Relax, Edu has a plan. It probably involves buyouts - January 2022 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 9, 2021.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should think about nominating you as permanent MD thread starter. ;)

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is apparently what led to my hasty & errant post on the morning after DD. Glad it's all settled now! And what Gunnerblog & Ornacle laid out seems logical.

Also it looks like they all had to think/work pretty hard on solving the Auba mess, which I guess they deserve some credit for. However, this may have distracted them somewhat from the other balls we had up in the air, AND it's not insignificant that the whole mess might've been made worse by the club, i.e. Arteta.

In any case, it's quite clear that it's good we've unwound it. But it does make you wonder, if there's another one of these in our future. Ozil, Auba, ???

I might've added Guen to this list but he's not quite the high profile of those other two, plus until that's a done deal I figured I shouldn't. And I'm purposely leaving out Koz because that seems to have different root causes.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And shoot, even after you used an all-powerful :D emoticon before to try to make that clear!

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's an important part. Quite some time ago Arsenal lost it's top-tier cachet (e.g. 20+ years straight in UCL) and so I bet we had a much better chance of negotiating/securing incoming talent early. Now it would be completely understandable if a potential signing wanted to wait and see whether we make UEL next season, let alone UCL, before pledging to us.

That said, I supposed there is probably some good work we can do in getting as far as possible with the other side (club/player/agent), and whatever that work is, we should try hard to get as much of it done before June 1.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose I'll leave this thread open for a bit if folks want to re-hash the January window. But not for too much longer.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why close it at all? Matchday threads don’t get that treatment.

Oh God I hope I didn’t just jinx that!

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because at some point, it's confusing to have transfer issues discussed in two different threads, which will inevitably happen.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1108 NorthBank, Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Don't disagree, but we've been seeing that happen in MD threads for as long as I can remember, especially when no new thread is available. But I suppose you could argue that it's slightly less confusing to talk about the upcoming match in the previous match's thread?

I raised the question about closing the old transfer thread, in part because it's the only type of thread we (you) seem to do that for. But also because a few years back I got the very distinct impression that the masses weren't bothered by a significant trend towards "topic creep". In fact most of our brethren didn't want to be restricted to staying on-topic. Remember the old Other Teams thread debate?

Edit: Or how about the brand new Summer Transfer thread, which so far is more about non-transfer topics like the effectiveness of different types of corner kicks. ;)

Since then, I have rather successfully suppressed my inclination for orderly on-topic threads, unlearned some habits, and just... go with the flow. :)

For the record, I don't really mind if you close the January transfer thread... you just have to decide then when is the right time... now? Or when the talk dies down about Auba's move/cancellation/terms/etc? Or ??

9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wanye_stirrear repped this.