Reserve Game Stories: A Funny Adu One

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by McOwen, Jul 5, 2005.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just a quick funny story from the reserve match on Sunday in Columbus.

Freddy Adu had finished playing the first half of the match and was over on an empty field directly behind the bleachers practicing set pieces with Crew "Blue Lagoon" look-a-like Danny Szetela (90% sure).

Several Barra Brava members were taking turns looking over our shoulders watching Freddy launching these low ankle high powerful blasts at the goal, but also watching the more interesting game in front of us.

At one point while looking back, I happen to see Freddy hit a real laser of a shot (while standing at the right side of the goal area) to the far post. The ball zinged off the far post and pin balls directly to the near post and then into net 1-2-3, all in the span of 2 seconds... It was lightning fast and we could hear the ball literally ringing the goal posts.

No matter what the situation it was a pretty amazing shot and Freddy got all excited and yelled over at us (even knowing only a handful were casually watching) asking "DID YOU SEE THAT?! DID YOU SEE THAT?!"

Being the smart a$$ that I am, I then took the chance to tease him and remark, "I always wondered if you guys practiced hitting the goal posts like that!!"

Freddy said something like "Heck yeah, I meant to do that!" back and we all had a good laugh :D

[​IMG]

--The nice part was after he was finished he came over to say hello to the Barra Brava roadtrippers WITHOUT even being asked. It was a really cool stand up thing for young Freddy to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of players were really cool and kind talking with the fans and generally appreciating us for coming out. Especially Dema Kovalenko, Mark Simpson, Nana K. and Eric Quill.

We even got to hear the guys teasing 3rd string goal keeper (#30) Andrew Weber for his missed chances while playing target forward.

(And hey at 6' 2" 185 pounds this kid worked his A$$ off out there and really played hard. I got a laugh out of several players telling him that it shows what a "great" GM I am that I thought he was one of the best out there and EXACTLY what kind of big, physical, forward we needed to finish those crosses :)

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    This can't be true, because everyone knows that Freddy hates playing for DC United.

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    me: Freddy come take a picture
    Freddy: sure!
    me: no dude, I ment can you take Barra picture
    Freddy oh ok :(
    me: just kidding

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he might have come over and asked to be traded to Columbus! ;)

That's great that the players are so accessible to the fans. It makes me want to come out to the next home reserve match, except that I'll probably be too damned hung-over!

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    That's funny. And not a very nice way to treat a kid. :D

Then again, he's rich, so what the hell. ;)

6. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

It's just stunning that you already have a card, isn't it?

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I really wish I could send more negative rep your way, but apparently I have to spread it out first.

Anyone want to cover me?

8. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sorry Mike... I just used all of mine up neg rep-ing the visiting Metrosexuals in the Lalas thread :(

--I suppose the mongoloid just missed the part where I said Adu CAME OVER TO US witrhout even being asked to... :rolleyes:

p.s. I am far from an Adu lover, hell I hate children (amongst a great number of other things :D )

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Mod Note: It appears that the Metrotrolls are back. Please don't respond to them, they get off on that.

Thanks.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It was funny watching Danny and Freddy shooting at the goal all alone on the opposite field. You could just tell Danny wished he was cleared to play in the game, but he also had fun goofing off with his good friend Freddy.

My little sister went over to Freddy after he got done taking some pictures with you guys, and Freddy gave her his jersey from the reserve game. He told her the next time he's in town to bring it to the game and he'll autograph it for her; he's a hella'of a kid.

11. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Got it.

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Thats awesome man, didnt even see it. Great story. :)

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's certainly nicer than "go practice some penalties instead of free kicks" from 5 minutes before that :D

He has good sense of humor and lotsa self-esteem, good thing cos he needs it around Barra :p

[​IMG]

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Yeah, I am sure he gave your sister his jersey just because he is a nice kid and all he wants to do is autograph it when he is back in town. Sure.

;)

15. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    I firmly believe we have the fan friendliest team in MLS.

16. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    The other funny Freddy story is this one:

Perkins hits a long ball up to Freddy along the sidelines. Freddy attempts a chest trap but misplays the ball and it drops out of bounds. Several of us moan "come on Freddy you have to do better than that". Freddy turns around and says "Ya I know". Flashes a smile and runs off.

I also got a good laugh out of Quill when I told him he could be a guest player any day right after he scored.

17. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    You guys are hilarious. Good thing they all have a sense of humor. It could get ugly otherwise.

18. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Quick (unrelated) question:

Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere, but how many local fans came out for the reserve game?

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    it wasn't bad at all, I would say over a 100 (that's counting 20-30 of us). I was suprised. I would imaginer a lot of it had to do with Freddy playing tho.

20. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent much of yesterday giving out rep to others for just that reason. And now I'm unable again.

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I'd guess closer to 200 folks.

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She doesn't look like Jojo, does she?

23. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    That's awesome. Is that typical? Or was there (I hate to ask) a Freddy effect?

Either way, I hope the people there enjoyed the proximity of the players. I love the reserve games myself, because you're so close to the action, you get to hear the chatter on the field, and the players are appreciative.

24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's pretty typical. Usually around 150.

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Could be, people were coming and going :) it was definitelly not bad.