Rest of the world football

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion of Marsch has always been a bit more personal and unfair. I sat in front of him at least 15 years ago at an HDC game - I think it was US Mens National team but not sure. I disagreed with the opinions he stated to his companion and thought he sounded pompous. Snap judgment - accomplished.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    His rep for extreme rigidity was the main reason I wouldn’t like to see him come to the Galaxy. He seems like a pretty humorless my-way-or-the-highway type of guy. Nothing wrong with being tough - being inflexible however is not a good coaching trait.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, he's a jerk for sure. But his coaching acumen is debatable.

skydog and Geneva repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So basically me, but ‘posting’ replacing ‘coaching?’

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  5. cliche_guevara

cliche_guevara Member+

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Plus he's got that goat stank. No thanks.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to put this out there, what about Mourinho or Klopp? I mean since Becks is building with the world champ and Chivas 2.0 is building with french has beens that still can be dangerous in the league. Maybe the Galaxy should start with the foundation of the club and invest in a world class manager and give him every tool and assistance to build something within our rules (as ridiculous and silly as they are). A proper football manager that can teach young guys and inspire seasoned vets, both have resumes second to none in world football and are way above any manager in the league currently. Give them a blank check and 4 years with a front office position ie; GM, CFO, DFO at the end of the contract to keep continuity throughout the club and the players. Anything that resembles progress is what this club needs, slowly we are becoming a history footnote in the league and if we don't take action we might never recover.

hav77, TrickHog and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I would love to have what 100flyers is talking about. Miami seems to be doing exactly that. But I don't know that Galaxy ownership would go for it here. Besides that we would have to go find that type of great coach and convince him MLS and Galaxy are worth their time and effort. And that's the thing, finding the right great coach that can mold this team correctly.

We may hit on a Tata-like coach that can make it happen or learn the hard way it does not always work this throwing money at the problem both playerwise and coachwise. That has happened in many teams.

And just to be clear, I could not care less how much of an ass a coach is. I am not looking to go have a beer with him or fawn at what a nice down to earth person he is. All I want him to do is his job and produce a team worthy of competition. Tata is said to be a prickly SOB also. I don't care. Same with players. I don't care how Zlatan is personally. All I care is he produces.

Maybe a no-nonsense bastard is what this team really needs because nice and kind Vanney isn't producing squat.

That is all.

JPAR, hav77 and 100fyers repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, coaching is not enough of a differentiator to splash greatly on, especially in this league. I honestly don't think Martino is significantly better than most MLS coaches. I think you'd do better splashing on an experienced and accomplished technical director, someone like a Dennis te Kloese (obviously that was mixed for us).

73Bruin and hav77 repped this.
  9. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What is the one thing managers covet? What do they consider as a premium? Time and football, everything else scouting, salaries, logistics, advertising, media availability is 2nd. What we need is someone with vision and a plan from the FO. A long term plan and direction for the club, any manager that is afforded assurances like these will undoubtedly consider the project. And with a ownership that stands by any football decision they make that just the icing on the cake. Let the geeks in administration worry about the business side of the club and let the manager worry about the football. If he says X player is not good enough for him ship em out! if we have to field a starting XI with nothing but foreigners so be it! Some of the players in this league have no business playing football at the professional level with the likes of Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Alba, Benteke, Lloris and Giroud! It seems like it is a discrimination thing but it is not! It is a you aren't good enough thing, and when it is the truth it should not be seen as discrimination rather affirmation. Beckham is getting his club ready through his name and rep with elite players, managers and football executives. The black and yellow belly scum I'm sure has ladies of the night visiting agents and execs which is the only way to get the caliber of players like Bale, Lloris and Giroud to sign with a paper champion club!

AEG better wake up and do something before all that is left is the riot squad, ACB and elementary school kids half filling DHSP. We are gonna be in real trouble for the next few decades if this is not addressed within the next 5 years, especially when the league is at 34 clubs attention and money will not come easy without a winning legacy. I tell you what I'm looking to lure Jude Bellingham here when he turns 31 or 32 he needs to be a Galaxy player after conquering Europe, the Euros and showing out at a few world cups. Am I ambitious? Yes damn it I am, because that is what big clubs are and have. I find it hard to believe there are supporters here that don't have ambition for LA Galaxy to become a top club in North America and the standard again for football in this country around the world!

10. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I humbly disagree, we've been down this road before and failed. And as Beckham has shown having a good technical director is not a recipe for success on the pitch and off anymore. Especially now with social media and the young players not being swayed by executives rather image and business opportunities in sports entertainment. Maybe at small clubs this is a recipe for minor success, but we are a big market club think RM, Bayern, Man U etc. We have a much higher responsibility to win and entertain than most.

11. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zidane is still available. However, I don't really know much about his coaching style at all. Likely he would never come here as his ambitions seem high.

Geneva repped this.
  12. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    till MLS changes their financial structure and rules in general to coincide with European rules, none of these coaches mentioned will come here, the league is too restrictive for coaches with big egos and huge plans.

we witnessed the tantrum messi threw over the injury rule and he is considered a "good guy" in soccer now imagine people like mourinho, zidane and people of their ilk, having to navigate the game rules, along with TAM and DP shenanigans, they'd have a coronary before the first friendly.

