Reigning on sunday - the 2014/2015 off/pre season thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    #1 Blaze20, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    So I too just saw this on twitter and trying to get the pieces together.
    • Apparently she signed a 1 year contract with FFC Frankfurt to play the 2014/2015 season.
    • This is an interesting move and a good one for her if Wales qualifies for the world cup.
    • Given the uncertainty of what the NWSL will look like next season and the fact that all major players will be gone, this move give her the opportunity to play in a stable competitive league leading up to the world cup. It's certain better than playing in 3 leagues (Scottish, WLeague, NWSL) on 3 different continents prior to the world cup. It keeps her training consistent and focussed.
    • If the schedule on the bundesliga website is correct (verified and it's not), their season ends in early May which should give her enough time for a brief rest and rejoin her the world cup
    • All information I have seen so far leaves me with the impression that she will be back from the second half of the NWSL 2015 season.
    • Now this leads me to believe that Kim Little might be another Reign player with a similar move as it will make sense for her too if Scotland qualifies.
    One final point, this means I have to start following the German league more closely now. Oh well, this is certainly one of the ways that women's soccer grow across the globe when fans follow their favorite players.

2. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    She'll also have a chance to play in UWCL.
    http://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/newsid=2131680.html

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  4. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    You're probably right but Frankfurt has 3 UWCL titles already and since she won league titles with Glasgow and Melbourne, why not add UCWL title to that?:)

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Lol, I doubt Frankfurt is among the favs to win that. May guess is at best they make it to the quarters or semi's depending on the draw. If the win, that's be great for Fishlock though.

I guess my point is unlike Rapinoe last year who cited Champions League for the reason she left (we all know it was the money), I doubt this is the same deal with Fishlock. She doesn't doesn't come across as the type that chases prestige and would be just as happy playing a pick up game in the parking lot of walmart as she would be playing on the biggest stage.

6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    No, they aren't the favourites, but you never know. They certainly have a lot of problems to resolve (starting with Marozsan).

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    john 'blaze' snow;.........u know nothing!(sorry, just a quote from a Game of Thrones fan!)

but Frankfurt should now have 11 German NT's(including 5 that currently start, 2 Japanese NT's, 1 Swiss & and now Fishlock

I'm sure their be favorites(along with Wolfsburg) to win the CL

8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    It means nothing if there are other problems within an organisation.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #9 hotjam2, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    there's no other real other competition for the CL crown either.; it's just Frankfurt & Wolsburg in the top league in Europe, then the 2 French teams, PSG & Lyon(who only have themselves to compete with in their own league), and Rosengard, who despite adding Marta, still don't have to personnel to match last year's Tyreso.
    But then, who knows how many more nwsl players will make their way to Europe?

Blaze, noting from your other thread post, if your looking to see exciting Bundesliga games, you probably be disappointed! It's usually all stars from Frankfurt & Wolfsburg looking half bored as they take on other Bundesliga teams with zero NT's on them.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fishlock's partner also plays in England, those are shorter trek than transatlantic ones.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Here's the Reign official position on the move. This is as I suspected and it may give us an indication of what the NWSL schedule will look like in 2015

12. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    nice for Jess, she will really enjoy the Frauen-Bundeslige I think..

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    The off-season/pre-season is finally upon us. We are all aware of how brilliant the last one was. Can we match that? Can we exceed it? So many questions, so much time. Let's discuss.

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If there's a win on Sunday how, when, etc., etc., will tickets for the final be available/allocated? If Portland manages to beat KC (and the Reign win) my guess is ticket demand might exceed what Starfire is supposed to hold by about 2 or 3 times?

15. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Elli Reed have been loaned out to the Melbourne Victory in the WLeague.

This is the team that both Fishlock and Barnes played for earlier in the year and won the championship.

Good luck to Reed and we will be tracking her progress over here. It may be that Barnes join her as well as those two are inseparable.

17. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    I think my first comment on NWSL forum was to criticize Reed's passing in the first game of the season.

Wow, have I learned now not to stake your impressions on a single game. She has had an amazing year!

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Hmm... is it just me, or does this cast into doubt any potential Seattle participation in mobcast? Loaning a player to a team already confirmed to be participating there?

blissett repped this.
  19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I don't know. Maybe if Seattle were to partake, they could go deep on their bench and use Brigman who if I'm not mistaken played a bit of RB in college. That will be a good way to judge her readiness for next season.

Either way, I'm not sure if Seattle will be partaking. Doesn't the time frame overlap with the purported USWNT friendly tournament in Brazil?

Also while I have you here, do you know of any website/twitter-account that provide up to date information on the WLeague? I want to start following a bit more than last season

20. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Blaze20 repped this.
  21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Thanks.

This is such a short turnaround for her because the Reign play the championship on August 31 and she leaves the next day. No time to say proper good byes.
    Do we know when Goebel joins Kobe?

22. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    I'm afaraid Naho is needed in Japan ASAP. The first game in the championship series is the August 31, and INAC start with only 2 points this series of six teams (the four teams over INAC start with 6-5-4 and 3 points), and INAC doesnt look good without Naho, Bev, Kinga and Ji So Yun (only Naho and Bev return).

http://fullbloomfootball.blogspot.jp/2014/08/nadeshiko-league-exciting-series.html

http://fullbloomfootball.blogspot.jp/2014/03/nadeshiko-league-standings.html

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Oh no I understand that she's needed immediately and quite frankly I'm grateful to Kobe for loaning them to us even to the detriment of their own team. I was just shocked that it was so soon.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Huh, hadn't heard of a USWNT friendly around then. Though that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, considering how much USSF loves its WNT friendlies....

Anyway, I'm nowhere near an expert at following the Aussie league, but all of the W-League teams have their own Twitter accounts, as does the league itself. Soccerway usually is quite up-to-date on the vitals for the league itself, though obviously there's no news there and usually no player info. There's also The Women's Game, (blog and Twitter account,) which is basically the Aussie version of The Equalizer.

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And they've added Vero.