Post-match: Republic of Ireland

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defense was a disaster, even Yedlin was out classed by a middling Irish team. And the one playe, Miazga who was decent in the game, blew it at the end responsible for the goal.

The scores dont matter in these games, so Miazga can learn from that I guess, but there is a ton of work that needs to be done in the next year.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen should be our starting keeper.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga's at fault for not stopping a 2-on-1 in the box?

A little harsh, no?

jnielsen and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    2 guys in the corner making wedding plans. A midfielder enjoying the easy jog and a gaping whole at the top of the box. Miazga loses the 1 v. 1 for sure. But half of him is worried about the guy making the run off his shoulder.

That was 100% a break down in midfield which lead to a Miazga blunder and a goal.

[​IMG]

jnielsen and neems repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Wood

That all makes sense but whom? I think if the Hex proved anything, besides Arena is an idiot, it is that we have no creative offensive players except Pulisic. When he doesn't play, what else is there?

Wood is our most consistent scorer except Pulisic and he put one in. Rubin? Weah? Don't tell me, "____ in MLS". The MLS guys couldn't score one goal against Bosnia's C team.

Maybe in two years Weah and McKennie and Adams are more goal threats. All three had good looks on goal and missed, was saved, and was saved by a team mate.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The TSS guys did a good job analyzing this goal. Basically, LDLT does the wrong thing and it leads to a stoppage time goal at the end of a friendly. If LDLT doesn't make a bonehead play and it stays 1-1, is that really different for the analysis of individual and team performance? Does the fact that LDLT should be nowhere near the USMNT, much less on the field, make a difference?

Onward.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I couldn't take it anymore and fastforwarded through the last 20 minutes, to see if anyone scored.

The one thing I could tell from fast forwarding (it may have been more apparent fast forwarding than watching in real time) was that the ball almost never left our defensive half, and when it did, it came right back. Immediately.

So, did we bunker to try to preserve the draw, or were we just that bad?

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    LDLT _ landon donovan lawrence taylor? Ladies dont love tacos?

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Luca De La Torre

BTW, ladies love tacos

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No,

He had a very poor last 10 minutes and was totally exposed, but he played very well for 80 minutes

11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree that the game was horrible, but I do agree with problems with the US formation and most players not standing out. In the end, it was a 1-1 game until a bunch of subs and a late goal. We still created some decent chances on goal against a team who played hard and wanted to get rid of a poor outing against France.

I liked what I saw from Adams and continue to see the potential of Weah. I need to see more of Carter-Vickers because the two US game he had played have not been good.

My rule of thumb is that if you are not playing for club, your shouldn't be playing for the USMNT. Hamid shouldn't of been on the roster, let alone starting. It's no surprise that he was rusty.

Also, why not start Moore instead of Yedlin? Are still learning about Yedlin? He has reached his ceiling. Moore started off well, but a few poor decisions. I would have liked to seem across a whole game.

dwsmith1972 and Patrick167 repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think Moore is playing for his club anymore than Hamid is (altho his wiki page isn't up to date.). They tried Moore with uneven results which has been his trademark.

13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Moore played for the reserve team. Queue up the, "is a La Liga reserve team better than MLS" conversation....

Moore was signed to an extension. We will see where he is by the Gold Cup. There is always the possibility that he doesn't make it in the best league in the world and drops down to France or Holland or Bund.2.

I don't think you can make much of anyone's first 20 national team minutes. Lots of games coming up and Shaq has the summer to work into something.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Sarachan has played a lot of fullbacks in the past 8 months. Even including the nominal starters, Yedlin and Fana, the only fullback to stand out is Robinson. The worst by far was Polster.

Deadtigers and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake. I was unaware of his playing status (or lack there of).

16. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin has reached his ceiling? at 24? He was not good Saturday, but he's still one of the only americans starting for a team in a top league.

jjmack repped this.
  17. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I'll try to be gentle so I don't get in trouble.

1)newzealand...+10....everyone else....in the negative. That's a problem.

