Rem

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by monster, Oct 9, 2003.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw them last night at the Patriot Center outside of DC.

Wow. Just Wow. This is the fifth time I have seen them and by far the best. Played all three songs I requested on their Web site. Generally looked like they were having the time of their lives.

Great stuff.

2. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Details, please. What three songs? I haven't looked at any setlists from the NA leg (I like to be surprised, I guess), but I'd be interested in hearing more.

I'm going on Saturday at Philips here in the ATL.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Believe - killer

Rockville - incredible

Permanent Vacation - never been happier

Also played Orange Crush, Exhuming McCarthy, World Leader Pretend, Nightswinng, Life and How to Live it.

Unreal set, unreal night.

4. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    REM are my favourite all-time group, would love the chance to see them play live one day. :)

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw them last night in Atlanta. Great set. Played Life and How to Live It, Wolves and my favorite...Gardening at Night. It was one of the best performances I've seen them put on and I've been seeing them live since 1985 and the Fables of the Reconstruction Tour. Geez, I'm old.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i've seen them twice (document, green) - great concerts indeed

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that set list. I officially hate you. :p The DC set was one song away from being nirvana - either Gardening or RFE or Wolves. In fact, for a second after Permanent Vacation, I thought they were going to playone more before End o' World.

End o World was unreal in DC. Michael ended up playing guitar while Peter banged on the paino (after doing jumping jacks in the middle of the stage). A surreal scene.

Then Bill played in Raleigh. Sang backup on RFE, then sat in on drums for Permanent Vacation. These last three shows (DC, Raleigh, Atlanta) better be available online soon.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't heard that Bill Berry sat in on drums in Raleigh! That would've been really cool to see. Having talked to him once or twice in some bars in Athens during my UGA days I can tell you that he is very cool, very laid back. (soccer connection...since this is BS...I actually played on an U-14 club team with his nephew a long time ago.)
    Forgot to mention that they also played Sitting Still and Radio Free Europe. My friend and I were yelling for Shaking Through, but no such luck. Just like everywhere else, they finished with End of the World and nearly brought the roof down.
    As I said, it was one of the best REM shows I've ever seen. In fact the only one I would rank higher was when I saw the final show of the Green tour in 1988. They played several shows at the old Omni (which I saw) then went to a few more cities before ending with a one-night only show at the Fox Theater here in Atlanta. Since you may not be familiar with city, the Fox is an old historic theater that's not very big but a great place to see bands and was the venue for REM shows before they got big. At that show they did some of their regular Green set then took a break, came back on and did Murmur from start to finish.....I'm not exaggerating. It was amazing.
    Sorry for the long post...it's just always great to talk REM with true fans.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read about that Fox show and been just floored by that idea. I'm still on a high from last week.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you mean. Filled up my car's CD changer with REM discs the day after the show.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
  12. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    My girl (biggest REM fan I've ever met) saw them in KC last month and couldn't have been happier. Said they played a lot of stuff off of Fables and Life's Rich Pagent. I'm not the biggest fan (don't dislike) so I forget which songs she said, but said the set list couldn't have been much better.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting article. Some of the sentiments expressed really hit home. I can remember being a sophomore in college (yes, UGA and yes I'm showing my age) going to the "Green" show at the Omni and being thoroughly disgusted that REM was playing a large arena, that I was paying to see them in a large arena and that the crowd was full of pre-pubescents shouting "Stand" at the top of their lungs. It was definitely the end of the world as I knew it because REM was "selling out." With time (and I'd like to think maturity), I got over it and started to appreciate the new music and new fans. I still think "New Adventures" is a very under-rated album.
    That being said, "Up" and "Reveal" worried me and I still worry about the future of REM. I don't want them to become a joke nostalgia act but at the same time I loved the last show so much because they played a lot of old stuff.
    Oh well, sorry for the stream of consciousness ramblings. It will be very interesting to hear the new album in 2004 and see what direction they're headed.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
    Perhaps I was at the same show. Was it one of the ones at the Fox? I remember it well. The Minutemen and Jason and the Scorchers opened. Damn, that was a long time ago.

I loved seeing them at the Fox. It is such a great venue. I saw shows from the two following tours there. Then they released Green, which I hated, and they had to move on to the Omni. Oh well.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was at the Fox and I think the Minutemen did open. I was racking my brain trying to remember that but could only recall that Let's Active opened the next year and the DB's the year after that.
    The Fox was the best place to see them.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Bill Berry's been playing with them? Hadn't heard that.

He's indirectly responsible for me getting my first car. He sold a used car to a friend's father, and that family sold us the car I wound up driving.

That and seeing Michael Stipe one day at a downtown pizza place are the only R.E.M. connections I have from 17 years and two summers of living in Athens.

I think they lost the way after "Monster," but they've turned out the occasional good song. With the state of the music industry these days, it's refreshing to hear them on the radio again.