JPAR, TrickHog, 73Bruin and 1 other person repped this.
  13. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds like an us problem(our league) but you're probably right. Although I think with a lot of assistance from the club having someone else deal with that an leaving them to concentrate on the football it could work. I mean no offense dawdler but spurs aren't known to splash the cash. Neither is Roma heck in Italy they push to cut your salary after a while. Of course someone speaking to them being in their ear constantly like becks did with Messi's father. It took him 4yrs to get him, we should have done this after Onalfo! By now who knows what we could've looked forward to.

Dawdler repped this.
  14. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes its a league problem, and I don't think the assistance would work for these high profile coaches, they are used to saying I want this player and this player and a team with money will say okay and get the players, if they were here, they would be met with we can't get this player because we don't have enough TAM or their discovery rights belong to Podunk FC, they're head would explode.

Spurs are a big club with financial availability with a small league and budget mentality and that is why Mourinho and Conte did not get the results because of the frustration of having to deal with Levy who has a death grip on the purse strings and which is why they keep going back to Mason as manager because he comes cheap and knows the limitations that Spurs puts on player transfers.

I believe they lucked into getting Ange and I hope they let him do his thing and don't hinder him but time will tell.

I do get where you are coming from with Becks laying the groundwork to get Messi here but it still took a lot to get him here, the huge amount of money and marketing opportunities and the support from a huge corporation like Apple helped, and realistically Messi only had two options that were fiscally beneficial to him come to the US and enjoy the perks that being a celebrity entails in America or go play in the Middle East and deal with an unhappy wife.

hav77 and Geneva repped this.
  15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Martino was obviously attracted to the idea of coaching Messi and the other Barca players they were assembling. Our DP’s don’t have that kind of coach pulling power, but I I don’t think that is a problem. There are plenty of excellent lesser-known coaches out there, the only trick is identifying them. You do that by watching their teams play - are they organized, focused, determined? Is the coach getting more than expected from his players? Do the players like playing together and for the coach, even if he is tough on them? I think Kuntz has shown that he is very smart, good at evaluating players and so I have no doubt he will be able to do this when picking a coach as well.

My worry, ironically, is Vanney’s is expiring contract. If there were 2 or 3 years left I could easily see Kuntz firing Vanney midseason. But since Greg’s time is almost up he may decide to just wait until the offseason and then not renew.

Hopefully the latter isn’t the case - I really don’t want to watch Vanney waste yet another Galaxy season.

hav77, JPAR and Dawdler repped this.
  16. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Kuntz is going to do everything he can to get better players in during the summer window and then evaluate how Vanney integrates the new players and how they respond to Vanney's coaching, as of right now it doesn't look promising for Vanney, Paintsil has fallen off a cliff at the moment and at least to me it looks like he is being reigned in to work within the system instead of just playing on instinct like he did when he first arrived with limited coaching.

17. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Arena is out there - 18 month contract, hire him in the summer. Probably too much nostalgia there, but the man was winning in New England until whatever happened, happened.

Otherwise there are lots of good, young coaches in Europe that might want a chance at being a head coach in LA for a few years. NYCFC has done a good job of bringing up and coming coaches through, although I know they have the Man City contacts. I would trust Kuntz to scout and bring someone in who has an actual vision for how we should play.

cleschke, TrickHog, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really follow. All those clubs have technical directors.

I think people are underestimating how expensive coaches like Mourinho and Klopp are. It wouldn't even make financial sense to hire them; they'd be higher paid than our DPs.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m at minute 79 of the Argentina - Guatemala friendly and Messi already has 4 goal contributions with 2 goals & 2 assists. Both assists and one of the goals were sublime; the 1st goal was a gift from the Guat gk. The Magician is such a pleasure to watch. The last time I sw this soccer IQ and skill combined on the field was.watching Maradona in his prime.

I tell you, there is something in that Gaucho water. :):thumbsup:

TrickHog, El Futbolisimo and Dawdler repped this.
  20. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I said 5-0 Argentina and lost that bet. Whatever Mex coach Luis Fernando Tena is doing with Guatemala it is improving them. Something I thought was impossible to do. That 1st half was eye opening and you could tell the Argie coach was frustrated early in the second half that a team like Guatemala was holding them 2-1. We were laughing about it. It didn't start looking like a blowout until El Fideo Angels Di Maria came in and he and Messi just connect at a higher frequency. Still, it's Guatemala. That 2-1 score was a bit embarrasing.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Re: watching Euro 2024. As far as I can tell you can watch most, but not all games on the Fox app, but you need a cable subscription. You can watch everything on Fubo for $85. You can watch some for free on Vix and some more on Vix Premium, but not everything? Did I get that right or is there a better option?

This is why I like the MLS AppleTV+ so much. Setting aside everything else I know I can open the app and watch the game I want to watch.

galvanator, skydog, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    England lacks creative, tricky dribblers. They need more Latinos!

galvanator, Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The English team never fails to be very English in their play....

24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    We sent them home. We needed the “try shit” creativity of Grealish and Madders instead we got a left back playing in midfield and Connor Gallagher.

I thought that game was going to be a carbon copy of the Denmark/Slovenia match. Serbia just couldn’t get an enough shots on target.

skydog, TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use Google calendar heavily. Does anyone know if there is a site which would permit me to download the Copa America game schedule to that calendar? Manually entering that many games would be pretty tedious.

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.