Remembering 9/11/01

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by house18, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These statements are getting old :rolleyes:
    Do you realise if it wasn't for the French we Americans would be singing "God Save the Queen"?

I just met a hot French chick today so it's my duty to defend the French a little ;)

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    At this point in time I'd say it's your duty to screw the French a little.

3. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    That aint always the answer mate!

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, my bad then...thanks for the clarification. As to why so many people find it sad that it seems that everyone's already forgotten, I think it's just a product of our fast-paced, can't-wait-for-the-next-big-thing mentality. We live now in a society where big news is like entertainment for the networks, all stabbing each other in the throat for the best coverage, the newest angle. I think our country has lost all of the innocence it had left, and that's verified by the lack of real concern there seems to have been yesterday. We're just taught to move on to the big news from tomorrow. Remember Elian? The whole country was hanging on every move and just had this child's interests in mind - and now who cares where this kid is? Is he working in a Cuban sweatshop at 7 rolling Cubans? Nobody cares. It's just the way things seem to be in America today.

It means something different to each individual and it should be left as such. Grieve if you want. Face the day with fortitude. Be alone. The point is, do what's best for you and we should all try to just let everybody deal with it their own way. If they don't care, they don't care. Nothing's going to change that.

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They have sort of a saying for this phenomenon. Life goes on.

I doubt it's ever been different.

6. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    AFCA what a great post!
    ------------------------------------------------

I don´t really know why this thread is in the beautiful game forum.
    On the other hand, all people I know were really shocked about 9/11 and had a minute of silence in the Bundesliga stadiums.
    What really sucked were the Greek fans at Schalke who were yelling, singing and whistleing during the minute of silence (Sorry I don´t know the team, but it really plssed me off).
    Idiots are everywhere. Just see the posts about the Dutch singing "Deutschland über alles" or the French being ungrateful, just cause one sockpuppet posted such a dumb cartoon.

7. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Let's remember Hiroshima.

8. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    They may be old but it doesn't make them any less true does it? American (and British) soldiers sacrificed their lives freeing the French from the Nazis in WWII. That's a fact. And I agree with your statement about the French. We owe our independence to them and that's why I don't engage in the French-bashing some of my countrymen have done recently.

But when someone make insensitive, unprovoked and unnecessary statements about not caring about 9/11, I take them to task. And if this is such a crap thread and doesn't belong here there's an easy remedy: Ignore it! The starter of this thread (I think) wanted genuine, heartfelt, soccer related memories of 9/11 and thought he could get some nice responses. Instead, he got some trolls who felt it necessary to make simple-minded comments about it.

As for my statement about the Dutch singing "Deutschland uber alles" being idiotic, who else would have been able to free them from the Nazis? And who else would have given Europe billions of dollars to rebuild their shattered continent after the war? Who else would have spent billions afterwards to defend Europe from the Soviets? Who else would have stepped in to stop the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans? You're damned right it's ungrateful to say you don't care about 9/11. And I wasn't responding to the sockpuppet domingo so read the posts carefully before you call someone an idiot. I know the truth hurts but if a couple of you guys here don't want to hear it that's not my problem.

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nope.

Let me tell you what your problem is though.

You act like WW2 (thanx) means that we should be eternally grateful. Thus, we have to accept whatever the hell the US does. Cause you know, WW2. It doesn't work that way.
    The Marshall plan... great... but it was a bit more than charity my friend. It was an investment.

Fighting off the Soviets. Fantastic, although just maybe things would have been very different if the US didn't let itself get carried away. Just like is happening now and has basically happened on a constant basis after WW2.

Your country isn't god's gift to the world. Excuse us if we don't put American deaths over other deaths.

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Let's remember Pearl Harbor, stupid.

If you can't finish a war, don't start it.

No wonder why no one gives a fuck about Sweeden.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I would dearly love to meet you face to face but you must feel safe in the knowlege that it's not going to happen. (Hence the term Dutch Courage) Just like famous dutch marines in the Balkans, handing over people who came to them for help, for slaughter. Nice people. Video game?

You are correct in as much as this thread would have been better in the political board. But your whole attitude still sucks. "I don't understand, therefore I must ridicule"

I spent some time in Arnhem a few years back looking for my mother brother's grave. You must have been from around there judging by some of the people I met.

Nope.

Let me tell you what your problem is though.
    I love to here some dutch twit tell other what's wrong with them....!!!

12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for me, the most relevant soccer related memory is that the final US WCQ was prempted by the fact that the US started bombing Afghanistan that Saturday. The other sort of relevant memory is that I was a member of two other discussion boards that got so heated that I no longer go to either. One was killietalk and the other rss. Of course, that's about when I started really hanging out at bigsoccer a lot, too.

