burger Kings go up. Hell they need Inandout on the east coast in the USA.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Get both!

21. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

I agree 100% :D