Report: talks of repeat of combined Copa America

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #76 Rahbiefowlah, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    After watching Marquinos, Gil and Dani Alves handle Ecuador's counter the other day, I'd venture the opinion that besides Neymar they brought their best this time. They're transitioning. That Germany back four is history.

Now, they are really banged up too right now...

jjmack repped this.
  2. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the more I think about this, the more I love the idea of the Copa SuperAmerica (let's just roll with it, please) being in addition to the Gold Cup and Copa America.

The confederation tournaments in the year after the World Cup and the combined tournament in the second summer after. That would be awesome to have each summer between World Cups filled with international tournaments.

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And get rid of the pointless second Gold Cup. Surely CONCACAF won't need the money from that one any more. Bah who are we kidding?

ATLfirefan repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I had high hopes for him, but that ship has sailed. A less spectacular Freddy Adu-type disappointment.
    [​IMG]

5. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea a lot actually. Better competition for the US 2 years before the world cup. I still would keep the Gold Cup though - one year before the combined Copa tournament kicked off. Let's say for instance that the winner of the Gold Cup and the third place team in the combined Copa tournament would have to face each other off for a playoff spot at the Confederation's Cup.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe, as we see all the time with immigrant families helping their kids become excellent soccer players, it's truly a passion thing.

Are many 3rd and 4th generation Americans being raised to be passionate about soccer? Likely no.

(TxT) repped this.
  7. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Maybe that is true where you are. I am just wondering why there are so few Latino kids on our natio
    `\_('_')_/`

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Because if you're an immigrant, you'll raise your kids to love YOUR NT. I'm going to make my kids love the US. If I move to Canada or Zimbabwe, I'm still raising USMNT fans. There's two generations right there, and a high chance that my kids will raise THEIR kids to be USMNT fans. Add in that our largest Latino group (Mexican) is right there on the border and that many people here have family over there, and you've got a recipe for a lot of support for teams other than the US.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

ATLfirefan, olephill2 and swedust repped this.
  10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 Burr, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Maybe, but my parents are Argentine and while I have a healthy love for Argentina thanks to them, I still root for USA first. They love this country just as much so I picked up the USMNT while watching the 1990 World Cup and was never dissuaded from it, and they ended up being just as big fans as I am in the end. I think the turning point for my dad was that 1995 Copa America upset win for us.

Everyone's different. It's not so cut and dry and I don't begrudge Mexican Americans their love of El Tri. It'd probably a bit different for me if I had more relatives around all the time and it wasn't a 9 hour flight to Argentina. But then I always like rooting for an underdog.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico being good, and the US being bad doesn't help. Add in the fact that we have been difficult to find on TV for a long time, and you've got lots of people exposed to other NT's, but not to the USMNT, even if they live here.

12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    This doesn't explain all of it. You might think there is no problem but I know there is a problem. Many of these kids are being filtered out at the higher end of elite club pay to play soccer and out of the upper levels of our youth national team program. There are more in the youth ranks right now so lets see if some more make it in the next few years.

13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah there's been no problem watching Mexico for ages and ages. Other Latin American sides not so much. Probably another reason I'm not just an albiceleste glorychaser.

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not commenting on Latinos in the national team, merely Latinos/other immigrant groups as fans of other national teams.

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    740282280875151360 is not a valid tweet id

16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    did someone say interleague baseball?

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is just denying the full blown merger where the separate regional tournaments no longer exist. That seems to have already been debunked anyway.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Methinks he doth deny with too much absolution.

olephill2 repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Oh fur $ho

ATLfirefan repped this.
  20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #95 tab5g, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ann-trump-clinton-world-cup-bid-copa-america/