Reports in France claim ManU not too happy with TH, still interested in Frey [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Fah Que, Oct 26, 2003.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ManU unhappy with Howard and looking to buy a new keeper [R]

I'm not sure I'd be hot to replace Cudicini either. Yes his error cost them points against Arsenal, but I was never one for punitive demotions anyway. Cudicini is still an excellent keeper and one of the best or maybe _the_ best in the Prem.

Obviously Abramovich has the money to spend, but it would seem like an inefficient use of funds to upgrade one of your better positions on the field.

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frey has been a starting keeper in Serie A since he was 19. I never thought of him as one of the best in Serie A, but for his age he is tremendous. He is one of the few guys who I would think might push Howard.

But it is unlikely to happen -- ManU has more pressing areas to spend money in.

And why Frey is not in the French team is a true mystery.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Friedel's defenders made him look great last year.

That's not a compliment of the defenders. ;)

4. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Mr French Frey should watch his mouth b4 Tim Howard dunks on his head.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard has been voted Man Of The Match at 33% and many belive including Sir Alex that they would have lost by a wider margin if not for Howard, so there

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way in Hell United are after a "starting" keeper to replace Howard. A backup might be signed but at this stage I think it would be damn near impossible to replace Howard unless he gets hurt. Frey's a good keeper but his mouth may cause some teams to back off. What's wrong with Parma anyway? Why doesn't Frey stay?

7. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    mountains of debt.

8. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    There is probably more money at Munich and definitely more money in Manchester, not to mention opportunity to win the Champions Cup. Frey, even though he is young, has played several years at the top level and is closer to reaching full potential than Howard. Howard has played only ten or so games at the top level. His upside is enormous! There are a number of very good young goalkeepers starting on significant European sides right now. All but Howard have been at it for several years. Imagine just how good Howard will be in four years when he has the kind of experience Frey has!

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its scary to think how good he'll be in 4 years, once he has experience in Europe. Howard's play obviously speaks for itself but he has Keller and Freidel to thank. If it wasn't for there successes, it would of been hard for United to even consider a Yank as there #1. I eventually think Howard will be considered our country's best keeper ever.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I've always been of the opinion that Iker Cassias (sp?) of Real Madrid is the best young keeper in the world. I mean he basically won the Champions Leage final vs Lerkusen didn't he?

11. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    I think Zidane might take offense to that after his superb volley. Anyways if I remember right Casillas didn't even start that game, he came in when Real Madrid's regular keeper at the time got injured and that was sort of his coming out party when in the last ten minutes Bayer was desperately trying to score the equaliser. Correct me if I'm wrong...

12. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    I agree that Casillas is the best young keeper right now, but he's been exposed to a lot more world class football than Howard. I don't recall if he started the Champions League final against Beyer.

13. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also have to agree that Casillas is the best young keeper right now in Europe maybe the world. But to suggest that Howard would have to sit on the bench to gain experience is ridiculous. Howard starts here now and he will have to come up big in very important games to get where Casillas is. He is the starting keeper and will remain so until he f***s up

14. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Frey isn't a top-five Serie A keeper, who's ahead of him? Buffon, sure. Toldo, okay, for now. Peruzzi, Dida? Doubt it...

See, this is the reason Frey wants to move away from Parma--to get in a big side and get noticed, because our little side (mountains of dept I doubt it!) just isn't shooting for the big titles anymore. Everybody says they think Casillas is the best because he's been on a high-profile team and won lots of things (of course, he is excellent, but there was that period when he was benched for Cesar). That's why Frey wants to go to somewhere like Bayern or Man Utd. Bayern looks the most likely at this point, based on Timmy's play.

Look, I'm not saying I don't want Howard to continue starting, but you're going to hear stuff like this for a while because Man Utd are a club that are expected to win every year, and having a "rookie" keeper is going to get some flak. If the fans have responded so well, that's brilliant. Barthez looks to be on the way out, but don't be surprised if a good, "veteran" keeper comes in just to keep Timmy on his toes...

15. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    If utd sign a keeper it would probably be somebody with experience. I cant see Frey going to utd. I dont think he has any upsides that Howard dosent have

Casillas i think started that game vs leverkusen. I dont think he is that great and madrid are very often linked with keepers. He practically never deals with crosses and just last week madrid were linked with cech a big tall guy who plays for rennes

16. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: impale yourself

hehe i guess i was too rough on you mate;) after all you are a real and man u fan:D. i dont follow the bundesliga either. you can find those transfer rumors in numerous website..

17. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would say 4 years of Serie A, including playing for Inter and Parma, is decent experience. More than Howard had, but yeah, somebody with lots of experience is probably the answer...but who's out there?

Cesar started the final against Leverkusen, Casillas played the last 25 minutes. And yes, he is a bit dodgy on crosses...

18. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    I meant in terms of ability. Howard will never get experience unless he plays.

There hasnt really been anything that Howard has done wrong so therefore i dont really believe it. Would they loan out barthez if they werent happy with howard and get in the french no3 or 4? I dont think so

Maybe they will get schmeichel in the coaching set up

19. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    He saved the 3 points against Rangers the other night, for sure :-(

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, if we're gonna over-react to every ``I'm a heading to manu rumor,'' it's gonna get old, and fast. We will know when SAf is tired of howard. he does not hide displeasure well. As of now, it's clear that he's sehr happy with his youngster.
    And i agree, Frey is a pointless addition for manu. Frey is young, talented and learning, just like the man manu now employs. if frey unseats kahn _ and I remember reading that kahm is talking about stepping down soon _ I would'nt be surprised to see kahn at manu next summer as experienced cover.

21. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kahn won Bayern their match again Kaiserslautern, held them their draw at Lyon with an unhuman save against Elber and saved Bayern from dropping out of the DFB-Pokal with numerous superb saves against Nuernberg. He had a bad period but is back now. He will keep playing till 2006! He is still mutch better than Howard!! If Kahn would move to ManU, what he will not for sure, cause he is set to become manager at Bayern after he retires as player, Howard could watch a real good goalkeeper from the bench!

And to Frey: Bayern are absolutely not interested in him cause they want back up and massive talent Rensing(19) to follow Kahn after 2006, thats also why they let Wessels go, cause he already slipped behind Rensing in their GK-order.

22. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Someone has, evidently, learned how to use "search" in big soccer.

23. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i heard that Kahn has some problems with his eyes, a developing disease or something, if what i heard is true

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's just what Kahn said to cover his ass for cheating and leaving his wife. He said he mistaked his mistress for his wife in the dark.

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he was talking about City? Surely they need cover for the aging ponytailed one they have now. :p