On an interesting note, the NY Times ran an interesting editorial yesterday starting with a description of death raining fromthe skies, leaving a building, a national monument, in flames. Over 3,000 people would die as a result. Of course, they were talking about September 11, 1973, not September 11, 2001. For all those who like to bash the US for our parochialism (yes, that includes me), it is heartening to see that the WTC bombing didn't crowd out memorializing deaths in other countries that the US had a hand in. Of course, it's the NYTimes, and not Fox news or something, but it's still something interesting.

13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah... it's good the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were incinerated in a flash, burnt beyond recognition and gave birth to freaks of nature for years after. Afterall... they were the ones responsible.

Like you said.

(I might have to remind you of your own words in the future. But I hope not)

14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What those of you who are blasting the Dutch don't get (and I'm too uninterested to really keep track) is that most people live in small countries. Small countries have a hard time fending off the armies of very large countries. Thus, these many people can be very suspicious of the motivations of very large countries, such as the US, Russia, and Germany. What many Americans don't get is that all big powerful countries get the skeptical eye, since they are so prone to throwing their weight around. It's not so hard to understand really.

G.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, we really shouldn't go there. The debate about these things is really unlikely to be fruitful. Someone might point out that in 1941 there were a great many signs that the US would enter the war, and that would mean an attack on Japan. From the Japanese standpoint, the doctrine of preemptive strikes against imminent threats (AKA the Bush doctrine) would mandate an attack on the US military at the most vulnerable place possible (i.e. pearl harbor.) It is of course worth noting that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor (military target) not Honolulu (civilian target).

Of course, that's probably too finely-balanced an argument (as in 'splitting hairs') and I'm too fond of folks like SABuffalo as soccer posters to want to get into the 99 million different possible interpretations of historical events.

Still some wise mod might want to move this to free-for-all since I suspect that's where it's headed.

G.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And if you still can't finish it, use nuclear weapons...

This thread is absurd. Someone lock it.

17. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The term Dutch courage is a BS term, part of a hate campaign from the times of the Dutch Republic a few centuries ago (they hated our freedoms... believe it or not). Good to see you know you're sh!t.

There's nothing wrong with the Dutch marines. There's something very wrong with the people in charge. If there's any country that was outraged by what happened there it was our country. But our politicians seem to disagree. I can't help that.

I'm not the one to say stuff because I'm safe, far away. But let's not go into that BS anymore from here on. You don't know me I don't know you.

Anyway... I ridicule the thread, not the event. Can't take that? Really too bad. Nothing personal.

Tempting as it is to keep responding here I won't. It turns into BS mudswinging anyway, which is allright in itself but makes me look like a bigger *@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@# than I actually am.

18. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Actually, the game from the very beginning was scheduled for the Sunday. And though the bombing started on Saturday, it was very, very late Saturday Eastern time, so many people didn't find out about it until the next day anyway.

I was at that game, too. I yelled myself until i was hoarse for three days.

And, technically, it wasn't the final WCQ, but it was the final home game, and it was the final game that mattered, since our win over Jamaica and Honduras' shock loss to T&T clinched our berth.

19. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    On a less serious note...

I noticed on ESPN how baseball tried to tie its sinking ship to 9/11, trotting out a logo combining the MLB logo with the red, white & blue ribbon. Though the mantra for the afternoon games at least was, as they say, 'Plenty of great seats still available!' This made me smile.

20. r9ronaldo

r9ronaldo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 5, 2003
    it was sad day, i was in class for my third year engineering class when this guy comes up to me and tells me about the twin towers and pentagon, i was like no way specially pentagon, i never thought any one could damage that symbol of military power Soon as the class was over off i went home and wacthed tv for the next two weeks i guess, tv, i am a news junkie anyways.
    On the side note, i am not american but i love GWB, he takes the fight to these bunch of terrorists, that is what leaders are to do. European leaders save Blair are all cowards, French are the prime example as for canada, where i live they don't count anyways

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

No, let's invade and kill several million people.

:rolleyes:

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but I never understood the connection between 9-11 and Iraq. Oh wait....there isn't any. Just ChimpBush and his merry band of lying, murdering neocons gone to save the world...and sycophant Blair, his willing rape victim and co-dependent partner. Surely Rummy, Dicky, and the Wolf have satisfied their thirst for black gold by now?

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Rationalization is always the best justification...

24. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    If there is a mod reading this thread please shut it down. I started this thread to find out some soccer related memories, such as mine, of that day, not to have political debates. I thought it was clear in my initial post and in my second post but some of you phukheads just don't get it. I don't give a phuk what country your from or what your political beliefs are. This was a heart felt thread until some of you morons ruined it. To those that actually posted within the spirit of this thread thank you, to the rest, well I won't sink to that level.

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The thing I remember most about the WTC attack was seeing people jumping from the top floors to escape the fires.

Those people woke up that morning ,went to work as if it would be a normal day....Then they were suddenly presented with the choice of 1)jump to your death or 2) burn alive...
    unbelievable.