Pre-match: Republic of Ireland, 6/2

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, May 28, 2018.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize Parks plays against Euro guys :)

frankburgers repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Going easy makes sense in a blowout. Going easy with 1-0 lead doesn't make sense given the possibility of a fluke goal.

They scored in the 55th minute but, ok, great.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ireland rather embarrassingly offered nothing going forward against France but they were well organized and thorough in their defensive spacing. Will be interesting to see them against the US.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Delgado would be here if he hadn't picked up a minor injury that kept him out of Toronto's game against Dallas recently.

5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with a fluke goal, Germany would have finished #1 in the Group with 5 pts (same as US) but with a much better goal diff than the US.

IndividualEleven and Winoman repped this.
  6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Scoreline does not tell the whole story.

You can win 1-0, or even tie 0-0 and still dominate.

Did you think that we were on even level with Belgium after 90 min? We should have lost that game by 3 or 4 goals in regulation.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Goalkeepers are part of teams. We should have won the game in regulation.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    So they then could have eased off at minute 80 or so.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Winoman repped this.
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    bring on the subs

CU soccer repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    • Midfielders Julian Green (right foot injury) and Kenny Saief (right knee injury) were held out of tonight’s squad due to injury. Midfielder Keaton Parks, defender Erik Palmer-Brown and goalkeeper William Yarbrough also will not dress for the match.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    wtf cmon

TxEx and CU soccer repped this.
  13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lt must be a huge coincidence that Saief suffers an injury right before game day.

14. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Parks? Why the hell not???

I don't really get this lineup. Rubin was active but profligate vs Bolivia, would've rather seen anyone else out wide. Robinson earned another start - let Jorge deal with France and see how he looks against non-Concacaf competition.

More worrying is that Sarachan is putting out what is probably our most experienced group (minus Corona) against Ireland... are we really going to start the kids vs France? I thought this game would be a better opportunity to see whether the promise shown vs Bolivia by the young guys would translate against real opposition. Now I'm a bit concerned that we're just going to see the exact same group vs France, meaning we don't get to learn as much as we could've from these two games that are otherwise meaningless.

TxEx and CU soccer repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

If we're going to start Trapp, which we are, putting McKennie and Adams in front of him makes a lot of sense to help protect his softness.

The biggest question for me is Weah at RW. I can see him at striker, SS or LW cutting inside onto his stronger foot. Putting him at RW seems to neuter all his strengths but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Strong CB pairing.

Frankly given what these games mean and the intent of them I'd prefer having Mueller starting at RW. He's the top young American RWer in MLS and he actually plays a style and has the skillset which projects to higher levels.

I'd sub on Sargent at the half for Wood.

I'm not convinced Sarachan't knows how to handle a talent like Keaton. Doubt he understands what that kid would bring to the game if put in the right position.

Villafana over Robinson makes my head hurt.

16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well I hope Keaton gets minutes against France then.

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Brian had it right.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He usually gets one wrong;)

19. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I'll be happy when Sarachan is gone. It's a friendly. We're not going to the WC. Play the kids.

TxEx, CU soccer, SCSAutism and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it pains me to say cuz i really like him as a player, but I don’t know what Wood has to do to get dropped from this team. He’s been absolutely horrible for club and country for a while now.

And it’s early, but Rubin is starting to look like Sarachan’s Zardes.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine Robinson will get the start vs France. Players need rest, and there's no need to run a guy ragged for these friendlies.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin has limitations, but he's going to get chances as long as our pool of guys who can play in wide attacking positions remains so thin.

Pulisic was given a needed rest, Saief and Green are hurt, so who else do you even slide in there?

eainterplay repped this.
  24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Not excited about this lineup, but let's go.

Anyone see an update for TV for this. ESPN2 has NCAA baseball that's in a rain delay, so that game is going to go way into ours.

25. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible, terrible lineup.

I’d be hard pressed to have picked a worse starting 11 and won’t be shocked in the slightest when this group gets rocked.

TxEx repped this.