Reserve Team?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by scroogemcduck2000, Aug 30, 2002.

1. scroogemcduck2000

scroogemcduck2000 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Eastern Shore
    When are the proposed "reserve" teams supposed to start and how will this affect DC United? Who would the teams play against? The other reserve teams, A-league clubs, or d3?

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Super Y League teams = DC United Reserves ... sorta

Well actually MLS's version of "Reserve Teams" currently isn't the same as the European version. Ours are really more youth teams that have an affiliation with MLS sides and are sponsored by them and occasionally an MLS coach (almost always an assistant coach) goes and teaches them some things. But, they cannot be called up to the MLS side, nor do they earn any money. And, they don't practice with the MLS side except for a few times a season usually.

DC United does have a reserve team of sorts. Actually, several of them. They are youth teams with the name "DC United" and they compete in the Super Y League, which was recently granted ODP--US Olympic Development Program--status. We have boys teams for U-14, U-15, U-16 and U-17. All of them made the Super Y League Finals by winning their geographic region. We also have a girls U-14 team as well.

In addition, one of those teams recently went to England and played several EPL and English First Division teams' youth teams. The DC United team did fantastic and won nearly every game, losing only to Manchester United by 1 goal and another team by 1 goal. They won the Bolton Wanderers' Tournament while there. The English coaches, players and fans were shocked at how good the DC United reserves were ... kinda cool. :D

There is some discussion about them here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9146

Hope that helps.

-Tron

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I think there's the manner of getting the players they want. For instance, that promising right back, Kelly Riles, is waffling on signing a contract at this point in his career. Let's hope he does!

4. scroogemcduck2000

scroogemcduck2000 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks a lot, tron. It does help...I just thought that it was going to be like the other reserve teams from aroud the world, but it is still a step in the right direction.

5. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Scrooge is talking about something slightly different than the Y-League teams. A month or two ago, Garber mentioned at a press conference that all the MLS teams were going to have reserve teams in the near future.

I would imagine that these teams would play in the PDL, similar to what Chicago, Colorado, etc already had this season, and would probably consist of local college players and promising youth players. In the not-too-distant future, there would be a relatively seamless progression from U14 Y-League team to the United first team, with maybe a loan season or two in the A-League or D3 between reserve team and first team. Or so I dream...