Republican Senators balk at $$ for New Orleans

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Northcal19, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    So W, trying to rescue his own political ass goes on TV last night and promises a chicken in every pot. Only his backers, smelling the burnt toast that his presidency is say: "Whoa. We aint chippin' in."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/16/p...da6e9d718&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Has there ever been a conservative President, who didn't believe in government, that was such a free spender? Timberrrrr.....

2. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be like New Deal 2 (and I'm not a big fan of it). Except that Bush's own party is gunna say "No Dice", especially the people he stomped on along the way, like SD Reep Sen John Thune.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Daschle would have saved that military base. SD elected an incompetent and and now I'm happy to see them pay for it.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush more and more reminds me of...

L.B.J.

NO MORE TEXANS in the white house.

5. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Looks like a lose/lose scenario for the GOP in '06.

Either their congressional candidates stick with Bush and risk getting hammered by their constituencies by association, or they run from him like they stole something. Either way, party strength suffers.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not necesarily. Bush is proposing merely what government is supposed to do if a disaster of this magnitude strikes. You can be against big government, but if you have common sense you can still understand the need for government involvement in this particular type of situation.

If congressional republicans (and democrats too) are willing to give up their hard earned 'pork' and work together to put all that money towards helping the victims of the hurricane and the rebuilding process, they will not only be doing the right thing but I think it will also help them politically. But I wouldn't bet on them doing it. Most politicians don't think that way.

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The king is dead!

Iraq and Katrina will be remembered as the reasons for the fall of the Conservative Empire. The base is crumbling. And continuing on the Roman Empire analogy, watch the base go ballistic over immigration - among other things.

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100879.html

9. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, it does seem like Bush has lost Congress over this. Next three years are going to be brutal for Bush.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...seems like a good time for BushCo to start screaming about gay marriage again, or maybe a flag burning amendment....or both....

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Better raise the terror alert level while they're at it.

13. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before we start getting all self-satisfied and declare Bush's rule dead. . .

Let's get our head out of our asses, Lefty Liberal Moonbats. If Bush & the Republican Party DOES, in fact, start to falter, we need to be organized and ready with plans and new ideas. We need to stick to the facts, and stick to what the American people want from a Government.

Bush's speech writer did a smart thing in how he handled the race issue - he admitted it, made if official, but didn't beat it to death. He moved the conversation forward. If Democrats, instead, go back to sinking everyone in a giant swamp of blame and anger, we're just gonna end up back where we were - the minority party.

I'm not saying we need to dump our values, I'm saying we need to stay on message. It's about the Security of our Nation, stupid. The Democratic party has been handed a golden opportunity - Bush's Department of Homeland Security failed on a grand scale and at a very deep-seeded level. They failed to have an organized response to the disaster. That's the issue. Everything else is gravy.

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    HAHAHAHA

Ahem....

Thanks for the laugh before I head out to enjoy this weekend

15. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BushCo will do everything with tax increases. I wonder when they will address the tax cuts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050916/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_bush;_ylt=Aqc11D1L3Gk9iTI4B9rYx5Ks0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

Bush is not a fiscal conservative in any way or shape. He has never been in the past five years.

17. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thune saved it. You must not've gotten the memo.

18. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    'Nuts don't want to spend the money, and I think my fellow 'bats don't trust Bush to spend the money wisely. Eight billion up and vanished in Iraq - that would be enough to rebuild New Orleans on the moon.

On top of that, I've been convinced by Mike Segroves that New Orleans as we knew it was untenable. The French Quarter and business districts survived, sure, but the Port is fighting nature. We need a long-term plan down there, as well as short-term relief. If we're going to WPA New Orleans - and we have to have SOME kind of port and oil facilities down there - we shouldn't screw it up.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neglecting the fact that he's the scion of an old-money New England family who attended prep school (prep school!) in Massachusetts, as well as Yale and Harvard and that his "ranch" is a campaign prop that was purchased in 1999, there's the small issue that George W. Bush couldn't hold LBJ's jock.

20. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny is that the Republican Congress has done such a great job cutting wasteful spending out of the budget that I figured we. [giggle]. . . we'd . .[giggle, giggle]

sorry, I just couldn't stop laughing at what I was writing. . .