Rekindling a Rivalry (Goff 9/25)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Victory, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60225-2003Sep24.html

The usual expected good work from Goff.

Bobby starts because Q2 is suspended.

As for Convey, "I still don't know if he's ready -- physically and emotionally -- but he's close and his team needs him," Hudson said

Tino had knee surgery and is out two-three weeks. Not like he has been playing anyways.

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if Bobby's confidence problem comes from Ray talking about Bobby having a confidence problem.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i read this story a couple of hours ago on my way to work on the metro. Convey needs to GET OVER what happened in England. the guy is walking around the pitch in a daze, and it's not helping us one bit. I would feel better about him not playing if he were actually injured like Quaranta, but to just be lethargic for us because you are pissed about the British board is a disservice to the team. He was TERRIBLE against the Galaxy last weekend!

4. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    From the Goff article
    I thought the game was at 7:30pm, is that not true?

5. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Game's @ 4pm @ RFK on Sund@y.

6. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Yep, 4:00 p.m. but I checked the guide on Cox Cable, no TV coverage.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    As for Convey, "I still don't know if he's ready -- physically and emotionally -- but he's close and his team needs him," Hudson said.

Why the hell should Convey not be physically ready?
    If golden boy was going to the EPL shouldn't he have been in the best shape of his life?
    Emotionally? What is this DR.Phil?
    Time to step up. We want all heart and fire not BS about emotions. Play well and the EPL might come looking again.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
  10. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    It's the first one that doesn't, which is the article on the top of the DC United homepage.

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Bobby get so horribly unfit to go from 'a great transfer to Tottenham' to 'I don't know if he's ready'....its only been 6 weeks

12. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    A lack of physical and emotional fitness hasn't kept Marco off the field these last few seasons, so why shouldn't Convey play?

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here here!!! I am going to the game at RFK on Sunday, and I would be very hopefully that Convey doesn't laze around the field in a stupor all game. We are in a serious playoff run! Somebody on this team needs to stop making excuses for him and tell him to get his head out of his sphincter and play!

14. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    [not trolling]

If Convey isn't really emotionally ready to play, is playing him away to Metro really the best place to check, by throwing him to the wolves? What if Hudson was right, that he does have a serious emotional problem and he fails in an inhospitable environment on the road? Then what? He snaps?

Hudson is strange. Either he's inventing the seriousness of the problem, or he's showing callous disregard for his player by putting him out there.

I agree with Begbie that he should be able to get over it (no one died, afterall), but it doesn't seem like a smart move for the player. It's like checking to see if someone can swim by putting him in the ocean. When he drowns, you don't say "Well, now we know if he can swim or not".

15. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    That argument might make sense if we were talking about someone learning to swim as opposed to someone who's just been knocked about by the waves a bit (how's that for taking the analogy and running with it).

Bobby's suffered no injuries, just a slightly damaged pride. I say this is more a case of falling off the horse and getting right the *#*#*#*# back on.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hudson does this all the time. Some player in whom he has confidence isn't doing well and so he challenges him. Here's a big game, it's sink or swim. But I think at this point it's a managerial tactic that's been revealed as utter bullsh-t because of his evident reluctance to proclaim drowned anyone in whom he has confidence even when they actually have sunk.

The problem with Hudson and Convey, however, is very different. It's never been clear to me that Hudson has any confidence in Convey. For Hudson some players it seems can do no wrong. Convey, on the other hand, seems never to do right. His game is never complete. He's never adequately prepared. He's not in shape. His game isn't smart enough. It's too much of that McDonalds soccer. His mental game isn't there. Hudson has been nothing but skeptical about Convey's ability. Disagree if you like but it seems like I've been listening to Hudson drone on about the inadequacy of Convey's game for years now and that's my impression. Is it any wonder that he under-performs at the club level?

So there's Hudson saying "I still don't know if he's ready -- physically and emotionally -- but he's close and his team needs him." Well that's what Hudson has been saying for years. It's not going to change.

Honestly, I've begun to think that for the sake of his career DC United needs to trade Convey if Hudson's going to stay on as coach. As I see it it's been made adundately clear that he's never going to be given the chance to succeed under Hudson.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not disagree one bit. THAT is definitely the issue here. I truly don't believe that Convey is all that highly rated by Hudson. the truth of the matter though is that i'm closer to Hudson on this one than apparently I am to Bruce Arena. I keep hearing about how great Convey is, and i just don't see it yet. I think it will take someone pushing him to get him at his highest level. There are several guys in MLS right now who are around his age and are performing MUCH better than Convey. Here we are on the day of a big game against the Metros, and if you asked me who i would rather have on my team, R. Clarke or B. Convey, you take a guess on who i'd take ................ no contest, i'd take Clarke. Honestly, i wasn't surprised that the British board ruled the way they did. He has not established himself as a great player yet, and i think Hudson is trying to get his goat. I'm nearly certain that Hudson was hoping with all his heart that Convey GOT the permit, so that he could use the roster spot on someone else. Look, Convey is a player on a team I love. I BELIEVE that he CAN be great one day, most notably for the NATS. But what we are seeing between the 2 is just a difference in style, form, and maybe even substance. Go United!

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Perhaps Convey has taken this harder than we all thought. After all, he's only 20, and if Tino can get slack for being an all around F##K-up (or so it would seem), I'm sure we can give Convey some time to recover from having your life's ambition so cruelly siezed from him.

Sachin