Relax, Edu has a plan. It probably involves buyouts - January 2022 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 9, 2021.

1. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Elneny, Kolasinac and Lacazette are all entering the final 10 months of their contracts, will they get buyouts like Ozil, Sokratis and Mustafi received last year?

Will anything happen with Arsenal's young strikers? Maybe Balogun goes on loan if he isn't playing enough with the first team? Nketiah's contract is also expiring, he won't get a buyout but there could be some resolution.

Could there be an exit for squad players like Cedric, Chambers, Mari, or Maitland-Niles? Could Leno want out if he is surpassed by Ramsdale?

Baring an injury crisis and the need for a short term loan, I don't expect any incomings.

maskito repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If they were willing to buy out Kolasinac they’d have already done it. They’ll let him sit and then go for free in January, without a buy out, if he’s tired of sitting. They will not buy out Lacazette without an incoming striker, they will need him when Aubameyang leaves for AFCON. Arteta trusts Elneny, he’s on relatively low wages, and he’s apparently well liked in the dressing room, why buy him out? It’s much more likely all three leave for free next June

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kola - he only gets bought out if he reduces his demands (rumored to want his full remaining contract). Otherwise he heads out in the summer or maybe loaned out.

Laca - plays out his contract and moves on in the summer. Unless someone steps up we will need the ST depth and buying a quality ST in Jan will be hard.

Elneny - likely leaves in the summer unless he forces a move in Jan. I think he would rather convince us to extend then force his way out.

Eddie
    - either extends and gets an opportunity to prove his worth or he rots on the u23s and leaves in Jan/next summer.

Balogun - should have went on a loan this summer. Assume sticking with the 1st team was part of his extension. If he doesn't go on loan in Jan, I think he needs to go on loan next summer.

Other Outgoings - doubt we see any in Jan unless someone (AMN?) pushes there way out over playing time. I think Leno leaves but more likely in the summer. Jan market for GKs isn't typically good unless someone is desperate due to injury.

Incomings - after what we spent this summer, I highly doubt we buy anyone unless we get desperate due to injury. IF (big bold if) we buy anyone it would most likely be a CM. Current roster in theory has flexibility and very little holes as it pertains to depth except at CM. You can argue quality all day but depth at most positions is actually pretty solid.

AEAAFC96 and daedalus repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for starting the new thread for the next window, but is 1 week all the time off we get??? :p

5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was skilled in this sort of thing, I'd 100% design an Arsenal logo where the cannon is attached to a tank. Similar to this...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately we're not gonna be able to stockpile draft picks using this strategy.

AEAAFC96, ArsenalMetro and GunnerJacket repped this.
  6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I thought I was showing restraint :)

Re buyouts - they are a function of two things. One - how much time is left on the deal? Closer to the end, the less guaranteed money is on the table, the easier it is to buy out. In the last window before the contract expires, there is no more hope of someone coming along and offering to pay a fee. That's why Ozil, Sokratis and Mustafi all got buyouts last January and not sooner.

The other is playing time. Players who are playing regularly are happy to stay, those who are not don't want to sit around with nothing to do for 6 more months. I hope Kolasinac doesn't play another minute, I'd rather see AMN or even Patino in the cups ahead of Elneny who will leave for AFCON anyway, and while I'd like to see Lacazette left out, I'm less confident of that happening. Will Laca be happy if his playing time is very limited or will he get restless?

daedalus repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    We know the incentive for the players, what’s the incentive for Arsenal to buy out the remainder of the players’ contracts. Last season Arsenal were paying the salaries of players that weren’t registered, which created some toxicity around the team. That’s not an case this season. So the only incentive for Arsenal is financial, but I don’t expect any more Willians. The players and their agents will probably hold out for full payment, unless a deal is reached with a “buying” club and Arsenal pay the difference between the new clubs contract and the Arsenal contract. Either Arsenal hasn’t engaged in those types of discussions this summer or the players’ wage demands for the ensuing years of their new contracts have killed any potential deals. I’m not sure that will change in January.

In addition, while both you and I would like to see AMN and/or Patino in cup games and on the bench in league games rather than Elneny, Arteta loves his experience and ball security and he’s only on £52,000 a week, so the financial incentive for buying out his existing contract is minimal. Finally, unless Balogun or Martinelli start scoring goals in bunches, they won’t buy out Lacazette until they have another striker over the age of 20 to take his place.

