Religion in schools gone wild: Gideon and Llewellyn fight for airtime

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by christopher d, Apr 20, 2006.

1. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Wierd, wacky story out of North Carolina. The Brunswick County school district has voted to allow religious groups to hand out their religions' sacred / educational materials to interested students. But, because of the Equal Access Act of 1984, they'll have to allow any religion that wants to participate to do so. From the article:

The group "Freedom From Religion is also primed to donate their literature to Our Children (tm)
    The great part of this story is that the folks that voted for the bill say they welcome as much participation as possible. The school board chair, who voted against it, has qualms about the broad-base ramifications of alowing "religious groups" to talk to students.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this isn't the perfect chance to get the word out on The Church of Foos, I don't know what is.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My senior year in highschool, a few jacknut evangelical students started a newsletter and handed it out in school. Some of us complained and were told by the Asst Principal just to ignore them if we were offended. So we started an organnization called OASIS (Organized Agnostics Step in Shit) and distributed our own newsletter. I wrote an article called "The Power of Ambiguous Belief" that argued for the benefits of only believing half the Bible. It offered formulas for dividing the Bible in believe and notbelieve halves a multiple number of ways. Needless to say, all religious handouts were promptly banned.

4. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Got a copy of that on a 5.5" floppy somewhere?

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick, somebody come up with a slick trifold!

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I do for a living (create marketing and sales materials), but I'm really busy till next Tuesday. I'll see what I can do then. :D

7. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Update on this story. The book in the picture, btw, is hardly the book to be afraid of, except for the word "Pagan" in 72pt type. Reads like a sociology text :rolleyes:.

Good for the FSM folks to get their stuff in.