"Reputation"?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Rocket, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    BigSoccer "reputation" has been stated to be a possible tool to grant special privileges to members who get a high enough score. I do not feel I should miss out on those "perks" because some people had to act like sophmoric assclowns.

If you notice, I did complain about the Rep system, but I "let it go" because people were not taking advantage of the system to hurt my Rep rating. However, when ElJefe goes WAY out of his way to give me negative rep (referencing a post in a thread in a forum that he NEVER EVER goes in), and then when YOU gravy train and give me positive rep stating "El Jefe is a great judge of character" (that's a hilarious subject for another thread FWIW), I have a definite problem.

2. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    There is no negative benefit, nor any penalty, to such a practice.

3. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Based on what?

Do you have the magical formula that states "this many Rep points will get you _______ "?

I could care less what El Jefe says about me. He's an immature little man with too much power and influence. Same for AndyMead, and his penchance for gravy training someone else's dislike for me. I know I have quite a few people who don't care for the fact that I think differently than most everyone else. I'm unique, and that's that. However, when they can influence if, OR how soon, I get those "positive rep perks" for having ____ amount of rep points, I have a problem.

4. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it says that

"Nicodemus is a splendid one to behold"

high praise indeed

5. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What will those "perks" be? Hookers?

If so, I'm definitely going to need to start whoring myself (oh, the rich, rich irony) to get some more of those green things.

If someone legitimately disagrees with you or thinks you wrote a bad post, will you complain then? Will you retaliate with "negative rep"?

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    And that's the thing - he is more than happy to accept undeserved positive rep, yet cries foul when someone dares to disapprove lest it prevent him from enjoying the fruits of the as-of-yet non-existent "perks".

7. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Power and influence over WHAT? Are they the ********ing Stonecutters, or something?

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Reasons I stay out of the NSR forums for 200, Alex.

9. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Freemasons?
    Stonecutters are the group that Homer Simpson was a brief member of.

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Andrew. I just read that preem love fest thread. You've got some balls to talk about fatal flaws and abusing the reputation sytem. Unbelievable.

11. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There are no perks. It's there to help filter the noise.

12. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss, where do I open a "Helpdesk Ticket" so I can get my personal forum back?

13. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Now I'm getting pissed. I'm not appreciating the lynch mob mentality here.

This is a quote from Jonny Quest - timestamp 21 Mar 2004, 11:48 PM

And now Huss chimes in - timestamp 02 Apr 2004, 08:04 PM

Obviously, there are thoughts of some kind of reward system that could be put in place. What I don't want to see, is if some kind of reward system is put in place to reward those with a certain level of Positive rep, and I don't get to benefit as quickly because some people decided to utilize Negative Rep against me simply to continue their outdated hate agendas (i.e. El Jefe), or if they choose to rip on me for merely expressing my opinion on the subject, and having the cajones to respond to those who disagree with me. (i.e. Lanky134).

It's true that in NotSoccer, we give each other positive Reputation points quite a bit. I seriously doubt it's the only forum where such a thing happens. If you believe that it's the only place where such an occurence happens, you are incredibly naive. However, that concept is off some people's radar scopes. Why don't the lot of you go after everyone ELSE in that thread who has whored for Positive Rep? :mad:

And contrary to other people's opinions on BigSOccer, I do have positive contributions to the forums that I post in, and that is why I do get some positive Reputation points.

Nevertheless, it's completely apparent that the Reputation system is horribly flawed. It is obviously subjective.

14. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    CONTACT US, bottom of page.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Because they don't bitch and moan when they get negative rep for no good reason. If you're going to get positive rep just because, what's wrong with getting negative rep just because?
    Oh, I don't doubt that. And likewise, there are people who believe that some of your contribution is negative. I've given you negative rep before, and I had a good reason to do so. I guess that makes me an assclown.
    Well, yeah.

16. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Boy you are going out on a limb there, soccerandy5. Subjective? Of course it's subjective - it's the other users opinions of you. Why you seem to be unable to handle the fact that other people don't like you is beyond me. You always get worked up over stuff, year after year. I regret changing your name cause it took me days to figure it was you complaining! Get over it - it's just a green dot on a silly message board. You have too much time on your hands to get worked up about this. Just drop it. If you are a decent fellow, two people giving you negative rep is not in the least gonna affect you. And the point of my post was to help you relax by letting you know that hi rep or low rep isn't gonna keep you from missing out on anything. The only difference in features is between regular and preemie members. Lastly, the easter eggs are in the rep levels themselves, not elsewhere on the boards. The whole point of rep is to have at an eye glance a quick idea of what others on the boards think of someone you may not know, helping to filter out the noise if possible. That should end this discussion, let's drop it, underthread of ...oooooh....admin negative rep points! :)

17. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I already explained why. I'm not going to do it again.

We all agree to disagree here. It's in the hands of Huss and JQ and whoever else. I have eloquently stated my case against the system, provided numerous examples, and that is that.

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    This post reminds me of "The Life of Brian," where Brian tries to convince his disciples that he's not the Messiah. You see, only the true Messiah would deny that he is the Messiah ... (brain explodes).

Also, I find it truly heretical that you just referred to this as a "silly message board." My wife spent her morning on "The Bachelor" message board. THAT is a silly message board. By comparison, this place is like the Davos Economic Forum crossed with the Supreme Court and a G-7 Summit. My $30 a year says it's not exclusively silliness.

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Since you put it in big bold letters, I guess you're right.
    At least you're modest. But thanks for dropping the subject for now. Bye.

20. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Casper just earned a dot. I think Andy is about to lose one.

21. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    PS - I've been waiting for someone to notice what happens when you click on YOUR OWN scales. :)

22. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of your last 100 posts, 98 have come in non-soccer forums. Of the two in soccer forums (both in the premium soccer forum), one was a "fixed post" and the other was "I guarantee the Crew won't lose this weekend."

Yeah, that's pretty positive.

Look, I couldn't care less about the reputation system myself (I don't think I've received a vote either way, and if I have I couldn't tell you how I would check that). But it's funny that those who complain the loudest about it being a popularity contest are those who, through multi-page lovefests, are turning it into...a popularity contest.

RS

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Suddenly I feel like Heidi Fleiss.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right now, we're all in an arms race. The real fun will be when the reputation wars break out. :p

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, Andy, your negative rep from me was well-earned. You contribute nothing -- and I mean NOTHING -- to the BigSoccer community. 85% of your posts on BS can be summed up in the following categories:

1. Obsessing about the posters that rapped you hard when you made the mistake of wandering over to MLS Rivalries

2. Talking about complete bullcrap in the Not Soccer forums. (True story: Your last post in any of the USA forums was in the middle of February -- two months ago.)

#1 I can understand. Captain Ahab was pretty annoyed, too. And #2 is also not a shame. There are plenty of posters on BigSoccer who never venture outside of Free For All.

But the way you go about it is completely anti-social, devoid of any sense of personal responsibility, and out of touch with reality. You might think that I'm some sort of rogue persona non grata here at BigSoccer, but the truth is that my reputation started roughly at the same level that yours did, but has gone up as I've actually contributed some useful, interesting, and occasionally amusing posts.

Most importantly, all of my positive reputation has been unsolicited. I just throw something out there and if people like it and want to give it positive reputation, fine. If they don't, then I'll get over it. Apparently, people like what I'm throwing out there enough to give me positive rep, and I appreciate it.

And that's what separates me from you. You spend your time writing posts begging for approval and ranting against people who don't like you. I spend my time writing posts that might inform or entertain people. And that's why you have earned the negative rep that you got from me.

Although I will admit that the "assclown" part was a bit gratuitous.