Remaining mascot-less MLB teams?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Goodsport, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trivia question: now that the Chicago Cubs have introduced Clark, who are the three remaining MLB teams that don't officially have a mascot? :)

-G

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three of the grossest teams in the sport.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Why? Because they're from big markets and therefore don't go around whining that they are disadvantaged and poverty-striken all the time? I'm astonished to realize there are only 3 teams left with the dignity to be professional enough that they don't want mascots.

I find the fan-friendly excuse to having masocts to be laughable. If those teams truly want to be fan-friendly, they should ban alcohol at their stadiums. There's nothing less fan-friendly than sitting around drunken louts at a sporting event.

4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Yankees are twats
    The Dodgers are traitor bitches
    The Angels waste more money than any other team in baseball

Screw them all

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Cubs on Mascot Backlash: 'Despicable' - ESPN
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/10293344/chicago-cubs-not-surprised-backlash-mascot
    [​IMG]

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Dear Chicago Cubs: Children and families have enjoyed baseball for over 100 years without the bogus come-on of a silly mascot to entice them. Charge reasonable prices and put a good team on the field and you will be fine. (And maybe constructing a 21st-century ballpark would help, too.)

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Screw that!

8. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay grandpa...

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mascots aren't completely useless...

If there's a chance a catcher might tell Jason Hammel to "drill Clarkie" on his first start, I'd be there...

10. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I would go to a lot more baseball games if the prices weren't so crazy. One of the things I do not look forward to as soccer grows in the US are the insane ticket prices we'll start to see.

guignol repped this.
  11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yeah, I remember when going to a baseball game was like going to a movie. You could decide at the last minute to see a game with no worries. Now. you need to plan and make sure your wallet can take the hit. And you're correct that soccer will go that way the minute they they think they can get away with it.

guignol repped this.
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i was at wrigley a couple weeks ago and there was no clark to be seen. but it sounded like howie mandel doing TMOTTBG. as for prices i got two seats for $8 each, which included $3 per ticket stubhub fees.
    i used to go see the giants a LOT in the late 80's for $2.50 a pop. now it's $20 for standing room... and the seat nazis ensure that the riffraff who only pay 20 bucks do exactly that. which wouldn't bother me so much if standing (which i do at gerland anyway) also included seeing. instead of just having access to the despicably pretentious and shockingly expensive concessions.

13. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most games I ever saw in-person was in Boston. Reason? Aside from cheap seats back then - Public Transportation. It was convenient (Green Line trolleys from my place) and fun to ride with other fans. I could see right field from the top of my building in Kenmore. Being in-town is a huge plus for me with any sports team. Galaxy games in Carson feel like Anywhere USA - that location is completly messed up. Nothing distinctly home-friendly about Carson, CA.

I tried Dodger baseball for a few years but, from OC, it's a major hassle to drive up there. Add on all the increased prices and I'm following with ESPN web-gems and forums like this. Anaheim Stadium is ugly and just a freeway and a lot of parking lots. The restaurants around it are overpriced, average watering holes. The Disney-era coincided when I gave them a shot and those times were atrocious. Disney characters on-field, endless "Let's all get together and Cheer kids"...yadda, yadda. Sad times for the Angels.