2) bunkering and losing in extra time isn't an example of being good....watch us Belgium WC 2014...going by the score ur saying it's was a positive.....watch the match you'll see the us got destroyed.

3)I like that u then go to the idea that the us was great in those tourneys...with spotty squad selection...if that's true then nobody should worry we are France just a few years behind....I'm gonna say we aren't.

4)zelalem lol it's amazing how when guys get hurt they literally get better. Everyone was missing players that weren't released I mean France could've had dembele and mbappe so don't talk like pulisic would've made a bigger impact.

5)don't state at the stats watch the matches. A win and two draws....gets u thru but if you are going to argue that's a tribute to the talent...I'd say it's not it's a lot of effort. I also don't see losing as an accomplishment. If u lose 1-0 and only have three shots on goal I don't care if they scored in the eighth min or the 95th....it's a loss. I didn't watch us Belgium and think oh boy sky is the limit...I watched and thought what a bearing that was.

18. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Over the next three years in the lead up to the '21 Hex it's going to be all about:

1.) Whether and/or how long Wood and Altidore will be able to potentially hold onto starting, or top 4 positions at Forward.

2.) What players emerge from our 1997-2003 to seize gigs in the midfield and/or at forward. There is a gigantic pile of talent coming up: delineating what talent is really just MLS/Concacaf capable, and what talent can graduate to part of the 23 of any major camp is open to question. But I can count about 25 Forwards and Midfielders who have 4 caps or less, and/or are 18 or younger and are not flyers, but rather genuine prospects with a real chance at turning into something special.

3.) What players born 1990 or earlier will stick around at least for the next two years.

Regardless when I look at the array of prospects below I'm excited, the more you have, the better chance you actually have something and we have a ton of potential prospects, many of whom I haven't even mentioned below (Hyndman, De La Torre, Perez etc).

4.) What the heck happens at Forward. We've got a poacher in Wood, an oft-injured, inconsistent problem in Altidore, in ACL recovery Morris, retirement tour in Dempsey, and then beyond that we have what exactly? Aguedelo? That's why Sargent, Weah, and the full court press on Siebatcheu will be HUGE. If Sargent and Weah continue to develop that will be immense for us, if we can get Siebatcheu to commit to us, that's just as big, and if Novakovich continues to improve, that helps too, but really, right now we have three vets that nobody wants in the starting lineup, a guy out with an ACL injury that STILL isn't proven, and then a bunch of kids that are teenagers, or were a part of the U-20 team in 2015 in Novakovich's case. Forward is a total mess.

I think creativity is on the way in terms of the midfield as well as technical, skilled and speedy guys, hopefully w/great speed of thought and soccer IQ too, if they can stay healthy, I think the midfield will sort itself out by late '20 at the latest. It's forward that scares the hell out of me. We have no cream at the top, just some middling vets (feels like a slightly better version of the whose who of nobodies that was our collection of Forwards in 2010 and 2006 beyond McBride), and then a handfull of exciting but very, very young prospects, a dual national, and Novakovich. That's a major problem if the position gets hit by injuries. We need the kids to stay healthy and get a lot better fast, because even the prospect pool at Forward is short on depth, after about 3 or 4 guys, the bottom falls out to long shots like Ebobsie, Akinola, Reynolds and Vasquez, guys that have a chance, but are real, real long shots. Oh and then there's Winger/Forward Haji Wright, who remains a complete and total enigma.

Forward:

Ready Now:
    Seibatcheu: (Call him up immediately and in every single window)
    Wood
    Altidore
    Morris
    Sargent
    Weah
    Dempsey: (I'd like him as a glue guy, if he can be that role for a year)

We'll know in 18+ Months
    Wright
    Vasquez

We'll know in 3+ years:
    Reynolds
    Akinola
    Ebobsie

Midfielders:

Central Midfielders:

Ready Now:

Pulisic
    McKennie
    T. Adams
    K. Acosta
    Lletget
    Green
    Rowe
    D. Williams (when recovered)
    Zelalem (when recovered)

We'll know in 18+ Months:
    K. Parks
    Durkin
    Carleton
    Llanez
    Pynadath
    Pomykal
    Goslin
    Mihailovic
    Sands

A bit longer out:
    Booth
    G. Reyna
    Nyeman

Wingers:

Ready Now:

Pulisic
    Saief
    Amon
    Gooch
    Lletget
    Arriola
    Green

We'll know within the next 18+ months....
    Tillman
    Wright
    Taitague
    Llanez
    Manneh
    Akale

Patrick167 and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    1. Can only play whose in front of you, but I agree, our Group in 2015 was absurdly easy.

