Removing a Draft

Discussion in 'Technical Problems and Bug Reports' started by Red Card, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After writing a reply, I sometimes decide at the last moment not to post it. So I delete the draft and exit the thread.

Then at a later time when I want to post something else in the thread, I notice that the draft of the unposted reply is still there. I tried many ways to delete it. It just won't go away.

Finally I posted another reply, and was able to delete the original draft after the reply was posted. Thereafter the unposted draft was gone.

Is there anyway to delete a draft without having to post and delete?

EvanJ repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about posting a reply in the same thread as the draft?

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, this is something I have noticed since there was an update a few years ago. It was in one of the bugs threads we do when there is a major update, and I think it was said to be a feature, not a bug. IIRC, it was a response to the complaints we had about losing the multi-quote function (you remember that from the old, old BS, the old blue and yellow version?).

That said, I don't know if there is a way to have that time out after x number of minutes. @Janet H @dark knight is that possible?

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Weird - I thought you could edit the draft when it's still there. SN - you also can't edit the draft?

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I can edit the draft, but what I have experienced, and what I think @Red Card is getting at is that if we write a reply to a thread, and then decide not to post that reply, the text of the reply still hangs around in the reply box at the bottom of the thread, grayed out, but not deleted. See attached. The problem is that if we don't want to post that reply, but want to quote somebody else, we have to manually delete the initial reply (the grayed out in the image) even if it is several days later.

Attached Files:

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have blanked it out and then waited for it to "save the draft" - not optimal, it seems to take much longer to save the null reply than it did my long reply - but it does make it disappear after a while. Most of the time at least.
    Works nice if you aren't reading the site at the time, I'll blank out the reply then go to a different website for a while, or heaven forbid go do some work or something :)