"Reputation"?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Rocket, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

And the novelty will wear off eventually and this will become a usefull tool. Once people get their friends all boosted up - or down - they will forget about it and use it only in extreme cases. It's really going to be a tool to show people (at a glance) if a user is a complete moron in the eyes of others or a generally good poster.

Give it a couple months. You'll see.

2. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

I agree with this.

I also think maybe people should be able to see who posted what about whom.

I've been trying to let people know it was me when I approve them while trying it out. I think that if you take away the anonymity of the approver (and more importantly the disapproval) then the likelyhood of abuse will drop a bit.

For instance, if I knew I was going to leave my name along with a disapproval, I might be a little careful just throwing them around to people when I had only read one or two posts by them. Of course, it certainly wouldn't deter me from proudly proclaiming that I was the one that disapproved the ones tht truly deserve it like Flannigan. :D

3. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    That doesn't work in reality, AFL.

People would and can dish out negative "rep" points simply because they don't agree with their particular point of view on a subject. I would be willing to bet that posters in the Politics forum would be pissing themselves at the opportunity to post "negative rep" points towards others simply because they support a different political agenda. It's already happening to me. I've been given negative rep points simply because I have shown opposition to this flawed system.

I also support the notion that if this system is going to be used going forward, that I should be able to see who is posting items to their Reputation score.

And I thought of this today: The admins and mods want to use the "Reputation" feature as a tool to help curb the personal attacks and trolls that occur far too frequently on BigSoccer, outside of Rivalries. I see where they are going with this.

However, they already have a tool in place to acheive that goal. It's known as the Terms of Service (that thing we all agreed to upon use of the BigSoccer boards). That, along with effective and consistent moderating of forums across the board (except for Rivalries), would curb 99 percent of the personal attacks and trolling that occurs presently. You wouldn't need this "Reputation" system that has already been shown to have a deadly flaw due to its subjective nature, and that you are asking the same people who do the personal attacks and trolling to do the grading of other posters.

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    On your control panel, there is a section that lists the last five posts for which you received Reputation points, either positive or negative. Presumably, the mods and admins have access to the same information, and they can use their judgement to determine if a post for which one was awarded negative points deserves further action, such as carding.

5. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Huss, can you confirm this presumption?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Well, I'm a mod and I don't see anything like Lanky suggests. Mods read all the posts in their forum anyway, and posters use the "report post" button to alert us to things we miss.

7. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Knave, if this really happens, and the personal attacks and trolls are dealt with appropriately as you describe, why is this new "Reputation" system needed?

8. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

But you're basing your entire theory based solely on the experience of three days. Give it some time. As of right now, I cannot give reps to the very first person I gave them to three days ago - even though I maxxed out each day so far trying to see how the system works.

So if things remain the same, each poster has at bare minimum a three day cooling off period before shooting another poster down again.

Now, add to this a possible system that shows who flamed you, and you have a nice system in place. Sure the first couple weeks of that people will be shooting revengs reps all over the place, but like everything else, that will die down soon nough and it'l settle down to what it's supposed to do.

9. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I'm gonna step in and give my two cents unsolicited.

It help users to this site guage how another poster is regarded.

For instance, there are plenty of people that come to BigSoccer every now and again just to read posts. Not post, just read and fgather information. When people like that read threads that they aren't quite sure are horsecrap or not, they can look at the little guage and see if the poster is highly regarded, thought of as a tool, or somewhere inbetween.

I know that when I started here, this would have been very very helpful in getting an idea of who to believe, who to dismiss, and who likes to stretch the truth to fit their needs.

I don't know if this is exactly what the powers that be had in mind, but I know that this will certainly be a nice add-on to the system. We have ways for mods and admins to keep things in line for the most part. This is a way for the people to do it along side.

Kind of a checks and balances effect.

10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well, I think it's a really, really stupid idea. I have never cared what any of you people think about me, and never will. I hope I get the worst reputation possible, because I welcome and cherish your hatred. You suck. I hate you all.

And be sure to listen to AMERICAN SOCCER NEWS, with ME, Dan Loney! Every Tuesday at 10 Eastern, 7 Pacific, on BIG SOCCER RADIO! Mm-wah!

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slashdot's "Karma" system of moderation works pretty well. They used to show absolute karma levels, but now it's abstract ("good", "excellent").

The way the moderation works, is every so often a poster will be notified that they get moderation points to spend moderating up or down posts. They can spend their points (or lose 'em) over the next few days. Selection is random, and your odds of selection go up the more you metamod (see below).

Additionally, "meta"-moderation occurs - randomly selected users are given the ability to rate moderation results as fair or unfair. Now, how they use metamoderation I don't know. Maybe "unfair" moderations are dropped into a queue for the admins to review. No idea.

People who read Slashdot can choose to browse comments at a certain point level - meaning I can chose to read only comments that are +3 or better (all comments cap at +5 or -1).

No "karma" system like this will ever be free from "karma whores". All it really does is allow for a broad community opinion to form of users. Slashdot doesn't allow filtering of users below a certain karma level, but of posts below a certain moderation level.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Crap.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My name is ElJefe and I have approved this message.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It seems El Jefe will become famous soon enough. Can't wait.

But will it be because he discovers the cure for cancer or he leads LAPD on a slow speed chase on an LA freeway with Michael Jackson riding in the back, ala OJ & AC, we shall see.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're bitter about the UT win over UNC, aren't you?

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Meissen is conducting a bit of an experiment regarding the reps in the FFA forum. Check it out.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I like this if just to read the blurbs from people I've really cheesed off. Fun!

18. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey, Foos, I hope you liked the one(s) I left you. :)

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yes and no.

I have no problem with Texas, other than that it's a crap state. It's losing to Rick Barnes that really smarts.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw c'mon. What did Rick Barnes ever do to you?

21. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Since the trend is use people's posts as signatures to honor their wit or stupidity, there should be a function that will slap someone's post directly into your signature and add or subtract rep. as needed. Not an exclusive way to determine rep, but a function of it.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    How do I take the last five reputation posts off my Control Panel? While I appreciate any rep feedback, I could live without having to see the same post listings each time.

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Click on this thing [​IMG] next to your point total.

24. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Thanks. I'll do that.

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'll give this reputation thing a shot, but it is weird. While I'm indordinately proud of my "such a clueless pinhead" from USASoccer(he left it anonymously, the clever lad), it was a bit weird to get negative feedback for a 2 sentence post from 20 days ago about how Karl Keller has no sense of humor. On a Flannigan Title IX thread of all places!
    As I said - weird.