2. Depends what you're referring to. In 2015 it was excellent, the team was missing key forwards due to injury, so like the seniors a year earlier, they were constantly struggling to push the Colombia and Serbia back on it's own end due to these issues. Still wasn't too bad, and we played fairly well in both games, we were not Belgium stomped (and I agree, Belgium would have won that game 3-1 or 4-1 w/only competent goal keeping, rather than outstanding.

3. Straw Manning. How about steel manning. My point is that both teams, particularly our squad in '17, were without key players, and supposedly had horrible coaching and made it deep into both tournaments and was not ousted until extra time in both instances. I never said we were France, Brazil, or even England's youth teams of late (as we learned last fall), I simply stated that getting as far as we did with the coaching we have, and the player issues we had suggests we are way, way, way better than what you think (which seems to be trash).

4. You can't compare France to us. Their cream is way better, and their depth is better than anyone on earth. What's the comparison for you? There is something between 40th and 1st you know? I would argue that we were missing at least 3 and possibly four of our best six players. We don't have anything remotely approaching the depth of a France, or a Germany or a Brazil, again, they have a hundred year head start on us. Even w/that being said though, it is not 1970 or 1985 or 1995 or even 2005 in terms of develop. It's 2018, and we are many, many, many miles ahead of where we once were, and in terms of the top players in our prospect pools at the 16 year old and 19 year old level, we've climbed from an also ran to snugly into that area between about 6th-15th in the world depending upon the crop. That's damn good and WAY better than we were circa 2008-2013.

As for Zelalem, I'm not sold on him as anything other than a stalled prospect BUT, Ramos saw fit to hand a key role in central midfield to him if memory serves, that's a key component in a team, and as part of the spine, losing him immediately as the tournament started was a huge blow to the team, and yet, it didn't really matter in terms of results. That's a compliment to the squad.

5. I watch, and observe and I pay attention to the analytics too. You need to do both because your eyes lie to you all the time. Everyone brings biases to their sporting interest and it impacts how they evaluate games in very subtle ways. Analytics, and basic stats helps bring elucidation. I didn't think we were blowing the doors off the world. We just played hard working, tough, and at times, superlative soccer, and we're found out when we played genuinely good and great youth teams. We weren't very good or great, we just occasionally played at that level (vs Paraguay in the U-17 tournament for instance), and more often were just solid to good. There was promise in it, and I'm excited going forward. I think we have the cream and the depth going forward to be relevant again, not elite, but relevant. Looking forward to it.

If the players develop as I think they will, by '22 we'll be a top 15 side in the world again, and qualify w/o any problems in '18, but this depends on Earnie (if he's hired), coaching, health, and continued development for a lot of players. A lot of "if's" but I believe enough will follow through to generate positive results going forward.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's because Polster is not a fullback, even if he's being used there. He's more a defensive CM.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have more hope for Josh Perez finding a better situation and becoming a decent winger/AM, than for Wright, at this point. At least Josh is appearing in cameos.

22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 10 min of these 5-6 sub/side games don't count for anything. Too much turmoil on the field, virtually always.

Patrick167 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then our next coach will call up Bradley and relegate all those players to the bench! [/half-sarcasm]

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Don't worry. I don't think Sarachan gets what he's doing either.

a_new_fan repped this.
  25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

You can tell Yedlin is already on vacation mode, just like Pulisic was last week. I give them both passes. If these were WCQ games and they played like they did, then yeah they deserve some harsh words.

As far as reaching his ceiling? Yedlin will get much better in the next 2-3 years, as long as he continues to start regularly in the EPL.

jjmack and rgli13 repped this.