Reserve match after the main team this Sunday

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick note that the reserves will play their game after the main teams play this Sunday. Stick around and see how the young players are developing!

2. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Will this be in the main stadium?

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Just stay in your seat and enjoy!

4. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Only if you use the jumbotrons to show the Mavs game.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone plays a few minutes in the main match, is he still elligible to play in the reserve match?

6. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Yes, but a player total minutes played for the two matches cannot exceed 90 minutes.

That is principal reason why they schedule the reserve matches to be played after the league matches.

7. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I took a look at the rules, and my previous statement was incorrect. A player may play no more than 120 minutes combined.

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they must have changed it as it was 90.

9. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Yes, it was one of the rule changes going into this season, because with only a 28 player roster with injuries it was difficult to fill an entire reserve squad last year.

10. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Very cool. If junior's game didn't have me going in opposite directions this Sunday, this would be a definite difference maker for me to make the drive. 2 for 1 is always better. It's gotta be cool for the reserve players on both squads knowing that they will carrying over some of the intensity from the first match.

Gotta be cool for the assistant coach too. He can probably 2nd guess the head honcho w/o reprocussions. "if I was head coach I would....". By the way, who is the head coach of the reserves?

BTW Why not have Leyva's team play before an FCD game? More intrigue and ET value. Big thumbs up to the double header concept.

11. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    No offense, Teddy, but I could give two s***s. ;)

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we sell those pregame matches, and we're not going to open the entire stadium just for a youth game. We are talking about 14 year olds, right? The way we do the pre-games is that we let those who have the tickets through the pre-game sale to come in and watch their kids play (or friends play, in the case of adult rec teams), then clear out the stadium in time for the gates to officially open 1.5 hours before kickoff. Getting everyone up and running for a youth game just isn't feasible (from my spot in the rotation - it might be worth a suggestion in the suggestion box, though as a one-time deal.)

13. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Maybe not feasible. But, I am stilled jazzed by the Dallas Cup games. Viewing good soccer from the youngest ages through the Super Group made the whole thing seem so connected. Given the overall concept of the park with its surroundings, I thought it would make sense.

While the Zen's of the world may not care today, the future of American soccer is developing on the fields just outside the main stadium. Given the results, maybe our brightest hopes are the young local generations of soccer who are besting the best in the world.

Spotting and speculating on who might be the next Dempsey, Ronaldhino, or Keller is part of the fun. I also think it would be entertaining and a huge motivation for local youth soccer. Of course, we could just go to the regular league games on the surrounding fields. But, a match of the week with a little local intrigue would not be so bad in the big stadium.

In Central America, the double header was pretty standard. While not neccessarily captivating every head, it served to get people into the stadium a little earlier and had the crowd primed and ready for the main match. Of course, concession $'s would benifit, but primarily the atmosphere improves. Unfortunately at the moment, the opening whistle is the fan's cue to finish their beers, lock up the cars, and to start strolling to their seats.

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the doubleheader idea.

How about these as doubleheader possibilities:

1) An FC Texas team plays one of its home league matches as the 1st game

or better, yet,

2) FC Dallas creates an amateur team ala "Bend it Like Beckham" that is FCD's official women's team.

This team would potentially be a key source of players for any future WUSA (or WMLS) team in Dallas

Note: if the ladies' amateur team has players like

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

I suspect attendance at the 1st game of the doubleheader will be quite good :)

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rod, love ya', but did you not read what I wrote about how we sell those pre-games? And frankly, our marketing efforts are stretched thin enough just trying to promote FC Dallas. We're doing all we can and you guys still don't seem to think it is enough. Now you want us to promote and grow another team?

Theo - I agree about the Dallas Cup. I've always been proud that this is here iin Dallas, and this past year, I'm even more proud that American teams won every age group and Dallas teams won most of them. And it wasn't as if we didn't have some strong competition come in.

FWIW, if you want to follow a specific team, bear in mind that most clubs have their own websites and you can probably get the schedule there. (The parently might this it a bit creepy to have strangers show up to a youth game, but that is your call.)

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a valid point re selling pre-games to folk who buy large amounts of tickets. But I'm think more of the long run here.

Long term, I think ideal candidates to play in the 1st game of a doubleheader would be:

1) an FC Dallas' sponsored team in the W-League

or

2) an FC Dallas' sponsored PDL team

or

3) an FC Dallas' sponsored Super Y League team (or whatever they call that league nowadays) or FC Dallas' sponsored classic league team (i.e. FC Texas).

17. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Oh, I care, and when I get to the tailgate in a couple of hours I'll be watching those youth games and heckling the hell out of those children. :D

I could just give two s***s about Levya since he'll be playing for Mexico, and we all know that Mexico won't make another World Cup after this one for about 40 years.

18. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    You mean the Mexico that just won the u17 world cup? They will be around and competing for the big one for the next 3 world cups for sure.

19. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Sounds like a little thinking outside the box would do the FO some good. The current model doesn't encourage those youth teams and all that surrounds them to become FCD fans.

20. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? They buy tickets to the games (and we're not talking 20 or 50) - people who stick around for the game. So basically we're talking 240-400 people coming to the game. How is that not encouraging them to become FCD fans?

21. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    The way you described how you handle the games I doubt that 50% of the people that come to see their kids would stay after the stadium has been cleared.

22. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who attend the pre-game are asked to go to the gates so we can do a quick run through before the gates are open. It is supposed to be a short wait - less time than it would take to go to the car and back. Of course, the ones who play usually want to drop off their gear, but they are also the ones who want to see the game the most.

23. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would certainly go to see a women's professional game as an opening act, so to speak. It cannot truley be called a double header, isnce there needs to be plenty of time for the men to warm up, once the women's game is over. So it would need to be over by about three. that means you are starting it at one in the afternoon, in August. One in the afternoon in a Dallas summer would be perfect for the National Team to play, oh, say, Sweeden, but it is asking a lot of the fans to weather the sun, not to mention the players. Still, it gives us two chances to tailgate.

Even so, a new W League should not be started for double headers, cross marketing, or increased concession sales. Only if it can survive, and, eventually, thrive.

Dead but dreaming,
    Scipio Diabolus,
    vox fatum.

Contra.

Grounded.

http://www.cato.org