Resolved: Accumulation of wealth is unjust...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Jun 28, 2005.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Meritocracy is inhumane, unchecked capitalism. It should be rejected naturally.

2. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to rewind.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that? Apparently it is not natural to me

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can understand why somebody like you would think a meritocracy is unfair. :D

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Shame it doesn't work.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4558951894&rd=1
    Most people got their wealth by working for it. If they want to give it to their children as opposed to charity or the government, why stop them? Leave the estate tax & income taxes in place, just tweak them. Have a $1 million exemption on estate & exclude family farms. Go flat tax with fewer deductions, 0% below the social security cut-off, 20% above it.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    It does if you do!

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "Over all, the top 2 percent of earners, the 2.5 million filers with income of $200,000 or more, paid almost 27 cents in taxes for each dollar of income they reported in 2002, other I.R.S. data showed. This group accounted for 53.5 percent of the income tax paid by all Americans."

I guess the remaining 42.5% comes from the in-between 48% (middle class). If we can increase tax collections from corporations or wealthy tax cheats to cover the 4% currently paid by the bottom half of households, their share of federal taxes could be cut entirely. At the same time, if we could cut into "entitlements" such as welfare, unemployment, social security disability & the earned income credit, mandate a national minimum wage of $10 & reduce tax evasion, the federal budget (money needed) would be a lot smaller, too.