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Worried about the players we lose during ACON.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depending on the team's form, I might be more worried about the players coming back!

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Leno benched today in favor of Ramsdale. And the latter not having a bad day out in his first EPL test for us. I wonder if there's any chance of Leno going out in January. But then if we were to do that, we'd have to bring in another strong #2 at the same time right?

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possible but i doubt Leno goes anywhere until the summer unless someone throws a big offer at us.

maskito repped this.
  12. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Leno a problem we needed to fix, or was Ramsdale just too good to pass up?

Maybe Leno has hinted at being unhappy at Arsenal and we knew he would need to be replaced this year or next?

I just really hadn't given Leno much of a thought until Ramsdale started vs. Norwich.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I think that's it.

Also, in the last 6-12 mos he had started to show a little bit of regression, a few more mistakes, which introduced more doubts.

Prior to that (and even into this most recent window TBH) I didn't think our #1 was a problem that needed to be fixed, more so our #2.

So, if I'm being generous, I'd say that management may have fixed both #2 & #1 in one fell swoop... Ramsdale.

And next summer, assuming Leno's gone and Ramsdale is good enough for #1, then we'll need to buy or promote a new #2.

14. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club has clearly mismanaged the GK situation over the last decade since Mad Jens was the last undisputed starter. Almunia, Fabianski, Szcesny, and even Ospina were all possible replacements, but none of them was ready to earn/win the starting spot. It's sad the Cech was a notable upgrade over that previous list, despite being a Chelski cast-off.

on Monday's ArseCast, they were discussing how Ramsdale seems to be a better communicator than Leno. They made it clear that Leno does shout instructions, but Ramsdale seems to have much better command of the backline. That may be the key piece we need to shore up our defense, and why Ramsdale was deemed an essential upgrade, especially being English and also at a reasonably young age.

Silva 5, NorthBank and daedalus repped this.
  15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing some rumors of a possible Laca + cash for En-Nesryi swap in Jan. Sevilla has supposedly expressed interest in Laca and we have been linked to En-Nesryi in the past. En-Nesryi has 4 yrs left on his deal but is said to be interested in a move from La Liga.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It’s funny because Fabianski became one of the best keepers in the league after he left and Szczesny replaced one of the greatest keepers ever at Juve.

I think we had a bad goalkeeping coach and he messed it up for those two. Gerry Payton? Cech had issues with him too.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    emi martinez - someone people jizz themselves over now - was apparently not amazing under payton.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How did Leon Bailey end up and Villa?!?!

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They offer Leverkusen money

20. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    He has been fun to watch while I have seen Villa matches and kinda wish we had gone for him.

21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Despite all the clear issues we've had with getting rid of players, I will say that on first glance, every single player brought in this past window seems to be a big win. Which is a huge reversal of fortune from the past, what, eight years of transfers?

22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This took me down a transfer rabbit hole…imagine buying Kante for less than Elneny in that 15/16 window…I think Wenger would have been riding out of the league with a last PL trophy if we’d done that. Or imagine not buying Laca and Auba in the same year for a combined 100M pounds…Or imagine not spending 90M combined on Mustafi, Xhaka, and Lucas Perez in the same window…

At some point I will find a way to get out of the fetal position today

daedalus, DaPrince84 and maskito repped this.
  23. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheer up, there were a few gems in there...
    We spent £11M for Koscielny.
    I think the BFG was around £12M a few years later.
    Granted, Giroud wasn't the marquee man we needed to replace RvP, but at £15M, he paid for himself.
    Cazorla was half price at £18 or so.
    Bellerin was half of the £350k we gave Barca for he and (Toral, maybe?).
    Hell, Chamakh was free!!!

Super Llama repped this.
  24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both big Per and Giroud were less than the prices you quote even.

But both of those were a loooong time ago now.

25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Giroud was 12 million

Poldolski was like 11.5

BFG was definitely under 10 million

I think Cazorla was under 18 million.

We started having the unproductive transfer windows when we only signed Cech. I would say we made a mistake buying Sanchez instead of building around Özil, but Sanchez was productive.

daedalus repped this.